CSections and Breastfeeding

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 25th, 2010, 06:19 PM
HuskerMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a question for all you ladies who has gone through a c-section. Do you find that it's been an easy nursing experience for you or more of a challenge? For some reason, I want to blame my supply issues on the mere face that I had a c-section, and my body wasn't able to go through the natural parts of childbirth to stimulate milk production in an adequate way. I'm not sure if I'm the only who thinks this, but please let me know what your experiences have been. I had difficulties with my first son (didn't get to nurse him for 12+ hours), and thought things were going well with DS #2 (got to nurse him within 30 minutes of RCS). However, I feel like I'm not stimulated enough milk to satisfy him, but making enough to help him thrive. He's gaining weight and has enough pees and poops. I just never feel full, never feel a letdown, and when he eats it's a solid suck, suck, suck for 3 or less minutes, and then it's nibble, nibble, nibble, pause, swallow...and that pattern goes on for anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour. Anywho, I just wanted to see what others thought regarding the subject matter. Thanks!
April 25th, 2010, 07:25 PM
SandKmommy's Avatar Seamus and Kieran's Mommy
I know some can have issues bfing after a c-section but, milk production wise, I didn't. It was alittle challenging with my weight/size and the incision to possition her right but I still had alot of milk(but I also over produced with my son who wasn't a c-section)

April 25th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't think my csection caused any issues that I wouldn't have encountered with a vaginal birth. I'm bfing twins and had to pump a lot in the beginning. My supply wasn't high enough for them, but they weren't good at sucking, so I think that was my biggest issue with supply. I pumped in the hospital and for a while at home and my supply was quickly where it needed to be.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

April 25th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My milk came in 2 days after I had my c-section and then I was engorged BIG TIME! So no, I don't think the c-section affected my supply. What did affect my supply was not waking my DD up to eat often enough - often letting her go 4+ hours without eating in the first few weeks! Also, I wasn't eating a lot so my calories were way down, but I just wasn't very hungry at first. My supply went up when I started nursing my DD more and eating more.

As for let down, I didn't really experience that feeling (or at least recognize it) until into my second month of nursing. Now it's unmistakable.

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
April 25th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Super Mommy
Girl I totally feel ya. I had so much milk with my first daughter and I was in labor with her for 24hrs. I remember when I would let down it was quirt every where and she would pop off cuz of my let down and would spray her. Heck I remember using a hand pump that I was using while watching tv and then all of a sudden my hand was wet. I had FILLED the bottle to over flowing. Yet with Elias I had a c-section, I have just enough to keep him happy. I couldnt pump 3+oz from one boob if my life depended on it, not eve when I am engorged. So I totally feel you. We are making it thru though, I will NOT give up and I do NOT want to supplement as that just undermines the whole thing.

Exclusively nursing my handsome son!!!
April 26th, 2010, 04:10 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I had no issues with bf'ing but i was in labor for 26 hours prior to the csection. I think it can affect when your milk comes in, but not overall supply, you just have to trust in your body and your supply, stay well hydrated and eat enough. Have you looked at the sticky here on the 3 day nursing sabbatical?

April 26th, 2010, 08:31 AM
mom2mande's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Elijah was my 5th c-section and I never had a problem with supply thankfully and my milk usually comes in about 36 hours after delivery.
April 27th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Devan'sMama's Avatar ♥Devan's Mama♥
I was in labor for 4 days before my c-section and my only problems with my milk supply were oversupply issues when Devan was around 3 months old. I was able to BF Devan immediately after surgery though.

Do you have your LO on a strict feeding schedule? IMO, it's the strict feeding schedules that can cause supply issues, not necessarily c-sections.
April 27th, 2010, 03:53 PM
HuskerMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No, I let him nurse on demand. As soon as he's fussy and or rooting, he's latched. I'm not a scheduled person at all, because it's their own schedule not mine.
April 27th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Rebecca^'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Rebecca^ Send a message via MSN to Rebecca^ Send a message via Yahoo to Rebecca^
I think that the biggest thing that happens with a c-section is you are tired, your baby is usually tired, and therefore baby is not being latched on as much as he should be.

My first c-section I was so drugged up, I could barely function... my baby was really sleepy... I really did want to breastfeed but I didn't latch him enough *every 2 hours* and my milk didn't come until like day 10! By that time he had had a bottle far too long, he would never latch.

My second child was a vag birth and again I just didn't nurse her enough either... my milk came in about day 7 but by that time I was just fine with formula feeding.

My third child was another section and whatever drugs they gave me caused me to be pretty lethargic, however, I did latch her often and when we supp'd we used a med syringe. My milk came in on day 5.

My fourth child was another section and I don't know what was done differently but I came out of surgery awake and alert and I nursed my currently nursling every single time - every two hours, I never missed a feeding and guess what? My milk came in on Day 2 - yes Day 2! Wow - It was unbelievable!

So I really think the correlation is how soon and how often baby is nursing during those first 48 hours. I think it makes a huge difference and the fact is - often us c-section moms are drugged up and in a lot of pain so we may nurse less often than we should.

This is just my opinion based on my personal experience though.
April 28th, 2010, 10:41 AM
JT_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If you were to go on the Natural Child Birth Board, I am sure they could give you some good information. I really wanted a NCB and one of the reasons I was so Anti c-section was because I was convinced I would have problems breastfeeding. There is a correlation with problems breastfeeding and c-sections in research. I was lucky and had no problems, however. From what I recall, it does have something to do with hormones not being released in a c-section that are in a vaginal birth, but I really don't remember the details.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search