colic in BF babies?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 29th, 2010, 12:58 PM
dbarney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Is this possable? DD for teh last 3 nights from 7pm to around midnight just cries, screams and fusses. I try to feed her but she just sucks to suck. She will arch her back get all red and you can't make her happy. I keep thinking it's something I ate but I haven't had anything different lately except a few cans of A&W root beer. I haven't had any for 2 days but she's still acting like that.

April 29th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Abba's Avatar Veteran
That sounds like what my LO did. We assumed it was colic. Nothing seemed to help - and it eventually went away. I changed my diet dramatically to no avail. Mine would scream and cry from 8-11 every night.
April 29th, 2010, 02:25 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
you can try burping during feedings, see if that helps. Also, we used Mylicon drops and gripe water. DD was not colicky but very sensitive tummy. Good luck and KUP!

April 29th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm78 View Post
you can try burping during feedings, see if that helps. Also, we used Mylicon drops and gripe water. DD was not colicky but very sensitive tummy. Good luck and KUP!
We have tried the drops all three nights but not gripe water. What is that? How do you use it?

April 29th, 2010, 04:58 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
there are a lot of brands, but i cannot remember which brand we used. I got it at a local health food store. Walgreens carries it and most pharmacies should, but the ingredients will vary.

Gripe water - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

April 29th, 2010, 05:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
What you describes actually sounds like reflux, does she spit up a lot? If not, she could also have silent reflux. Here's a few links for you to check out:
kellymom.com :: Spitting Up & Reflux in the Breastfed Baby
kellymom.com :: My baby fusses or cries during nursing - what's the problem?
kellymom.com :: My baby is fussy! Is something wrong?

It could also be just typical cluster feeding, since it is in the evening.
kellymom.com :: Cluster Feeding and Fussy Evenings

Another link on food sensitivities that might also help:
kellymom.com :: Dairy and other Food Sensitivities in Breastfed Babies

April 29th, 2010, 05:44 PM
she doesn't spit up at all. She's only done it twice since she was born. That's why I never thought it could be reflux but I didn't think about silent reflux. Thanks for the links.

April 29th, 2010, 07:09 PM
tela's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
jacob was EBF and had colic. classic colic. he cried all the time!!! it wasn't a digestive issue. colic is defined as unexplained crying in an infant for 3 hours/day 3 days/week for 3 weeks. jacob just cried and cried til he turned 2 months. then all the sudden it stopped. it was a VERY difficult time, but we got through it! GL. i know some things that helped him were swaddling and the swing. they didn't stop the crying, but it helped a bit.
April 29th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Super Mommy
Elias was the same way. He was fine for the first 2 wks. Then he was fussy/crying and I thought it was colic. Till his pedi said it probably wasnt colic and to elimiate milk from my diet. He is SO much better. But it takes awhile for milk protein to leave your system and then leave theirs. I now use soy milk in my cereal and non-dairy creamer. We used the Mylicon drops and Gripe Water also. Walmart carries Gripe water, atleast ours does. Good luck.

Exclusively nursing my handsome son!!!
April 30th, 2010, 10:55 AM
RUNNER25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For the first few weeks Colin would cry and fuss from 7-10pm, every night. You could set your watch by it. What worked for us was running the vacuum, keeping the lights low and walking around with him. I've read a lot about this and it's pretty normal.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search