He said the "F" word

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 26th, 2010, 06:07 PM
JT_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Rob came over tonight to hang out with Jalen so I could go get my nails done. I told him that he ate 5 bottles at daycare today... 4 oz each. This is the most he has ever eaten. I said that I hope my boobies can keep up. I don't seem to have the surplus that I did at the beginning of my return to work. I used to pump between 18 - 21 oz per work day, now I get between 12-16. I don't know why, I am not doing anything differently.

Anyway... Rob says "isn't there some kind of formula we can give him?" I looked at him and said that I don't really want to give him formula ever. Then I said no, there is no really about it, I DON'T want to give him formula. He was like "Ok, I was just asking".

So, he turns 6 months on Friday and I am going to start some solids this week. I know it isn't supposed to replace BM for his nutritional needs, but do you all think it will help with tiding him over when he is with Rob so he isn't eating more than I am making? He stays at Rob's every Thursday and we are down to the last four containers in the freezer and I haven't had enough to freeze since mid-march. I am a little stressed about it and wonder if the solids will help. Honestly, for that one night, I would rather replace BM with extra solids than give him formula, if need be. I have started pumping at home this week to try to build up a freezer supply so it doesn't come to that!
April 26th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think it's very normal for your pumping output to go down a bit as your baby gets older. Have you tried anything to increase your supply, like fenugreek, to help you get more while pumping?

Here's 2 links for you to check out:
kellymom.com :: I'm not pumping enough milk. What can I do?
kellymom.com :: Increasing Low Milk Supply

Expecting baby #4!

April 26th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wish I had a good answer for you but I don't. I give Meg one solid meal per day and honestly it doesn't make her less hungry for BM, I nurse as much as usual. And usually after she gets solids she wants to nurse immediately after. She loves the solids she's getting, even yells for more if I don't give it to her as fast as she wants, but she still doesn't seem satisfied after.

I completely understand not wanting to give formula because it killed me to give it to Meg during her first month. However, formula is more complete nutrition than solids, so maybe allowing Rob to give Jalen a bottle or two on the night he keeps him would be better than solids (at least for now)???? I don't know, just a thought.

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
April 27th, 2010, 05:38 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I agree, I pumped a LOT more when DD was a couple months old versus when she was older. Solids should not replace their nutrition from BM or formula until at least 10 months. Only in the past week or two have i noticed DD eating a bit less BM. Have you tried the power pumping?

April 27th, 2010, 06:17 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Aww Tanya that sucks. I know completely how you feel about the formula - I know it's not poison, it's not going to hurt her - but I've made it this far, I feel like I'd be failing myself if I gave her formula. I don't know, it would just really upset me. Hopefully pumping at home will help.

Does anyone else think the word "solids" is a ridiculous way to describe your baby starting on food? I laugh every time I read it. "I fed her solids". LOL

Thanks to Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for this beautiful sig!

April 27th, 2010, 06:34 AM
I haven't tried the power pumping yet. I actually just started pumping at home in the evenings this week, so hopefully that is all I will need. I have been eating oatmeal like crazy (have even come to not hate it) and I think it is helping. My first pump this morning at work I got 6.5 oz, which is my old "normal". So, maybe I am worried for nothing and it won't come become a problem!

Nat - I agree that is seems strange to call runny liquid foods solids.
April 27th, 2010, 08:15 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
i hope the evening pump and the oatmeal do the trick !

April 27th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Rebecca^'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Rebecca^ Send a message via MSN to Rebecca^ Send a message via Yahoo to Rebecca^
Also - just a reminder about the 6 month growth spurt. I always wait to start solids until after it's over just to make sure it has no affect on my supply. You will likely want to increase your pumping sessions to simulate the growth spurt.
April 28th, 2010, 11:27 AM
goingonfive's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ugh I'm sorry you are having to worry about this!!! (((hugs))) How long is your little one at daycare?? I've never had a baby in daycare and CJ is the only baby I've nursed this long so all my other kids were on formula but from all I've read and heard from other working mommies a BF baby only needs [roughly] 1 oz of BM for every hour they are at daycare......so 20 ozs seems like a lot to me. Is he in a group daycare? A home day care? Is it just him and a baby sitter?? If it were me I would start there.....make sure they aren't over feeding him or giving him a bottle at the first sign of a whimper or cry. You of course know your baby best and maybe he needs 20 ozs but I bet with a bit of creative thinking and lots of distraction and a little bit of extra attention that daycare could maybe get his total ozs down.

Also if you are thinking about starting solids maybe have them feed him that at day care, it need not replace a feeding but if giving at the right time it might starve off that last 4 oz bottle until you can pick him up and nurse him.....that will save you precious milk and also help with increasing your supply cause he will drain your boob much better then the pump!!!

Good luck, I hope you get it workout so that you can do what you want to do!!! (((hugs))))

I wanted to edit my post to give you the link to Kellymom with the information about how much expressed milk a baby will need and the milk calculator!!!

kellymom.com :: How much expressed milk will my baby need?

Last edited by goingonfive; April 28th, 2010 at 11:30 AM.
April 28th, 2010, 02:54 PM
smileybrea's Avatar ♥ Proud Doula & CPST ♥
I'd second the power pumping and definitely increase your pumping session as you notice an increase on his part. You need to tell your body he needs more milk when he goes through a growth spurt. I understand your reasoning for solids over formula but they can't replace that nutrition. GL!

Did you know that 95% of children are not properly restrained in a vehicle?
Make sure your child is not one of them!

April 28th, 2010, 03:38 PM
RUNNER25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When my DS first started solids it didn't make much of a difference in his BM intake. But after a couple of months, he did space out his feedings so lunch did hold him over a bit longer. So, it will help but probably not right away.

April 28th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goingonfive View Post
Ugh I'm sorry you are having to worry about this!!! (((hugs))) How long is your little one at daycare?? I've never had a baby in daycare and CJ is the only baby I've nursed this long so all my other kids were on formula but from all I've read and heard from other working mommies a BF baby only needs [roughly] 1 oz of BM for every hour they are at daycare......so 20 ozs seems like a lot to me. Is he in a group daycare? A home day care? Is it just him and a baby sitter?? If it were me I would start there.....make sure they aren't over feeding him or giving him a bottle at the first sign of a whimper or cry.
No, this is definitely not the norm, which is why I mentioned it, it was WAY more than he normally drinks. He is at daycare from 640am to 320pm. Depending on what time he last nursed, his normal intake averages about 12 oz per day. Sometimes more, sometimes less. He usually goes thru 32 - 40 oz over the 3 days he is in daycare with her.

My daycare provider is an in home and she is great. She breastfed both her girls until they were over 2 years old (the youngest just turned 3) and is very supportive of BFing. She feeds on demand and I told her to give him as much as he needs. One oz per hour away seems like a low estimate to me, in talking to other Moms in the pumping room at work. I will have to check out the article you linked!

Small Update: I have been back to my normal milk production this week, getting about 16oz per day! I have about 54 oz in the fridge to send with Rob! This has to last from Thursday after his 530am nursing session, until I pick him up on Friday around 3pm, so he should be all set! There might even be some to freeze!

Last edited by JT_Mama; April 28th, 2010 at 04:34 PM.
April 28th, 2010, 09:05 PM
goingonfive's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by **Tanya** View Post
No, this is definitely not the norm, which is why I mentioned it, it was WAY more than he normally drinks. He is at daycare from 640am to 320pm. Depending on what time he last nursed, his normal intake averages about 12 oz per day. Sometimes more, sometimes less. He usually goes thru 32 - 40 oz over the 3 days he is in daycare with her.

Small Update: I have been back to my normal milk production this week, getting about 16oz per day! I have about 54 oz in the fridge to send with Rob! This has to last from Thursday after his 530am nursing session, until I pick him up on Friday around 3pm, so he should be all set! There might even be some to freeze!
Oh how wonderful your daycare provider sound, that is awesome she is so supportive....a lot of working mommies don't have that!!! You and Jalen are so lucky!!!

So glad you are pumping more....on a side note do you think maybe AF is getting ready to start or return!?!?! Some woman notice a small dip in supply from ovulation to just before AF starts. Mine came back last month and couple that with the normal 6 month growth spurt and I swear my CJ was on the boob 24 hours a day!!! ((hugs))) Just throwing another theory out there for ya

April 29th, 2010, 10:58 AM
It could have been my period. I don't actually bleed because I have a Mirena in, but I have really bad PMS symptoms about a week ago. It would definitely make sense.
April 29th, 2010, 11:58 AM
meddleman's Avatar Loving my girls!!!!
It definitely could be your period! Have you tried the monster cookies? I make a batch and then freeze them and eat them when I feel like I need to make more milk Doesn't hurt that they are yummy!!!!
April 29th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meddleman View Post
It definitely could be your period! Have you tried the monster cookies? I make a batch and then freeze them and eat them when I feel like I need to make more milk Doesn't hurt that they are yummy!!!!
LOL! "tried them" might be a bit of an understatement. I just finished off a batch I made on Sunday. I love them and notice a really big difference in my supply when I eat a bunch of them. I am planning to make a batch and freeze them this weekend in packs of four so I don't eat them constantly until they are gone or I am going to be a cow! I call them my Lactation Cookies so the guys at work don't touch!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search