need to increase milk supply

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 14th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Regular
Hi! I'm new to this forum. I have a 4 week old baby boy. He was hospitalized at 5 days due to jaundice and they started him on formula there because they said that I was not producing enough milk. Since then, I have continued to bf and also supplement with formla as I did not want my baby to get sick again. I really wanted to be able to exclusively BF for the first few months and feel like a failure that I cannot do so. Any suggestions or avice on how i can increase my milk supply so that I can stop the formula or is it too late?
March 15th, 2005, 01:19 AM
threeboyznme70's Avatar Veteran
here's some information on how to wean from supplements.
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/decrease-formula.html
to increase your supply, the best thing to do is nurse nurse nurse. If you can take a day or to and have a nurse-in, you'll do wonders for your supply.
Take the baby to bed and nurse as often as the baby requests. Make sure you are watching for early feeding cues. Tonguing is the first. Then rooting/fists to mouth. Crying is a late hunger cue, so you want to get to the baby long before then for a better feeding.

HTH, ask more questions if you need more answers!

Tracy
March 15th, 2005, 06:29 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
I have been through this and have lots of advice. Order an SNS. You can get a SNS (Supplemental Nursing System) from Medela. They are not much money. I will find you a link if you need one.

This is what I did with Brandon. You can not just go from supplementing to not supplementing. It takes a little while to see your supply go up. The sns is a little tube that you put in the babies mouth while you nurse. This way he is stimulating your breasts while he supplements and he is getting some breast milk.

I would start nursing as frequently as you can. The more you nurse the more your supply will go up. I nursed Brandon every hour to hour and a half to get my supply up.

I also think you need to see a lactation consultant. This is the best way to wean off of formula. She can weigh baby after nursing and see how much breast milk you are producing. I seen one every week with Brandon until my supply started improving.

I started weaning Brandon off the formula a little at a time. Every few days I would decrease his supplementing by maybe an oz. I would take him into the lactation consultant to have him weighed to make sure he was gaining weight. You need to make sure baby's health comes first and you do this gradually and work with a lactation consultant.

Once you are down to just a few oz of supplementing a day I would recommend having a nurse in. That is a weekend spent in bed just nursing. I tried to do a nurse in before my body was ready and it just led to frustration and tears on both of our parts. If you wait till your supply just needs a little boost its easier.

You can do this. I went from supplementing Brandon 2-3 oz per feeding to exclusively bfing. It took us a couple months though. And if you still need to supplement thats okay too. But you can try using an SNS that way baby is getting the bonding experience while you supplementing.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
March 15th, 2005, 08:06 AM
Natural Blessings's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You are NOT a failure.

At 5 days your milk may not have been in yet and that could be why the baby was taking so long to get the bilirubin out and had to be hospitalized.

Try to nurse the baby at all feedings before giving formula. Make sure the baby eats on 1 side until the baby comes off the breast, then switch to the other side. If the baby is acting like it didn't get enough(crying) then offer a bottle of formula. If dh or someone else is around, get them to give the baby the formula and pump after the baby has nursed.

You can eat lots of oatmeal, take herbs like Fenugreek, brewers yeast, milk thistle, drink a mothers milk or lactation tea to increase your milk supply.

As a last resort you can take a prescription drug called Domperidon. Reglan is another one but it has more side effects.
March 15th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to Ana_and_Gage's_Mommy
Herbs, foods and medications to help increase supply Eat a bowl of cooked oatmeal daily. Brewer’s Yeast 3 tablespoons daily, increase by ˝ teaspoon daily until results are seen (of equivalent in capsules) Fenugreek capsules are helpful for many women. Doses of (580-610 mg) 3-5, three times per day are commonly recommended. Discuss this with your physician. Avoid fenugreek if you are diabetic, hypoglycemic, asthmatic or allergic to peanuts or other legumesFenugreek is available at most vitamin shops or health food stores. Taken as directed, it may cause a faint maple body odor. That is to be expected and means that the herb is doing it’s job. If you would like to read more about fenugreek, go to http://users.erols.com/cindyrn/fenugreek.htm Blessed thistle or other herbs or beverages such as Mother’s Milk Tea taken as directed on package. A good source of herbs and herbal blends is MothersLove Herbals http://www.motherlove.com/prd_tinctures.html Metaclopromide (Reglan) 10 mg 3 X / day for 10 days, taper dose over several days, may repeat twice (prescription medication, discuss with your MD)

March 15th, 2005, 03:33 PM
mamasboys0204's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to mamasboys0204
it's not to late at all. what everyone said was good! i didn't see anyone say anything about fenugreek (sorry if you did) but that is a herb that is really good for increasing milk supply. you take 2-3 capsules 3 times a day and you can get it from pretty much any drug store. i would also drink a lot of water and nurse as much as you can. this should work!
xoxo, Tiffany

March 15th, 2005, 09:21 PM
Veteran
I was wondering how the hospital staff would know if you were producing enough milk.
Expecting #2 in October
March 16th, 2005, 09:35 PM
Regular
thanks for all the advice! I have started BF more and more often. Now we are down to supplementing 5 oz a day from 16 oz day......I have one more question though....he does okay all day but then seems to be really hungry at night and that is when I hvae to give him the formula.....could there be any reason for this??? I have not tried fenugreek yet, but I will get it tomorrow. I have not seen a lactation consultant yet......are they VERY helpful or is mostly the same advice that you guys are giving?
March 16th, 2005, 09:38 PM
Regular
the hospital had me pump and that is how they knew how much I was getting. Ofcourse as someone said, he was only 5 days and my full supply may not have been in, but I got really scared that I was not producing enough. Now, in the morning after I have rested for a while, I pump and get about 3.5 oz......does anyone know if that is average or below average or too little????
March 17th, 2005, 05:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by shibani@Mar 17 2005, 01:38 AM
the hospital had me pump and that is how they knew how much I was getting. Ofcourse as someone said, he was only 5 days and my full supply may not have been in, but* I got really scared that I was not producing enough. Now, in the morning after I have rested for a while, I pump and get about 3.5 oz......does anyone know if that is average or below average or too little????
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]
First of all that is a great amount to pump. The average is three to four oz. I never pumped more than four at a time and I had a great supply at the time. Second of all, pumping is not a good way to determine your supply. You will never pump as much as your baby can get out while nursing. If you want to know how much baby is getting there are a few things you can do. One thing you can do is go to a lactation consultant or rent a scale and weigh your baby before and after nursing. You can also do a diaper count. If baby is producing six wet diapers you are in good shape. Another thing the lactation consultant told me to look for was the color of their stool. Breastfed babies should have seedy mustardy colored stool. If you see dark brown stool it could mean baby isn't getting enough milk. Of course this applies to bf babies, if your baby is getting formula his stools will probably look different.

March 17th, 2005, 05:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by shibani@Mar 17 2005, 01:35 AM
thanks for all the advice! I have started BF more and more often. Now we are down to supplementing 5 oz a day from 16 oz* day......I have one more question though....he does okay all day but then seems to be really hungry at night and that is when I hvae to give him the formula.....could there be any reason for this??? I have not tried fenugreek yet, but I will get it tomorrow. I have not seen a lactation consultant yet......are they VERY helpful or is mostly the same advice that you guys are giving?
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]
The night time is the best time to pick up your supply. I have read that nursing at night more frequently can really boost your supply. I am not sure if you are okay with cosleeping but this is what I did with Brandon. When I was trying to get my supply up I just slept topless with him and nursed all through the night. It only took me two days of this to get my supply back up. The fact that you are pumping three and a half oz is a great sign to me. With Brandon I wasn't even making an oz and a half when I pumped.

March 17th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Natural Blessings's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
In the morning your body has a larger milk supply. In the evening alot of moms find that the babies seem hungrier due to having a lower supply. If the baby seems like it's attached for a few hours eating it's normal, most babies do that. It is a way to increase the supply but also alot of babies get fussier during this time and a way to calm them is to nurse them. As your milk supply increases he won't seem as hungry in the evenings. To cut out that much formula in this short time is great. Keep in mind your baby will be hitting another growth spurt around 6weeks and he will be hungrier and eat more often during this time.
March 17th, 2005, 08:14 PM
Regular
I'm glad to hear that the amount I pump is a good amount. During the day if i pump after feeding him, its barely an ounce.....but I hear you girls......pumping is not an accurate gauge of measuring how much milk i am producing. I think he is doing okay now. He does seem more fussy and hungry all the time....but I am hoping that its because he is going through a growth spurt.......he is getting enough wet diapers, although they are not as heavy as they were when he was getting the formula. His stools are very liquidy (common with BF babies) and dark mustard in color.......he does not have a lot of bowel movements though. On the formula he had 3-4 BM every day, now he has only 1........I think I will take him to the doctor's office to weigh him to make sure everything is okay.
March 17th, 2005, 08:20 PM
Regular
Quote:
[
The night time is the best time to pick up your supply. I have read that nursing at night more frequently can really boost your supply. I am not sure if you are okay with cosleeping but this is what I did with Brandon. When I was trying to get my supply up I just slept topless with him and nursed all through the night. It only took me two days of this to get my supply back up. The fact that you are pumping three and a half oz is a great sign to me. With Brandon I wasn't even making an oz and a half when I pumped.
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
[/quote]
I am cosleeping........Armaan is usually in bed with us! And i have started BF him while lying down which is great b/c I can get a little rest and he can continue feeding as long as he wants.
March 19th, 2005, 08:56 AM
It sounds like things are getting better for you. Keep us posted on how his weight is at your dr visit. I think you are doing everything right.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search