Fussy baby? Could be the way you're nursing....

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 29th, 2010, 11:45 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just thought I would share as I thought this was interesting:
Quote:
Feeding Both Breasts at Each Feeding
Human milk changes during a feeding. One of the ways in which it changes is that the amount of fat increases as the baby nurses longer at the breast. If the mother automatically switches the baby from one breast to the other during the feed, before the baby has "finished" the first side, the baby may get a relatively low amount of fat during the feeding. This may result in the baby getting fewer calories, and thus feeding more frequently. If the baby takes in a lot of milk (to make up for the reduced concentration of calories), he may spit up. Because of the relatively low fat content of the milk, the stomach empties quickly, and a large load of milk sugar (lactose) arrives in the intestine all at once. The protein which digests the sugar (lactase) may not be able to handle so much milk sugar at one time and the baby will have the symptoms of lactose intolerance--crying, gas, and explosive, watery, greenish bowel movements. This may occur even during the feeding. These babies are not lactose intolerant. They have problems with lactose because of the sort of information women get about breastfeeding. This is not a reason to switch to lactose free formula.
  • Do not time feedings. Mothers all over the world have breastfed babies successfully without being able to tell time. Breastfeeding problems are greatest in societies where everyone has a watch and least where no one has a watch.
  • The mother should feed the baby on one breast, as long as the baby breastfeeds, until the baby comes off himself, or is asleep at the breast. If the baby feeds for only a short time only, the mother can compress the breast (Breast Compression) to keep the baby nursing. Please note that a baby may be on the breast for two hours, but may actually feed for only a few minutes. In that case the milk taken by the baby may still be relatively low in fat. This is the rationale for compressing the breast. If, after "finishing" on the first side, the baby still wants to feed, offer the other side.
  • The next feeding, the mother should start the baby on the other breast in the same way.
  • The mother's body will adjust quickly to the new method, and she will not become engorged or lop sided.
  • Just as there should be no "rule" for feeding both breasts at each feeding, there should be no rule for one breast per feeding. Let the baby finish on one breast (compress milk into his mouth if necessary to keep him swallowing longer) but if he wants more, then offer the other side.
  • In some cases, it may be helpful to feed the baby two or more feedings on one side before switching over to the other side for two or more feedings.
  • This problem is made worse if the baby is not well latched on to the breast. A proper latch is the key to easy breastfeeding.
Colic in the Breastfeed Baby by Dr Newman - The New Parents Guide

Recently it seems Isaac was getting fussier & fi\usier at night...well becaue he was having such a difficult time, often times without thinking I was switching breasts, hoping it would calm him faster & allow us to get more sleep - especially now with two where I have to get up with Jonah.....no matter how badly Isaac has slept (one thing I took for granted when I had ONE child...LOL). Anyway - I got to thinking about it & checked this out & I think I was CAUSING his fussiness...bleh! I was just so tired it didn't occur to me that I should not be giving him both breasts. He never had a green poop - but he stopped being so gassy as soon as I stopped doing this. Poor baby!

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

April 30th, 2010, 05:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Good information, thanks for posting that Beckie!

April 30th, 2010, 05:57 PM
..Penelope..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Beckie, thanks so much for posting this!! I think you may have just helped me with Logan's fussiness and gassiness!

Missing our angel baby since Feb 7, 2009

Visit
BeaMade for unique, adorable, high quality handmade crochet hats and booties, velcro free soother clips and soft sole baby boots.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search