not sure why he is doing this

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 5th, 2010, 03:09 PM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
The last few days ( yesterday and today) DS has been seeming to have a hard time nursing during the day. He squirms, pulls on my nipples while still nursing and sucking, moans and groans all while nursing. In my mind, i worry that he is struggling to get milk out, and he is frustrated that he isnt getting any. But the few times he pulle off while doing it, he had milk on his face, lol, so i know SOMETHING was coming out.

i recently cut back on the amount i pump during the day ( i cut out my first morning sessions and overnight pumping sessions) becuase i was tired of doing it, and producing more milk than i could fit in my freezer. Plus, since i BF 99% if the time, the milk is slow going out of the freezer. he only gets 2 bottles mondays and tuesdays, and then once a night every other night of the week before bed. But all the rest of the week during the day and over night i nurse exclusively.

Im dieting, but not to wear i am cutting out a drastic amount of calories, i just started eating better, but i assume i still get somewhere around 1000-1300 calories a day and i drink lots of water.

Is this normal for him to act like this? Sometimes i wonder if he has to burp, so i take him off to burp him and i usually get one, but then he dives back down like he is still hungry, which he might be. I just never had him do that before, usually if he or i pulled him off to burp, that was it for him nursing, he was usually full.

i have noticed that at night when i pump before bed, i am getting less than i used to, which i assume to be normal. Ive resorted to nursing him on both sides for nursing sessions lately, and usually he will pull off sometime during the second breast. Could this just be him wanting to adjust my body to make more milk to adjust to his needs? Will i have to nurse on both sides from now on, or will my body know to make more on the one side?
April 5th, 2010, 03:24 PM
wclark602002's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
hes prolly just gettin to that age about 5 months is when sara started this and shes just nosy and cant sit still,she squirmed,grunted,smacked me,clawed me,pulled my nipples farther than anything should ever be pulled and thats about when she started biting too sounds like hes gettin plenty though so i think your ok on that.i have always nursed on both sides so im unsure about your situation.your calories do sound a bit low to me but thats just my opinion.i think youll be just fine and he will let you know what he needs and your body will adjust just fine.oh and sara did stop turning flips with my nipple in her mouth and the biting stopped also,they were replaced by kicking ,blowing rasberries and lots of other stuff

Virtapay, alternative to paypal...its FREE!!!
http://www.virtapay.com/r/wclark602002
April 5th, 2010, 04:06 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
could be he is distracted and hard to concentrate. 1000-1300 cals/day is definitely VERY VERY VERY low for a bf mom, or anyone, for that matter. I would try to eat closer to 2000 cals/day/

this link should have some good info for you

kellymom.com :: How many calories does a nursing mom need?

April 5th, 2010, 05:10 PM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
i promise, im eating. I just eat very healthy lately. Salads, chicken breasts, steamed veggies, fruits and lots and lots of water!! im not saying i NEVER go above that number, but it does stay right aruond there, and i have been losing weight slowly.

I gained massive weight when i first started breastfeeding, and the only way i was able to lose it was to cut back on calories and eat healthier foods.

But if this keeps up and i notice he keeps acting starving, i will definately increase my calories...i just really dont want to gain the weight back...blah!

i am off to check out that site now, thanks!
April 6th, 2010, 05:27 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
it is a really hard balance between eating enough, making milk, and not gaining weight! I lost almost all my preggo weight, and have just accepted that the rest will come off eventually and will deal with it (4 lbs).

April 7th, 2010, 04:19 AM
bessie17's Avatar mommy2caden&adisyn
I remember Caden doing this as well when he got to that age and he did it all the way until 8 months when we were done nursing.

Is he crying or screaming like he is hungry after you burp him or does he just go back to the breast?

Even Adisyn does this sometimes, but for her I think he it's more she is just not hungry anymore or doesn't want that much milk.

I try to feed Adi on both sides, but it really all depends. If she is in a deep eat (if you will) I will not remove her from that breast because I know if I do she won't relatch to the other side. If she is awake, I'll switch her after a certain amount of time. I worried that the side she didn't drink from as long wouldn't produce more the next time around, but I haven't had any issues.

I'm trying to trust Adisyn and my body a little bit more.

Colleen, loving mother to Caden (4yrs; 04-17-2008) and Adisyn (2yr; 01-14-2010)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search