PLEASE HELP, I don't know what to do.......

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 6th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My daughter is 5 weeks old and I breastfeed her, sometimes we supplement with formula. About 3 days ago I started getting a headache and it has lasted this long, I didnt think anything of it because it comes and goes and I thought it was just a sinus headache as I have seasonal allergies. Well for the last 2 days now I have been feeling worse. I am feeling hot and sweaty one minute and feverish and freezing to death the next minute. I guess you could say it is flu like symptoms. I ache all over even my eye balls ache. Also my C-Section incision is really sore and the soreness also goes down into my pelvic bone and the soreness gets worse when I lay down. I have called my daughters nurse and she has told me not to let the baby nurse from my breast until I feel better. She said to either feed her formula or to feed her the breastmilk that I have stored in the freezer. I will probably have to alternate the breastmilk with the formula because I dont think I have enough breastmilk stashed away.. My OB/Gyn is calling me in some augmenten antibiotics and they said it was safe to nurse her while taking this but if I am sick I shouldnt nurse her. Anyway after making a long story even longer lol what I want to know is what do I do in the mean time to keep my breastmilk supply from going down if I dont nurse her. I do have a breastpump and I try to pump everyday just to have a stash for cases like this but how often should I pump until I get better and can start nursing her again? She nurses about every 2 hours so should I pump every 2 hours or would it be better to pump every hour? I am so afraid this will hurt my supply and I will have to stop breastfeeding and I dont want that to happen.. It seems like my supply has decreased in the last couple of weeks anyway and I dont want it to decrease even more. thanks in advance ladies

Last edited by ThankingGOD4my2girls; April 6th, 2010 at 08:28 PM.
April 6th, 2010, 03:54 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I do not understand why they said not to nurse. It sounds like you have an infection, possibly from the c-section, or maybe a sinus infection that is raging. most of what i googled said TO breastfeed when sick
kellymom.com :: Should breastfeeding continue when mom is sick?

If you chose not to bf i would pump and dump for every feeding you are missing. Hang in there Momma!!!!

April 6th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm78 View Post
I do not understand why they said not to nurse. It sounds like you have an infection, possibly from the c-section, or maybe a sinus infection that is raging. most of what i googled said TO breastfeed when sick
kellymom.com :: Should breastfeeding continue when mom is sick?

If you chose not to bf i would pump and dump for every feeding you are missing. Hang in there Momma!!!!
Thank you so much for this information. I feel so much better now. I will continue to nurse her. It makes since that there would be antibodies in the milk to keep the baby from getting sick but I never thought of it that way. I am so glad that I have you all to turn to when I need help.

April 6th, 2010, 04:24 PM
wclark602002's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i dont get why they would tell you not to nurse her? i wouldnt think it would affect her any.i know you prolly feel like poo but as little as she is just lay in bed with her all day and let her eat her little heart out ive had flu and strep and all kinds of things and never was i told not to nurse ..sorry but that just seems strange.anyways i hope you feel much better soon.stay hydrated and get as much rest as you can.

Virtapay, alternative to paypal...its FREE!!!
http://www.virtapay.com/r/wclark602002
April 6th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by wclark602002 View Post
i dont get why they would tell you not to nurse her? i wouldnt think it would affect her any.i know you prolly feel like poo but as little as she is just lay in bed with her all day and let her eat her little heart out ive had flu and strep and all kinds of things and never was i told not to nurse ..sorry but that just seems strange.anyways i hope you feel much better soon.stay hydrated and get as much rest as you can.
Thank you for your reply. I am glad to know that other mommies have not stopped nursing while sick, it makes me feel alot better. I am not going to stop nursing her. I read on LLLI and Kellymom that you dont needd to stop nursing while you are sick. Thank you for your help. I really do appreciate all of you ladies.

April 6th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I would continue to nurse as well. I was told by my OB, my midwives, and my daughter's pedi to continue nursing if I was sick because I could pass antibodies in the milk to the baby. I think the only time I wouldn't nurse is if the meds I had to take were dangerous for the baby.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search