Low Supply on one side?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 1st, 2010, 12:01 PM
KiwiMommy's Avatar Ashlynn's Mama
I've noticed the past week or so, and more significantly the past few days, that my left breast is producing a LOT less than the right. I notice it more at night, when I alternate sides throughout the night. Ashlynn still wakes up about 2-4 times a night (usually 3-4) to eat, and when I feed her on the left, she's awake again to eat within around an hour and a half. On the right, she will go 2 1/2-3 hours.
It's making it difficult to get sleep myself, as she's up to eat shortly after I get to sleep when she eats on my left side.
I'm not sure what I should do to fix it..
I also pump, as I go to night classes for a 2-4hrs a night 4 days a week, and I've noticed that when I get home, If I pump the right, I get 4-5oz or so (which is Ashlynn's typical meal) then when I feed her on the left, she's looking to eat shortly after. If I pump on the left, I don't get enough for the next day, but she's more satisfied when she eats on the right..
Is there a method I could use (without having to lounge and nurse for a couple days, or eat oatmeal/take fenugreek) that could increase my left side's supply but not decrease the right?
I was debating on feeding her on the left for a few hours at a time (she eats more during the day) and perhaps pumping the right, but I was worried the pump wouldn't empty me enough and would decrease my right side's supply..

Thank you peimum for the gorgeous siggy!
April 1st, 2010, 08:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't have any experience with this, but I know it's pretty common. Here's a link from Kellymom with some tips on increasing your supply on just one side: kellymom.com :: Lopsided! What can I do?

April 2nd, 2010, 06:47 AM
proudmomto4boys!'s Avatar no clue what I am doing!
my boys have always prefered the left breast over the right just because the left breast always have produced more, honestly I have never worried about, sometimes the right breast would catch up but then it would get behind again, I offer both breast at feedings even when I think he is full and dont wont the other breast sometimes he surprises me and eats for another 10mins, majority of the time when he eats the right side he will eat on the left, and when he eats on the left not all times he wants the right, I dont know how to fix it, I do know that as long as you keep breastfeeding that one side will NOT dry up, so you dont have to worry about that, but one side having less supply never bothered me nor my boys. I breastfed ds1-6mos, ds2-1yr, ds3-16mos(then got pregnant with ds4 and had to quit because of history of m/c)and ds4-so far 6mos. but if it bothers you I am sure there are ways to fix it good luck

Isaiah 9yrs old,
Jeremiah 6yrs old,
Abraham 3yrs old,
Samuel 21mos old
April 3rd, 2010, 12:36 AM
KiwiMommy's Avatar Ashlynn's Mama
Thank you! I figured I wouldn't worry, since it's not a huge problem

Thank you peimum for the gorgeous siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search