We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
First, a little back story. Now, I kind of post random in here, though now, will be far more active. Some of you may be familiar with my last post, where I was utterly devastated about the medication I had to be put on (for 6 months) and the fact that the doctor putting me on the medication (a vascular specialist) told me I shouldn't breastfeed with it.
I posted this as my FB status on Saturday:
Thomas W. Hale, R.Ph. Ph.D., Professor of Pediatrics states that (the medication I am on) should not enter the milk compartment, nor would it be orally bioavailable to the infant. Taking into consideration everything I have learned, as well as after speaking to many doctors, my family and I have determined that the benefits of continueing to breastfeed my daughter far outweigh any minimal risks.
This was a decision that took me and my family (being my SO lol) a lot of preparation. We did a lot of research, talked to many many doctors, discussed it with each other for hours (inbetween my dozing off in the hospital), and even brought in the religious aspect, and I recieved a blessing of guidance from my church, and spent several hours praying and questioning myself before making this decision. I am happy that I did. After nearly 5 days of recieving EBM by bottle, (and 2 bottles of similac when we ran out of EBM), not 10 minutes after I returned home from the hospital, my daughter latched perfectly and has been beautifully breastfeeding ever since.
Her next Ped appt is Weds, I am going to request the Peds check her PT, PTT, and INR levels (how quickly her blood clots) both because of my history now, and because the med I am on is a blood thinner. As long as her levels look well, our breastfeeding relationship will continue to thrive.
It has been beautiful, spending this time with her again. And I have to say, which I may be biased, but I truly believe she enjoys breastfeeding. Once after returning home I tried to chase bfing with a bottle of EBM because I was worried she wasnt getting enough from me (my supply was dwindling rapidly in the hospital from stress) but she pretty much refused it, spitting the nipple out and fussing, and then fell asleep no problem on her own.
And you know what I love? The little noises she makes. The little "hmms" and "ahhs" in the back of her throat, the little half smile she gets while nursing, and the comfort. This may sound greedy, but she actually prefers me over others in my family (we are staying with my parents so I am never alone, because of the illness and all), and it isnt even just to nurse. She wants me when shes not hungry too, and it makes me feel nice, because I lost soooo much time with her while I was in the hospital.
So ladies, I kinda wanted to butt in and tell my story, because you'll have to expect to see a lot of me around for a looong time, and I am really looking forward to getting to know you all.
I am Monica I'm 21. My fiance is John, hes 22. We've been engaged for over 5 years. Our son is Sebastian, he is 4. I breastfed him for 22 months. I want to say he was exclusive, but there was ONE time (involving hospital stays) we attempted a bottle of formula, but he wouldn't have it, so he was still pretty exclusive, right?
My fiance and I struggled for 18 months to concieve our daughter. 6 weeks in I fell ill to Hyperemesis Gravidarum. My case of HG was so severe, I eventually wound up recieving 100% of my nutrition through an IV catheter (it was a central line). I never kept any food or liquids down, ever, I lost 20+ pounds, and was in constant pain and suffering from it.
Around 35 weeks pregnant, I fell short of breath. I thought I had bronchitis, or at worst, pneumonia, an went to the hospital. Lo and behold, to everyones (even the doctors) surprise, I had a blood clot in my left lung. I was admitted into the hospital, and met with the high risk OB, we'll call him Dr. Awesome. His partner, Dr. I'mRight is horrible, and we've had many problems, but I still had to deal with both of them. Dr. Awesome had already planned on doing an amniocentesis to check lung maturity at 37 weeks, but with the PE and how bad I had been suffering anyway decided we would do it at 36 weeks, and if lungs looked good, then we would induce.
WELL, the night before my amnio, I spiked a 103.2 fever. My heartrate skyrocketed into the 160s and they couldnt get it, or the fever under control. I was transferred, immedietly, from High Risk OB to ICU.
Needless to say, the amnio was cancelled. It turns out my central line had gotten an infection, and I became septic from a staph infection in my blood stream. I was treated with several IV antibiotics, I spent several days in ICU, my highest fever was 104.6, I was miserable. They kept me on IV pain medication to try to keep me comfortable but I felt as if every bone in my body was broken. I was on 24/7 baby monitoring, there was a nurse at my bedside at every moment watching her monitor.
Wednesday morning, April 7, I had finally gone almost 24 hours without a fever. Dr. ImRight came in, and said we'd induce that day. I was transferred down to L&D a couple of hours later. I haven't written my birthstory yet, but when I do I'll share.
April 8, 22 hours of labor later, Madelyn Grace was born at 36 weeks 5 days, her apgars were 9/9, and she was perfect!
We got to go home April 13, and it was April 19 I was admitted into the hospital again because I had developed noe one, but TWO more clots in my RIGHT lung this time. This is when I had to be switched to this new blood thinner, because the others had "failed" to prevent additional clots.
So here we are now, for my daughter I risked my life. The HG alone could have killed me, and in addition to that I stared death in the eyes twice while pregnant, and once thereafter. I fought tooth and nail for the safety and health of my baby girl, and I will continue to fight tooth and nail for the wellbeing and growth of her and my son.
I really look forward to getting to know all of you! I am thrilled to have this beautiful bond with my daughter, and I love having people to share that with. For any of you that read all of this, thank you! XD
Wow! What a story. What a journey. I am glad you researched your options and are continuing to breastfeed My DD loves it, there is no question about it. Even from a very young age she would get so excited when she went to nurse. Booby was her third word
I'm glad you're back and you were able to do some research and decide that the benefits of breastfeeding outweighed the risks of the medication you are on. I hope your breastfeeding relationship continues for a long time, and I'd love to see you stick around here!
Andrea, mom to 3 beautiful girls - Abigail (8) Annabelle (6) and Alexis (3)