dumb questio I think

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 28th, 2010, 01:39 PM
FruitLoopLace's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to FruitLoopLace Send a message via Yahoo to FruitLoopLace
Okay so when is the latest someone could start breast feeding??

Thank You Ashypoo03 for my Beautiful Siggy
April 28th, 2010, 04:04 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
As long as you are still producing milk, you can try to start breastfeeding. Usually if you are not nursing, the milk will come in and then dry up within a few weeks of birth.
April 28th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Super Mommy
Or you can re-lactate. Also wanted to let you know NO question is a stupid question.

Exclusively nursing my handsome son!!!
April 28th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Send a message via MSN to FruitLoopLace Send a message via Yahoo to FruitLoopLace
well, I am due to have a baby in 3wks, BUT I have a 16mth old i couldnt breast feed because they said he was lactose intolerate, and it wasnt until formula after formula did they realize it wasnt the lactose! so I dried up, NOW that I am pregnant and for some reason,my milkis back about full force. I called WIC office and they said as long as I dont have a lot of contractions and they are not long, or hard, then it is great to pump, BUT I just had a slight thought of my 16mth old son, should I just pump and add to his cup? Or just freeze forthe LO. My 16mth old has TERRIBLE immune system, and i feel like he got RIPPED. then I thought, about just trying to breastfeeding him, and if that is to weird, is to old, is it a habbit that would be bad to start now??

April 28th, 2010, 04:42 PM
JT_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That sucks about not being able to BF him! My son has a dairy allergy (which I think he might outgrow) and I just had to cut dairy out of my diet. I am surprised the Dr didn't recommend you try that first. And, the Dr explained that a diary allergy is not the same as being lactose intolerant. It is an allergy to a protein in dairy product, which is super common in babies, and they normally outgrow it in 6 - 12 months.

Anyway... I wanted to second that no question is dumb! And congrats on your baby, keep us posted if you decide to try nursing your son. If you have a deep freeze, you could probably save it for the new baby, but it is only good for 3 months in a regular freezer, so it may not be worth it in that case.
April 28th, 2010, 05:13 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
No question is dumb

My friend has an over supply with her third baby and has been giving her 2 and 4 year olds sippy cups of the extra breastmilk. Your LO may not been keen to the taste right off the bat, but offer it up a couple times and see. Worse case, freeze it. Do you feel like you need to pump because you are in pain of uncomfortable?

April 28th, 2010, 05:46 PM
no, im not in a lot of pain. My boobs do HURT though. I know that is normal. But, I just have noticed the amout in which I can express, and I thought, what a waste if I dont use it! That is just how I see it.

Well, I dont think I will try and breastfeed Sebastian, I think his age would make it awkward seeing how he doesnt remember when we tried when he was 2mths old. so I just will pump and let him try it. Thanks ladies. I just look at my 16mth old son and just wish I would have had this milk for him then, and the bonding time.(((SIGH)))

April 28th, 2010, 05:56 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it would be very good to give your 16mo breastmilk if you can, in a cup or whatever. The antibodies would probably be very good for him! Just keep an eye on whether pumping makes you contract or not.
April 28th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Right now you should be producing colostrum, which will have a bit of a different taste than your milk (which will come in around 2-4 days after your have your baby). Both are very good for him though, colostrum has a lot of antibodies because it's made to kickstart a newborn's immune system, so it would be great for his!
LLLI | What is colostrum?

I still breastfeed my 3 year old, so for us, even that isn't too old
April 28th, 2010, 08:25 PM
well I pumped! around 10 minutes on each, not ONE contraction! but, I only got about a half ounce all together, but I think it was nice and thick milk and colostrum, it looked white coming out, little watery, and when I looked in the bottle it was yellowish. I poured that little bit into his milk cup with his other milk, he had about an ounce left other whole milk, and he sucked it down . so I am hoping to keep this up. I feel so supported here!! thanks so very much!!!!HUGE Hugs to you all!!

April 28th, 2010, 08:34 PM
MotherFrog's Avatar lost in la la land
Adoptive mothers who have never had a baby can breastfeed too.

Grats on getting some milk for him, great way to wean him off the other milk!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search