Feeding duration

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 12th, 2005, 07:38 AM
Iris's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi everyone! My little guy is just over 5 weeks and doing well with breastfeeding. (He weighs 11 lbs. 5 oz so we know he's eating well.) In the last week or so I've noticed that he doesn't seem to eat for as long. At the hospital, the lactation consultant said I should try to feed him about 20 minutes before switching breasts to make sure he gets the hind milk. Lately, he's only wanting to stay on the first breast for 10 minutes or so. But if I switch to the other, he he'll eat for another 10 minutes. Could it just be that he's eating faster or does he not want to work as hard at the end? Should I let him decide when he's done on one side or keep trying to stay on the original breast?

Thanks in advance for your help.

March 12th, 2005, 07:52 AM
abbezma's Avatar Regular
I found that Abbi doesn't take as long now either. She is 14 weeks and aroud 8-10 weeks , she started only taking 10-15 min to eat( became stronger??) . And she only wanted 1 breast at a feeding but feeding every 2-3 hours. I am no lactation consultant but I think as long as they are growing and satisfied whatever works ,works!!

I Love My Baby!!
March 12th, 2005, 09:32 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
My kids never nursed that long. I think they nursed maybe ten minutes total sometimes fifteen. They were pretty quick and efficient.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
March 12th, 2005, 11:30 AM
LuckyGirlx4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree. It seems to me that Ryan is just an efficient nurser. There are ways to tell that he is not getting enough hind milk, stools are usually green, and he wouldn't be gaining weight as well as he is.

All kids are different. My first daughter nursed for 30 min. on each breast her entire first year (thank God she was the only kid I needed to take care of at the time, lol). Corbin on the other hand has NEVER spend more than 5 minutes on each breast. AT first I though he was going ot have trouble gaining weight, but he's the biggest chunker I've ever met (22 lb. at 9 months old now). Just listen to your baby, he'll help you figure out what's best.

</div>
March 12th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Natural Blessings's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
As babies get older they get better at getting the milk out faster, it sounds like this is what is happening. As long as the baby is not showing signs of being hungry after eating on both sides then don't worry.

Yes you should let the baby decide when he's finished on each side.
March 12th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to Ana_and_Gage&#39;s_Mommy
My daughter nursed for about 20 minutes in the beginning and then less later one. She was/is just fine.

My son nurses only 5 to 10 minutes always has, he was 23 lbs at 9 months old!! Just let baby be your guide and watch for plenty of wet diapers and good weight gain.

March 12th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Iris's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the info, Ladies! I feel much better now.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search