Guilt

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 1st, 2010, 03:53 PM
RUNNER25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I feel really guilty for looking a little forward to Colin weaning. I love BFing, but I also look forward to having a little more freedom- not being the only one who feeds him-KWIM? I plan my day around his nursing schedule and it will be kind of nice when I don't have to do that anymore.

But, I have guilty feelings that I look forward to more freedom. I can't even understand how some women never try BFing because it is such a huge commitment. My friend stopped BFing because she said she just couldn't sit there while her baby ate and be tied down- really? I would do anything if it was the best for my baby- which is why I plan on letting him self-wean.

Does anyone else look forward to when your baby weans? How do you feel about that?

April 1st, 2010, 04:47 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I am not looking forward to her weaning, but looking forward to less feedings. She still wakes 2-6 times at night and nurses about once an hour when I am home. I know I have a good amount of milk, because I pump at work and get a good amount! I am going to let her self wean. I am thinking of night weaning her partially when she turns one, and feel super guilty about it, but I am not getting enough sleep and some days can barely function at work

April 1st, 2010, 05:34 PM
JT_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am not to that point yet, but I am really hoping he self weans right around one year of age. I am going to stop pumping then, so I would like it if he at least weaned down to only night and early morning feedings because those are my favorites - our snuggle time.
April 1st, 2010, 05:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've been there....and then I get over it...right now I want Olive to sleep through the night...she's only done that TWICE since she was born! LOL..and she's 18 months....sooooo wish she'd stop nursing several times at night....but at the same time...I'm not all that bothered by it. Some days she'll only nurse three times (in the daylight hours) and others she nurses every couple hours....

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
April 2nd, 2010, 05:09 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha83 View Post
I've been there....and then I get over it...right now I want Olive to sleep through the night...she's only done that TWICE since she was born! LOL..and she's 18 months....sooooo wish she'd stop nursing several times at night....but at the same time...I'm not all that bothered by it. Some days she'll only nurse three times (in the daylight hours) and others she nurses every couple hours....
overall it does not bother me, i just have days where i cannot function well and cannot nap because i work If it was 2x's a night, i would be ok, it is the 6xs that is a problem. But I am going to wait it out for sure. If we get to a year and she is still nursing 4-6 times a night, I am not sure if I actually could night wean or partially night wean, lol.

April 2nd, 2010, 10:26 AM
I have only had my son for two months, so I certainly can't speak for you super moms out there. But as I see it, most women now wait longer to have children. They get very used to a certain degree of autonomy in their lives. When we have an infant, that autonomy goes away almost completely. Now, I know for certain, that there is not a thought of regret for that lost freedom, but its very natural and healthy to miss it. After over a year of building your life around the needs of another human being, longing for a little bit of freedom to do for yourself should not be a cause for guilt. Its a natural human reaction to be somewhat selfish - we couldn't function as self actualized entities if we weren't capable of embracing and loving the self. How would you be able to raise your baby to be a functional healthy adult if you weren't capable of maintaining a healthy balanced sense of you.
April 2nd, 2010, 10:12 PM
FyreMommy2B's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't mind it so much & Ashlynn is 6mo on Sunday. I need to keep track to see how many feedings she has per day but my guess would be 6-8 (a little more if she is having a growth spurt) but she is starting to sleep through the night and doesn't wake up for night feedings once she is down so I think that helps alot. I enjoyed my youth and had plenty of freedom (road trips, concerts, karaoke, travelling etc) plus I married later in life and had Ashlynn when I was 37 so I'm at that point where I'm comfy to just hang out at home and enjoy her first year.

It's probably a good thing I don't work because I've tried every bottle on the market and still no success in getting her to take one. I applaud you working, pumping mommies! That is dedication!!

Our 2 year journey through Infertility & conceiving via IUI
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1a8678

April 3rd, 2010, 06:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've felt that way with both of my girls and usually around your little one's age too. Both were still nursing about every 3 hours at that point, which made me feel like I was still tied down. Sometime between 12-15 months is when nursing spaced out though. Anna is down to nursing about 3 times a day and that has happened in just the past 2 months. I can easily leave for 5-6 hours without feeling like I need ot be home (which rarely happens anyway) but I've also planned my first all-day outting next Saturday, and I'm confident that she'll do just fine. This is the age when I've been able to still enjoy breastfeeding but get the freedom that doesn't come with it when they are a baby. You'll be suprised at how much things change in just a few months, hopefully you will get a little more freedom soon!

April 3rd, 2010, 06:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I can totally relate. Our LO's are around the same age, and I'm feeling the same sort of feelings. I love BFing, and I'll be so sad when we're done, but it'll also be really nice when I can be gone for the entire day or have a few drinks. Micah sleeps a 10 hr stretch YAH! Wakes around 5 or 6 to nurse, then sleeps until 7 or 8. It's been a long road, but I feel like I have so much freedom already since he STTN and can go to sleep on his own Other than that, he usually nurses 5-6 times during the day. I'm pretty happy where we are and don't see him weaning any time soon.
April 4th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I will not be weaning any time soon. I'm hoping to wean at the one year mark as well. I think I will miss it. The only thing I won't miss is pumping at work. That is getting kind of old...but that is my only con with bf'ing. I don't feel tied down as Caroline will take a bottle of EBM. Usually if I want to go somewhere I have plenty of time to do whatever before I need to nurse/pump. BF'ing has been a great experience and I love the convenience factor...not to mention the health benefits!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search