Refuses to take pumped bottle anymore!!

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 10th, 2005, 09:27 AM
abbezma's Avatar Regular
Hi !! I have been bf for 3.5 months and absolutely love it!! Problem is my dd was taking a bottle of pumped milk the odd time so that i could get out alone with my dh..I stopped because we hadn't gone out in awhile and for the last few weeks when I leave her for a few hours, I haven't left her longer then 3 hours, she won,t take it. I know she prefers breast but..i would like to know that if something were to happen to me that she would take a bottle. My husband has tried giving her it at night but this is a no go !! Any advice!!

I Love My Baby!!
March 10th, 2005, 09:37 AM
LuckyGirlx4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
HOw long is your daughter going between feeding? Could you feed her just before you leave, and be back intime for the next one?
When your hubby gives her the bottle, are you around? Our babies can smell us when they can't see us if we are around- why take the bottle when you know the real thing is here? Ya know?
All I can really say about this is last December my second daughter was in the hospital and I had no choice but to leave my 6 month old- never took a pacifier, bottle or anything but boob- son with my husband and my oldest daughter for 3 days. I was able to nurse him during visiting hours of course, but when they were home, my dh just kept trying and trying and Corbin eventually took some by bottle.
Let us know how it goes- whatever you decide.

</div>
March 10th, 2005, 10:36 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
My dd Angie never liked to take the bottle. I worked full time with her and she would go six hours sometimes without taking a bottle. She would just wait till I got home. We started reverse cycling and nursing more frequently at night. Maybe you could try cluster feedings right before you leave her. Angie could go several hours without nursing because she did not like the bottle. You could also see about getting a cup feeder instead. My kids have never liked the bottle. Just a few ideas.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
March 10th, 2005, 11:53 AM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to QueBuscuit
Those are all great ideas... none of them worked for me.

I had the same problem when my dd was 3 months old and I had to have my sleep! What I ended up doing was reseverving a weekend with my husband to try and accomplish the bottle task. My husband (not me, bc she wouldnt ever take a bottle from me >bc of my smell< but she does now) started at a time when she wasnt sleepy and started to feed her like 15 minutes before she usually eats. He put a dab of watered down karol syrup (you have to be careful wth that stuff bc it has lots of calories) on the tip of the bottle and a little bit in it to sweeten it. She took a little bit and when she decided she didnt want the bottle, he put it away for an hour and tried the next hour. He did this for three more tries and she took it. She was taking a bottle everyday, till today because we introduced the sippy cup. She did great.

She still wont take the bottle if she's sick... there's no substitute for mommy when she's sick
DD: NEVAEH ARIEL: BORN ON SEPT. 15, 2004

March 10th, 2005, 12:53 PM
abbezma's Avatar Regular
Thank-you for all the advice!! I probably wouldn't be away for more then 4-5 hours right now , so I will have to get dh to try when I am out doing the groceries! She probably hasn't been that hungry when we have because she does feed at least every 2-3 hrs during the day and now only 2x during night!!WE will keep trying!!

I Love My Baby!!
March 10th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to QueBuscuit
good luck!

nevy doesnt eat at night (she sleeps from 8pm- 6am), so we dont have so much trouble coaxing her into eating in the day.

hope everything works out!
DD: NEVAEH ARIEL: BORN ON SEPT. 15, 2004

March 11th, 2005, 06:42 AM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to Ana_and_Gage&#39;s_Mommy
My son wont take one anymore either , he use to take a bottle great. I use to be able to have a few drinks and then bottle feed previously pumped milke, but not anymore, at one he only wants the breast. Oh well huh, Im planning to get prego again soon anyhow

Good luck though, I know its frustrating

Cyndee

March 11th, 2005, 10:47 AM
LuckyGirlx4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
B) Everyone has great advice!
I can't recommend Karo syrup though, I know that some Dr's used to say it was okay, but it does contain Botulism- just like honey. If you're going to go that route, I"d try sugar water instead.

</div>
March 11th, 2005, 12:16 PM
mamasboys0204's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to mamasboys0204
austin is the same way. sometimes he will take a playtex natural latch bottle but more than not i just nurse him a ton before i go and just fed him as soon as i get back and he's good.
xoxo, Tiffany

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search