Feeding a baby with Jaudice

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 10th, 2005, 03:43 PM
mudholemama
Hello everyone...I am new to the website and forum...Ended up here when I
decided I needed support to keep me sane!

My name is Christine and I'm a 26-yr old brand new mommy to my
2 week old Isaac. He was a few weeks early...Not due till the 17th of March
and was also an emergency c-section. He was ready to face the world I suppose.

Anyway, I've been bf-ing and feel like I'm going to lose my brain.

His doc wants him to eat every 2-3 hrs and to sunbathe. Unfortunately, its pretty difficult trying to get a SLEEPY baby (as all jaundiced babies are) to latch on at
1:30 am then 3:30 am then 5:30 am. By the time he finishes eating an hour has
passed and then he has to eat in another hour. Not to mention I'm also recovering
from the c-section so I'm not graceful getting in and out of bed.

Please help! Is there a light at the end of the tunnel? I keep thinking that I'm failing as a mommy. HELP!
March 11th, 2005, 06:40 AM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to Ana_and_Gage's_Mommy
Oh I have been there, my son was this way, latch on suck suck fall asleep unlatch, latch on suck suck, fall asleep, unlatch, over and over. He was jaundice and tired and impossible to nurse and it was exhausting not to mention my then 3 year old needed me to . And my son ate every hour and a half.

So I understand yah totally. It does get better but it may be awhile unless he gets the hang of nursing quickly. What helped me was to use my great ameda electric pump and then to finger feed him, he ate much quicker that way, we avoided nipple confusion because we were finger feeding and not bottel feeding and his jaundice went away because he ate so often . Info on finger feeding can be found here http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/8.html

My son just turned one and we are still nursing strong, but the beginning was pretty hard and we struggled for a few months, though the sleep depravation was easier to deal with this time for me becaue I had been through it before and we cosleep so I never got up at night to nurse, he was already there with me. I learned the first time around that cosleeping is a wonderful, bonding, sleep saving thing!

Hang in there, nursing is soooo inportant, and in the big scheme of parenting issues, this will seem very small in a year, though I know it doesnt seem like it now.

Feel free to IM me anytime or to post here, we are all happy to help

Cyndee

March 11th, 2005, 10:15 AM
threeboyznme70's Avatar Veteran
yup, what cyndee said.

I'm al ittle concerned about the timing though. I think 3hours is too long. I swear, early on Liam ate every hour!!! then every 1.5 ... he was still eating every 2 hours at 6 months!!! lol

I know it's hard to wake them to nurse, but the more you nurse the quicker the bilirubin flushes out of the body.

Just keep plugging along, it's the jaundice that's making him sleepy!! You'll notice a big difference once it's out of his system!

good luck!!!!
March 11th, 2005, 11:04 AM
mudholemama
Thanks so much for the advice! How long before the jaundice usually goes away?
It's been two weeks and I don't know if I should call his dr. and freak out or what.
The week after he was born he had to get tested every day for his bilirubin levels and I just hate to have to put him through that again.
Thank God we didn't have to go under the bili-lights.
Again, thanks!
-Christine
March 11th, 2005, 12:09 PM
mamasboys0204's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to mamasboys0204
i had the same problem as you! my son was born 4 weeks early by c-section and was jaudice! this went on with him for about 3 weeks. it got worse before it got better!

what i did with him was strip him down to his diaper and place him in a sunny area of the house for about 10 min on each side lol

i nursed him every chance i got!!! i was always putting him on the breast. he slept pretty good at night so i didn't bother with it to much. i would wake him up if i was up and feed him when he got up. i just mainly fed him a ton in the day and it worked! it also brought up my milk supply. you might want to try sistersofbreastfeeding.com they have real good advice there and a doula.

good luck! ... and congrats!
xoxo, Tiffany

March 11th, 2005, 10:17 PM
Veteran
This sounds so familiar to my situation, I had a c-section too. I was even the same age as you. Unfortunately my DD had to spend 1.5 days under the bili-light which made it harder for me to bf in the hospital, she was mostly cup fed my breastmilk. When we got home I would set my alarm clock so I could wake up at night to feed her. We had to take her to get her bili levels checked two more times. They almost put her back in the hospital. Luckily her levels started to drop. I was so exhausted that first month.
I can't even remember how long DD was jaundiced. I didn't put her by the window to get sun because the doctor said that it wouldn't be enough. I was told to bf her often. I know how hard it is to nurse a baby with jaundice, but don't give up. I tried all the tricks they told me to: rub their hands and feet, use a wet cloth on their body, take their clothing off so they aren't so warm and comfy.
Hang in there, and let us know how you two are doing.
Expecting #2 in October
March 12th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Natural Blessings's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
During the day see if you can get the baby to nurse every 1-2 hours instead of every 2-3. This will help the baby get more bm in and get the bilirubin out. Then at night you can go every 2-3hours. It will also help to put the baby in the bed with you, you can latch the baby on and go right back to sleep.

When was the last time the bili levels were checked? Does the baby still look jaundiced?
March 13th, 2005, 08:43 AM
mudholemama
we got our levels checked on Fri. its @ 10 !
His Doc said for his age...being 3 weeks early...that he's fine!
yesterday, it felt like he was attached to me all day.
I guess he's going through a growth spurt.
Ya'll were right! it gets worse b-4 it gets better and we're much better!
THANKS a BUNCH!!!
March 13th, 2005, 11:19 AM
mamasboys0204's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to mamasboys0204
yay for you!!!
xoxo, Tiffany

March 13th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Natural Blessings's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm glad his number is so low.
March 13th, 2005, 02:54 PM
LuckyGirlx4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally posted by mudholemama@Mar 13 2005, 09:43 AM
we got our levels checked on Fri.* its @ 10 !
His Doc said for his age...being 3 weeks early...that he's fine!
yesterday, it felt like he was attached to me all day.*
I guess he's going through a growth spurt.
Ya'll were right! it gets worse b-4 it gets better and we're much better!
THANKS a BUNCH!!!
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

That's wonderful! Way to go Mama!!!!!!!!!!!

</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search