Really need some support! Sorry so long (x-posted)

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 28th, 2010, 12:31 PM
cachex10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have 3 week old twin girls and my goal has always been to breastfeed them exclusively. I feel like at every turn I'm facing a TON of opposition.

Right after birth, in recovery (c-section), I was able to nurse one baby very briefly. The other baby didn't latch on very well at all so I didn't get to nurse her. The experience was brief because they weren't doing so well and were taken to the NICU.

In the NICU the babies were given formula not long after they were born, in bottles, and both babies threw up everything in their bellies. After that they were given NG tubes. Through those tubes they were given formula and all the breast milk I could express. My babies were born at 36 weeks so a bit early but my milk actually did come in within a day or two. Eventually I was coming in to the NICU at almost every feeding and trying to nurse the babies and the rest of their meal would be supplemented through the NG tube (mostly breast milk but sometimes formula if I didn't have enough pumped).

The NICU nurses and our ped office were all aware that my goal was to nurse exclusively. Almost 2 weeks into their NICU stay one of the doctor's at my ped office (NOT my children's doctor) decided that the babies needed to be supplemented using bottles so that they could leave the NICU and go home. I feel like they spent more time trying to discourage me from breastfeeding and less time helping me learn how to nurse two babies at a time. By the time we left the hospital I was a mess but at least pumping enough to have the babies only drinking breast milk in their supplement bottles.

So what we're currently doing is having me try to nurse each baby ... and then supplementing with 2 ounces in a bottle. We should be lowering the bottle amount for long stretches of successful nursing, like they did in the NICU, and we're going to start doing that again for them. Generally when I pump I can get 3-4 ounces from one breast in 20 minutes and maybe a little less from the other. I try to pump after every feeding, which is every 3 hours but there are some feedings my husband and mother have been taking so that I can sleep more than an hour at a time.

I'm not new to nursing ... I nursed my oldest for 17 months, my second daughter for 14 months and my youngest son for 13 months. I'm just definitely new to nursing twins. Is there any advice or resources anyone can suggest to help me? I'm trying so hard not to get discouraged but the fact that they were premature and that there's two of them is overwhelming me. One of my babies doesn't latch very well (maybe due to the bottles) and both of them are so sleepy still it's so hard to wake them for feedings. Will it get easier to do this when they're old enough to start eating on demand or basically waking up to eat?

Basically any advice and encouragement would be appreciated!!

April 28th, 2010, 12:38 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Congrats on your twins and wtg momma for sticking to you BF guns!!!! DD was born at 36 weeks and my milk came in the next day, luckily.

Nursing Positions for Twins
Nursing Twins Pictures - breastfeeding twins images.
here are some accessories: BREAST FEEDING
more info:
How to Succeed in Nursing Multiples | TWINS Magazine
LLLI | Nursing Twins

You can do it! I know there are moms of twins around here, i hope they chime in with some advice and support.

April 28th, 2010, 01:05 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You can do this!!! And yes, it's going to get easier!

It's not unusual for preemies to take awhile to get the hang of nursing, especially with all of the other things that went on (bottles, NG tubes, etc). Preemies, whether singleton or twin, don't have the strong instinct to know what to do the way full term babies do - but with each week that passes, they get stronger and less sleepy.

You've already made it through some of the toughest weeks, it will start to get easier. Hang in there just a little longer!
April 28th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Super Mommy
I can't imagine what its like to nurse twins, but I know you can do it! Three weeks and a stay at the NICU haven't allowed you enough time to create a rythym with nursing. Once you get a schedule and get to know your babies better it will get easier.

Thanks Babydoll213 for the perfect siggy!

April 28th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I know there is at least one mama on here who nurses twins, I'll shoot them a PM and see if they have any advice for you. Hang in there mama, it WILL get better!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search