Should I be worried?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 6th, 2010, 10:23 AM
bessie17's Avatar mommy2caden&adisyn
I've been back to work for 3 1/2 weeks and pump 3 times a day. (I'm gone for 10 hours M-Th). When I'm home I BF my daughter. We introduced the bottle before I returned to work, so she would be familiar with it and she seemed to do pretty well. She will take the bottle from the sitters, but won't drink that much in one sitting. She may drink a half ounce to an ounce at a time. There seems to be a pattern where only ONCE will she drink 2-3 ounces in one sitting. In the end she is only drinking aprox 6-8 ounces while I'm gone - 10 hours.

I'm concerned she is not drinking enough because she prefers the breast. I am pumping 12-15 ounces when I'm at work and I come home to hear the sitters say "well, we had trouble getting her to eat". It breaks my heart thinking she is starving and pretty much refusing to eat well from the bottle. She seriously pigs out when I get home too.

Is this normal behavior for BF babies? She is gaining weight and has enough wet diapers, but I still worry.

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much ladies!!

Colleen, loving mother to Caden (4yrs; 04-17-2008) and Adisyn (2yr; 01-14-2010)
April 6th, 2010, 11:05 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Is she nursing more when you are home? I know my DD does that. She drinks very little while I am gone, and clusterfeeds when I am home. Now she takes about 6oz in the 5 or so hours I am gone a day, but there was a time when she was much younger (3 months?) when she would only take a few sips and hold out for the boob.

April 6th, 2010, 04:37 PM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
have you tried different bottles? is the sitter warming it up enough? How often is she offering a bottle? When she cries, or is she trying to keep her on a schedule?

i know Mackenzie ( not breastfed, so not sure how much of this applies) but she would go several hours during the day ( 4+ ) without wanting a bottle, i would try forcing her ( not realizing it at the time) but she would only drink a little, beucase she just wasnt hungry yet. Maybe have her wait a little longer before offering her bottles. Also, maybe she just doesnt like taking alot in at once. Mackenzie was only drinking 3-4 oz at a sitting ever 3-4 hours when she was a baby. ( sorry i know im comparing to mac, but mac just didnt eat a lot as a baby) If she is getting enough when you get home, and overnight, i wouldnt be terribly concerned.

I know charlie only likes the playtex nipples ( the wide ones) and also if we dont warm his breastmilk up enough, he refuses to drink it, he will always push the nipple out with his tongue.
April 6th, 2010, 04:45 PM
JT_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My son is totally random about how much he eats at daycare. Some days, 8 oz, some days 18oz! If she is gaining and has enough dirty diapers, I would try not to worry. She is probably eating when hungry and maybe they are trying to feed her on a schedule rather than demand?
April 7th, 2010, 05:08 AM
bessie17's Avatar mommy2caden&adisyn
DH is home with Adisyn today, so we thought we would try the playtex bottles with the wider nipple (we are currently using Dr. Browns). My SIL watched her yesterday and said she seemed to gag on the nipple and a lot dribbled out of her mouth - she thought maybe a different bottle will help.

Normally she does pig out when I get home - like she's been waiting for the boob, but yesterday she didn't. However, she did drink approx 10 ounces while I was gone.

Shannon - Caden was just like Mac. He would only drink up to 4 ounces at a time when it came to the bottle.

Whoever watches them feeds Adisyn approximately every 3 hours, which is how she nurses. She has never really cluster fed from me or from the bottle for that matter.

Heres to hoping she does well with the playtex bottles.

It still makes me sad though. I know she wants the boob and I don't have any issues feeding her on the days I'm off. I wish I didn't have to work, so I could be there full time for her.

Colleen, loving mother to Caden (4yrs; 04-17-2008) and Adisyn (2yr; 01-14-2010)
April 7th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It sounds like reverse cycling. I don't have any experience with it, but this link might have some tips that havne't been mentioned yet: kellymom.com :: Reverse Cycling

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search