Questions...please help me

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 14th, 2005, 09:09 AM
JustBecca's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to JustBecca
I am planning on breastfeeding my son (due in less than two weeks) but I am so worried that it won't work. I have 2 DD's that I tried to breastfeed but for one reason or another I didn't breastfeed for very long. I have a few questions as far as the whole breastfeeding goes.

1. A friend of mine said that you have to prepare you breasts for it. I never heard of that...is it true and how would I do that?
2. With my #2 DD I got thrush(??). It was so painful and wouldn't go away. Does anyone know the best way to treat it? My Dr had given me a prescription but it didn't seem to help.
3. I know that at some point I will want to pump. Just in case I need to be away for a while and he needs to eat. I know I should wait a while before I start that but I don't know when it would be a good time to start?
4. One thing I remember is the cracking. What can I do to prevent it or treat it?

I know that these are silly questions but I REALLY REALLY want breastfeeding to work with this child. I am sure that if I thought about it I would have 800 more questions. Thank you in advance if you can help me. Rebecca

Thank you ~* Helen *~ for the best all about me siggie! You are absolutely fabulous!
March 14th, 2005, 10:11 AM
threeboyznme70's Avatar Veteran
no questions are silly!!!! All are important if you are really itnerested in having a successful nursing relationship.

1. A friend of mine said that you have to prepare you breasts for it. I never heard of that...is it true and how would I do that?

NO NO NO .... you do nothing.

2. With my #2 DD I got thrush(??). It was so painful and wouldn't go away. Does anyone know the best way to treat it? My Dr had given me a prescription but it didn't seem to help.

the yeast beast is tricky. First, make sure you aren't consuming too much sugar (watch for hidden sugar in juices and milk as well). Eat plain yogurt, take acidopholus supplements. They balance the gut flora. If baby gets yeast .... forgo the crap that the doctors give (Nystatin has sugar in it and sugar feeds yeast. They also don't prescribe it in the right amounts. It needst o be after every feeding because yeast grows back in under 2 hours, nto just 3 times a day). You can also get Gentian Violet at CVS or older type pharmacies, other pharmacies can order it. I would get some now and have ti on hand. It's messy and stains, so you have to be careful. This is a great handout about yeast. http://www.kellymom.com/newman/c-candida_protocol.html

You can also get acidopholus powder to give to the baby from ah ealth food store. It must be refridgerated. It's 1/4 tsp dissolved in water 3 times a day. (amoutn is right, times a day, I think is 3 times)

3. I know that at some point I will want to pump. Just in case I need to be away for a while and he needs to eat. I know I should wait a while before I start that but I don't know when it would be a good time to start?

Well, I had to start pumping he day after my milk came in. There's no way 2babies could have eaten what I was producing! LOL As long as you are nursing every 1.5-2 hours during the day, you should pretty much be able to pump after any feed. 1-3 oz per session is normal, so don't think you'll be abnormal if you cant' fill up a bottle.

4. One thing I remember is the cracking. What can I do to prevent it or treat it? Lansinoh ointment works WONDERS. Use it after every feeding and you can use a tiny amount before you nurse to relieve friction. (a tiny amount iwll not hurt the baby and you never have to wash it off before nursing)

My biggest recommendation is to block feed from the start. It really helps relieve over supply and the baby gets all the good hindmilk. Here's a linka bout block feeding. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html they discuss block feeding about halfway down the page. Basically, you nurse one breast for 2-3 hour window (I did 3 hours) If the first nursing is at 8 and you start on the right breast, the baby nurses on the right breast for any feeding that they want until 11, then you switch. You might be a little lopsided until your body figures out what's going on.

Know that it's not abnormal for a newborn to want to nurse every hour. BM digests in 90 minutes. For the first few weeks, you want to try to stay at no longer than every 2 hours during the day. Babies tend to "cluster" feed in the evening. They are "tanking" up for a longer sleep stretch at night (we can onlyhope anyway LOL)

Don't judge your supply on how much you pump or what your breasts feel like. Niether is a good indication. WAtch the baby. Happy? peeing (6-8 wets in 24 hours) and pooping (2-4... i think Liam pooped every feed for 3 months). Weight gain should be about 4-7 oz per week. Make sure when you go to the doctor (this is IMPERATIVE) taht baby is weighed on the same scale everytime and naked. That way, if you are having any problems, you know that there's nothing interfering (even a dry diaper is not a good idea).

DON'T go to your pediatrician for nursing advice UNLESS you are VERY certain taht they've gone out of their way to learn more about nursing. They get NO breastfeeding education in medical school. Most don't have a clue. If you get told that you have to wean to take a certain medication, make sure you get your hands on Mother's Milk & Medication by Dr. Thomas Hale. He's the fioremost authority on lactation and medication. His book is about 30 bucks and if you an swing it, it'll be the best 30 bucks you ever spent. (I don't take meds routinely, so I haven't needed it... although I may purchase it to help toher bf moms). Doctor's use the PDR (physician's desk reference) to determine what is safe and even tylenol says not to use if you are nursing (in the PDR). It's absurd. Most couldn't care less about finding the correct information.

I'm sure I've said enought o overwhelm the crap out of you! read, read, read.... the womanly art of breastfeeding, anything by dr. sears : breastfeeding; "So that's What their for" Stay away from parenting magazines with breastfeeding advice!!

Come back and ask as manyquestions as you'd like,t hat's what we're here for.

Tracy
March 14th, 2005, 10:23 AM
JustBecca's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to JustBecca
WOW thank you....I didn't realize that there was so much info out there. I feel like a bonehead. Do you know of where I could find information about seeing a lactation consultant if I need to? Who would I ask about it? I would never talk to my childrens ped. about breastfeeding problems...He's about 60 and great with the kids but I think that would be weird. I have also heard that it is not a good idea to give breastfeed babies water...Is that true? I am sure that I am going to be posting here a lot because I didn't know that there was so much to learn. Thanks again Rebecca

Thank you ~* Helen *~ for the best all about me siggie! You are absolutely fabulous!
March 14th, 2005, 11:55 AM
threeboyznme70's Avatar Veteran
www.kellymom.com is all about breastfeeding. There's probably nothing you can't find there.

Call the hospital where you are delivering. Find out if they have a LC on staff and be sure to find out if she's IBCLC (certified for sure, but to be best IBCLC) you can also find one in your area ... http://www.iblce.org/US%20registry.htm

Breastfed babies should get NOTHING other than breastmilk for the first 6 months of life. On kellymom, if you search open gut, you should find tons of stuff that will outline why it's best that nothing other than breastmilk enter their tummies. They simply don't need water. Calorie for calorie, breastmilk has more calories and fats than formula or solids. Solids at 6 months is for learning textures and should NOT replace a nursing. Until 12 months, breastmilk (or formula - for lurkers that are combination feeding) should make up a majority of a babies diet. Liam didn't take any solids until 7 months and even at 23 montsh, we are hit or miss (as is normal with toddlers). Today, he's eaten a poptart (when I offered everything else for breakfast his response was "I don't fink so" LOL He refused lunch. If I weren't nursing, I'd be worried sick! LOL At least I know he's getting some nutrients.

I know that the new formulas spout the benefits of dha/ara, but if you do a search on kelly mom about those, you'll find some icky thing. (where they are cultured creeps me out)

No matter how much I pumped, and how we tried it, Liam would not take expressed breast milk. He wanted it straight from the tap. At 4 months, we just put him on a cup (he never took a bottle, never figured out what to do with it - we started trying about 6 weeks and I gave them all away when he was about a year old. Most still in the package LOL). So, if you find that your baby won't take a bottle, don't stress. dh can feed with a spoon, syringe or a cup (takes longer, but still provides nutrients. On his own, he'll have to figure out ways to comfort the baby. I stress this, because dh always just brought baby to me. Now, at 23 months he has a heckuva time finding ways to comfort Liam. It's his own fault, I couldn't make him try.. it had to be up to him)

Tracy
March 14th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Natural Blessings's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
1. A friend of mine said that you have to prepare you breasts for it. I never heard of that...is it true and how would I do that?[/b]
This is old school thinking, you don't do anything.

Quote:
2. With my #2 DD I got thrush(??). It was so painful and wouldn't go away. Does anyone know the best way to treat it? My Dr had given me a prescription but it didn't seem to help.[/b]
As the pp said avoiding sugar is good, but you should avoid yeast foods like breads and vinegars too. Nystatin is crap and won't work, why dr's keep prescribing is it beyond me. Yeast lives in the intestines, by the time it gets to a vaginal, breast or mouth(thrush) infection you have a full blown infection. Diflucan(for mom and baby) works better since it goes to the source, the stomach/intestines. It doesn't always work though and as the pp said there are the ingrediants in it. the GV mentioned is good, just don't wear anything good for a while.lol It will turn everything purple. YOU need to be treated along with the baby. If you both aren't treated then you'll keep passing it back and forth. Grapeseed oil is another good one that will get rid of it.

Quote:
3. I know that at some point I will want to pump. Just in case I need to be away for a while and he needs to eat. I know I should wait a while before I start that but I don't know when it would be a good time to start?[/b]
You can pump straight from birth just make sure you are pumping after the baby eats. You may not get anything at first but that is normal and soon you will be pumping milk out. Pump for a minimum 20minutes on each side(both sides at once is better), then once you start to produce milk pump for an extra 2 minutes after the milk is no longer coming out.

Quote:
4. One thing I remember is the cracking. What can I do to prevent it or treat it?[/b]
I agree with the Lanolin cream. A proper latch will help alot too.

Quote:
I would never talk to my childrens ped. about breastfeeding problems...He's about 60 and great with the kids but I think that would be weird.[/b]
Since he is the ped, he is the one who should know but honesty few peds are pro-bf'ing. Ask the nurse, the maternity staff at the hospital, look in the phone book under LC's, LLL(Le Leche League), Doulas, midwives.

Quote:
I have also heard that it is not a good idea to give breastfeed babies water...Is that true?[/b]
This is more old school thinking that bf'd babies need additional fluids, especially during the summer. they don't need it. It will fill them up instead of them getting milk but nutritionally they don't need it.

Quote:
Breastfed babies should get NOTHING other than breastmilk for the first 6 months of life.[/b]
Actually even ff'd babies should not get anything other than bm for the first 6months.

Quote:
I know that the new formulas spout the benefits of dha/ara, but if you do a search on kelly mom about those, you'll find some icky thing. (where they are cultured creeps me out)[/b]
ITA. First the new ingrediants are artificial forms of what is naturally in your milk. Also there are many many other ingrediants in bm that they have not put in bm yet but which are beneficial to babies.
March 14th, 2005, 12:52 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
You have been giving a lot of great advice. I started pumping with all my kids pretty much as soon as I got home from the hospital. It will help with engourgement and it also helps get your supply off to a good start. Plus you will have a freezer stash right away in case you have any problems down the road and need it.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
March 14th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
As for the cracking, get the Lasinoh cream and use it regularly. It really does help. It's normal for your nipples to be sore (sometimes very sore) the first 2 weeks or so while you get the hang of things. Remember to make sure your baby is latched on correctly to avoid nipple injury. But cracks and soreness do happen, but it will clear up and get better, and definitely no reason to give up.

I also think the best thing you can do to keep you going when things get rough, is to have lots of support. Online breastfeeding groups and email lists are great and can provide tons of information. Also look into your local La Leche League for groups in your area so you can hang out with other moms who are having similar experiences.

Robin
March 14th, 2005, 01:57 PM
LuckyGirlx4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
WHOA!!!!!!! I was out all morning, and just got on the computer for the day!!!!! I'm glad you all were around! I'm so proud of our board!!!

You got some great advice!!!! Good luck with the Breastfeeding, and stick around for support. If you have the will to breastfeed, and truly, tha'ts 90% of the battle. Keep us posted and let us know if we can help more (not that I helped with this question, lol, there's nothing to add to all the great advice given)!!!

</div>
March 14th, 2005, 01:59 PM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to QueBuscuit
theres some good breastfeeding advice in the articles section of the website. if you scroll up to the top of this page its in the top bar.
DD: NEVAEH ARIEL: BORN ON SEPT. 15, 2004

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search