New here, need help!

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 7th, 2010, 06:36 AM
lizard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My daughter will be 4 weeks old tomorrow and is not gaining weight. She lost a pound after she was born but is still not back to her birth weight. Right now, her doctor has me supplementing with formula after BFing to see if she will gain weight. I really don't want to supplement but I don't want my little girl to starve either . She seems to be latched fine and I know I am producing milk- I hear her gulping and when she is done (unlatches herself) I can still hand express a few drops. I nurse on demand and for as long as she wants. Before I started supplementing, she was having enough wet diapers but wasn't pooping. Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.

10/31/05 (EDD 5/15/06), 4/17/06 (EDD 11/13/06)
Chemical p/g 1/11/08

April 7th, 2010, 07:34 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Personally, I would stop supplementing or you will never produce enough milk. So in one month she gained how much from when she got home? Was it always the same scale? Do you have an infant scale at home? You can weigh your LO before and after feedings to see exactly how many ounces they are getting. Was she not pooping often or not pooping at all? I know DD went several days inbetween poops early on.

kellymom.com :: Average Weight Gain for Breastfed Babies

There are also things you can do to boost your supply. Are you eating enough calories? drinking enough water? (this one is huge!). I would put her on the breast 24/7 if you can! You can take supplements like fenugreek or drink Mother's Milk tea (4-5 cups/day).

Do you feel like she is hungry when she is done feeding? When are you going back to the doctor?

April 7th, 2010, 08:05 AM
I don't like the idea of supplementing with formula, though I was told I could supplement with BM, but I have never been able to get more than a couple of drops from pumping. I tried when I was BFing my other DD (who was EBF until we started solids and was weaned at over 2 years old) and have tried this time, but I can hand express more than I can pump. I don't know if I really have a choice at this moment as far as not supplementing at all. It seems like my supply is fine, and she seems full when she unlatches herself and doesn't usually want to eat for a little while after we are done- she eats on average every 3 hours. It all seems the same as when I nursed my other two, except she is not gaining weight and is not pooping enough. I am definitely eating enough and am pretty sure I'm producing enough, since I can still express milk when she has decided she is done.

Let's see, in one month, she has gained 7 ounces- she had gained 5 ounces during the first 5 days she was home, then 1 ounce during the next 14 days, and 1 ounce during the last week (during the last week I was supplementing about 2 oz. per day). She was not weighed on the same scale, however, when she gained the 5 ozs, she was weighed on the same scale. When she went back, the next time and had only gained an ounce, she was weighed on both of their scales to make sure one scale wasn't inaccurate, and they were within 1/2 ounce. Last time, she was weighed on the same scale as she previously was. (I hope that made sense). I do not have a scale at home, but may go out today and look for one...any recommendations?

As for the pooping, she was not pooping at all! She went for 11 days with no poop. I know some days without pooping is normal, but this is what I originally took DD back to the doctor for- that seemed like a very long time for such a small baby to go without pooping (though I remember my older DD went almost 2 weeks without pooping before, but she was much older). Since I started supplementing, she has pooped every 3 days.

Chemical p/g 1/11/08

April 7th, 2010, 08:47 AM
I wonder if something else is going on for her not to gain weight? Maybe a second opinion?

here is a bit more info

kellymom.com :: How might I increase baby's weight gain?

April 7th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree, I think you might need a second opinion to see if there's something else going on. If she wasn't getting enough, she would 1) be dehydrated and 2) she would not go 3 hours between eating. Your doctor should really look at some other options for why she isn't gaining weight though. She may just be a very slow gainer, but she does seem to be getting enough breastmilk, so it is a little strange that she went that long without pooping.

Did she seem uncomfortable before she pooped? Did she have hard poop or were they yellow, seedy and liquidy like typical breastfed baby poop?
LLLI | Stooling (Bowel Movements)

Also, how much are you supplementing now? Does she take it all? Are there any other signs of something being wrong (excessive gas, spitting up a lot, extreme fussiness)?

Expecting baby #4!

April 7th, 2010, 02:47 PM
They started with the supplementing to see if adding calories will increase her weight. If not, then they are going to look further, but they didn't want to start doing any blood tests, etc. if simply increasing the amount of her intake would solve the problem. Last week (where she gained one ounce for the week, I supplemented about 2 ounces each day, divided among a couple of feedings. When I took her back yesterday, they told me they want me to supplement 1 to 2 ounces for at least 4 feedings a day, after she is done BFing. I don't know how that is really working out, though. She will eat everything that I offer to her (usually 2 ounces). However, after she eats that much, she usually will not each much for the next 1 to 2 feedings. So, if she would normally eat for 30 minutes, she will now only eat for about 15 and she isn't eating as well as she would normally, more like comfort nursing than actually wanting to eat. If I try to get her to eat again, she will maybe nurse for another 5 minutes before she is done again. Yesterday, we supplemented 5 ounces total, and today so far it is 4 ounces

As for the pooping, no she did not seem to be uncomfortable beforehand. Her stomach always seems soft, and she doesn't appear to be backed up. She never had hard poop, her poop seemed/seems normal. She did poop normally for about the first week before she started having the problem with no poop. She is very gassy sometimes, which we have given her Mylicon for, but it is just off and on, it isn't a constant problem. She isn't fussy, except when she is gassy. She has only started spitting up some, but that didn't start until I started supplementing, and I think she only does it now because she eats too much. Each time I take her to the doctor (I have been 3 times for her not gaining weight, in addition to the first check up and the follow up weight check where she was gaining) they think she looks fine and she acts fine.

Chemical p/g 1/11/08

April 7th, 2010, 04:50 PM
you can always ask to go in and have them weigh her before and after feedings to see how much bm she is getting per feeding

April 7th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think that's a good idea. Have you been working with a lactation consultant or someone from your local La Leche League through all of this? They may also have a scale you can get a before/after weight on.

Follow her lead and go with your instincts on how much to supplement. If you think it's too much, then don't feel bad about cutting back. You have to remember, YOU are the mom, and you make the final decision on what you do with your children, not your doctor. Your doctor is just looking at numbers (weight) and wants to see those numbers go up like they are "suppose" to. He's not there feeding her and watching her cues, so YOU make the decision on how much you want to give her after feedings.
Her poop sounds normal, and it's possible she's just one of those children that doesn't follow the usual patterns.

I think a good next step though is to start working with a good lactation consultant, someone with a lot of knowledge in breastfeeding and weight gain. Work with both your doctor and the LC to decide what to do next.

I wanted to share this link with you too, there are some good articles about slow gaining babies that I think might help you feel a little better about your situation.
LLLI | Weight Issues

Expecting baby #4!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search