Growth spurt?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 27th, 2010, 06:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My Quinn is 3 weeks old today and has done NOTHING but eat from 8am this morning through now (and she's still hungry!) I've heard there is a big growth spurt at 3 weeks...is there any way I can tell for sure that this is what it is and that I'm not underproducing? It's shaking my confidence to have her hungry so often.

She's having plenty of wet and poopy diapers, so that's a good sign, I think.

April 27th, 2010, 06:27 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
sounds like normal infant behavior If she is having enough wet and poopy diapers, there is nothing to worry about. It will feel like she is nursing round the clock for the first 4-8 weeks, but it will get easier! Just get comfy with a book, magazine, wireless internet, remote control, water, etc.

April 27th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Sounds normal to me as well! I wouldn't worry about your supply as long as she is having plenty of wet/poopy diapers. Violet wanted to nurse for about 7 hours straight the other day (right around 3 weeks old) and then the next day did the same. Now she's back to every 2-3 hours during the day and a bit longer spaced out at night.

April 27th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It does sound like a growth spurt. Even experienced breastfeeders start to second-guess themselves during a growth spurt. With my second DD I had those moments that I questioned my supply because of cluster feeding or a growth spurt. In a few days (at most) it should be over and that should help, just hang in there until then mama!

Expecting baby #4!

April 27th, 2010, 08:18 PM
My DD also had a growth spurt at around 3 weeks and 6 weeks. Hers only lasted about 2 days, but it was very frustrating because it seemed like she constantly needed to eat. Hang in there, it will get better.
April 28th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
She's torn me up with this (my right nipple hurts just to EXIST) and doesn't seem the least bit interested in an expressed milk bottle. I just can't do this anymore...I'm giving up.

April 28th, 2010, 06:44 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
have you tried a nipple shield? that can help ease the pain. I hope you reconsider giving up, but I know this has been really tough for you and you will make the best decision for yourself.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search