Flat or Inverted Nipples?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 31st, 2010, 08:01 AM
MaggieLizer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have been reading a little bit about this and I think I may have flat nipples. I haven't seen too much info on what problems this would cause or how to deal with it. Can anyone share any wisdom with me? Is there anything I would need to do differently?

March 31st, 2010, 09:24 AM
dunerchick's Avatar Super Mommy
I had very flat nipples one inverted when I had Cole, I just used some Breast shells and they drew the whole nipple out so he could latch. I had to wear them for a few weeks but they worked great now they are "normal" another benefit in wearing them while I fed on one side the other shell filled up with almost 2oz of milk I could save
Medela breast Shells : mothercare- Nursery Equipment, Maternity Clothes & Baby Shop

Just cause I don't post much doesn't make me less active just means I may not give a **** about a certain topic. :-)
March 31st, 2010, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the tip! How much did you wear them? Did you wear them all the time for a few weeks? Would it help to do that before I give birth?

March 31st, 2010, 02:34 PM
I think I found the answers to my questions. I read that you really only need to wear them for a little while before feedings and that there's no reason to wear them before the baby is born.

March 31st, 2010, 09:32 PM
dunerchick's Avatar Super Mommy
I had to wear mine 24/7 to really draw my nipple out, if I would have known about them I would have started wearing them t night a week or two before birth

Just cause I don't post much doesn't make me less active just means I may not give a **** about a certain topic. :-)
April 2nd, 2010, 10:20 AM
KtKuKi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
^^^I agree. I had a horrible time getting Maddie to latch for about 2 weeks after birth. I wish I'd done something to help before she was born.

April 2nd, 2010, 11:09 AM
Hmmm...maybe I will try using them before he is born. The article I read said it wouldn't help but I guess maybe it wouldn't hurt anything to try it either.

April 5th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Just lurking here, I had very flat nipples but was able to nurse my boys no problems! My nipples changed completely while nursing, then went back to how they always were once they were weaned!

April 6th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
Michele - I have flat nipples - my right is a lot flatter than the left... I am thinking about the breast shells, but haven't seen them anywhere over here, so I may just have to hope that it all works out! I'll let you know how my experience goes, in about... 10 weeks!!!!

April 6th, 2010, 08:57 PM
SandKmommy's Avatar Seamus and Kieran's Mommy
Some women are lucky enough that when the baby latches and nurses it draws the nipple out enough. I've read/been told its more of the areola then the nipple that the baby needs.
I have flat and inverted nipples and super large areolas(TMI lol) and my children were not able to latch with out a nipple shield but it was a last resort type of thing.

April 7th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Thanks for responding everyone! Maybe I will be able to get lucky too and they won't be a problem. Emma, I hope it works out for you too!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search