will having bottles on hand be too much of a temptation?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 24th, 2010, 01:21 AM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
I'm down to under 8 weeks to go and am starting to wonder about bottles. I REALLY want to exclusively b/f, but given the problems I had with Gaby (latch problems, position problems, lack of support), I am wondering if it'd be a good idea to have bottles on hand - incase things do get to the point that I'm losing the plot, and so is Emersyn...

But then the other part of me (the part that feels confident about b/f) thinks that it will be too much of a temptation if I know I have bottles on hand... too easy to just start expressing - or supplementing with formula (not that either of these options are wrong, but I want to give b/f a really good go, kind of a personal challenge)...

I have purchased a breast pump - because if I really *can't* b/f, I want to express as long as possible. There are two bottles that came with the breastpump, so I am just wondering if I should leave my bottle stash, at that? Or do you all recommend having some bottles on hand 'just incase'?

It's not going to be too hard for me to go out to the supermarket to get some, if I NEED to - but I don't think it'll be as much of a temptation as actually having them in the house....

I guess I'm just worried that if I have bottles in the house, that will lead to me buying formula & starting to use formula - and will end up with me just giving up on b/f, because there might be a little more effort involved, or it might be a little harder, than just making up a bottle & popping it in her mouth...

thoughts? advice?

April 24th, 2010, 04:34 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Walmart, etc is open 24/7, no need to have more than those 2 bottles with the pump on hand

April 24th, 2010, 05:55 AM
wclark602002's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
the only bottles i had were the ones that came with my pump but it was a little later on before i bought that.i told myself that if i had to give her somethin else it would be in a cup,spoon,syringe or sumthin.and all the free samples they swamp you with of formula went to good homes just not mine..i knew if it was here then about 2 weeks in id be exhausted and start thinkin "just one" she has never had formula and never liked bottles were still goin strong at 11.5 months

Virtapay, alternative to paypal...its FREE!!!
http://www.virtapay.com/r/wclark602002
April 24th, 2010, 05:56 AM
mommabirdof4
My personal opinion and my advice to you (take it or leave it) is do NOT by any more bottles. Those two will be plenty if you do happen to give a bottle for some reason.

The temptation is very hard to get through if you do have bottles on hand. In my case I was unable to BF my son...had so many issues. Got pregnant with my DD when my son was 3 months...so when she came along he was still on formula and a bottle. So the temptation was hard to deal with but I just told myself that those are his bottles and since he was on toddler formula I couldn't give that to her anyway. Luckly soon after she came along he gave up the bottles so I sold them.

My daughter is 9 months and has not had one bottle....not one drop of formula.

You can do it!!!!
April 24th, 2010, 06:18 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I didn't buy any. I had 2 sample cans of formula in a drawer that I forgot about. It was definitely easier to stick with it knowing that I didn't have the supplies on hand (and we have no 24/7 Walmart, or 24/7 anything for that matter!!). I'd stick with the 2 bottles that came with the pump, and see how it goes.

Thanks to Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for this beautiful sig!

April 24th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
With my Collin I had one bottle in the house just in case and used it when he was 3 days old.

With Bailey I had 6 bottles in the house, and while bailey was supplemented in the week she was in the hospital, once we came home she was not supplemented at all in those 1st few weeks.

I definitely think having bottles on hand makes it easier to give in to giving expressed milk or formula. One suggestion I have is to not keep any samples of formula in the house! I blame that on my weaning after just 2 weeks with Thomas and supplementing w Collin.

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
April 24th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Rebecca^'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Rebecca^ Send a message via MSN to Rebecca^ Send a message via Yahoo to Rebecca^
I personally say no bottles at all. If you need to supp there are other ways, spoon or cup feeding, or a med syringe - that is what I used for my daughter. She never had a bottle until she was like three months or so.
April 24th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have a few bottles since I had to supplement with Meg during her first month. However, in the last 3.5 months I haven't really used them - only a couple of times with EBM. For me I hate pumping and prefer BFing so it's not hard to ignore the bottles. I even still have some formula from when we were supplementing but I never think about it and would never choose to use it over BFing. For me BFing is just easier than the mess and inconvenience of bottles and cleaning bottles (which I HATE!).

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
April 24th, 2010, 03:40 PM
JT_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had the bottles that came with my pump, but no nipples. I wouldn't keep any nipples in the house. Worse comes to worse and you get desperate, use a medicine syringe. That is what Jalen's Dad used the first time I left. I was only leaving for an hour and had just fed him, but he still wanted to eat. My backup plan was the syringe and it worked just fine and didn't interfere with him latching on.
April 24th, 2010, 10:17 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm78 View Post
Walmart, etc is open 24/7, no need to have more than those 2 bottles with the pump on hand
I agree. I had 1 bottle, just incase. I did use it alil more then I wanted to, but have had to use one in awhile.

Exclusively nursing my handsome son!!!
April 29th, 2010, 11:40 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If you think it's a pitfall - avoid it! I had bottle with my first because I was obsessed with being worried that he wouldn't take them when I went back to work. I know they recommend waiting until they are past 8 weeks - but I couldn't when I had to be at work at 6 weeks - so I started him taking a bottle a day at about 2-3 weeks I think it was...it may have been earlier. Initially he didn't have any problems with latch, but when I went back to work & he had to have bottles all day - it became an issue - although I wasn't sure that was it then....looking back I know it was. Issac has had a few bottle recently. He has gone to sleeping poorly at night & when my moms comes in the morning to let me nap, if he needs to eat before three hours she give him a bottle & waiting this long seems to have given us a chance not to have latch issues. It also helps that I am not working I am sure! I never even bought bottle this time around & I threw out all of Jonah's after the BPA thing....but anyway - I would not have a bottle to even give him except someone gave my nice two that she didn't want to use because they aren't adaptable to her pump. They aren't adaptable to mine either (these are Avent & I have a Medela PIS), but I need them so seldom I don't really care.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

April 30th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
For us it wasn't a big deal, we had a few formula samples in the house but I put them way back in the pantry, and just told myself I wasn't going to use them...and I didn't, I just recently gave them away to friends who are FF. As for bottles, we had to use them as I went back to work at 8 weeks. But for us they weren't tempting. We started doing a bottle a day at 4 weeks (and I pumped in place of that feeding so it didn't affect supply), and we never had trouble going back and forth between the two. (Luke even got bottles for a week while I was out of town and still didn't have a problem...he was older then though).

Expecting Baby #3, due September 9, 2014!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search