Apparently I'm a bf snob

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 19th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have been having trouble getting Emerson to sleep since day 1 - she's just one of those kids who doesn't sleep much, I guess.

Anyway a friend of mine suggested to me yesterday that I just give her formula once in a while so I can get some sleep (i.e. have my DH feed her overnight). Now I know that formula isn't poison, it won't hurt her, etc, - but I REALLY find that sort of advice annoying. I've made it 6 months with no formula and no bottles, I kind of feel like I'd be failing her and me if we went that route.

Sorry, there is really no point to this thread, I just had to get it out there. No formula here

Thanks to Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for this beautiful sig!

May 19th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't really get why she said formula....I could have understood more if she said pump some milk and let dh feed it to her.
May 19th, 2010, 10:47 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I have had MANY people say that to me. It is annoying because yes, I am a BM snob. If for some reason I had an issue where formula was my only option, i would not be against it, but to give her formula for my convenience? no way. You could always do a bottle of pumped milk, but I really just let DD nurse when she needs to.

May 19th, 2010, 11:00 AM
mommabirdof4
I am a BM snob also!!! I don't see the point if you have no other choice...but just to give it for conveince is just silly. DH tried formula while I was in the hospital and it was a no go...she didn't want anything to do with it...so he just had to bring her to the hospital ever 4 hours or so.

I see nothing wrong with if you are just at a breaking point and really need a break for your DH to give some pumped milk so you can maybe get a few hours of extra sleep but that is the extreme.
May 19th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy

Especially at this age, I don't really see the point of doing formula just with a slight hope that it might help her sleep better. Plus, it's not really a good thing, because it's making her feel full longer, just because it's digested slower. It could end up being really hard on belly, especially if she hasn't had formula yet.

I'm a total BM snob too, Anna never had a drop of formula and I'm proud to say that!

I wanted to add too, some babies are just not good sleepers, it doesn't matter how they are fed. My first DD slept fine and my second DD just isn't much of a sleeper. She takes 30 minute naps and is still up around twice a night at 17 months. I've come to accept that is just how she is.

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

Last edited by andi2284; May 19th, 2010 at 12:06 PM.
May 19th, 2010, 01:27 PM
meddleman's Avatar Loving my girls!!!!
I will never understand why people quit bfing just for their own convenience! I've known a few who have done that, and at least one who is regretting it 6 months later.

My first DD didn't have a drop of formula, and hopefully Mia won't, either! Formula isn't poison, but we are told about the dangers of processed foods and to avoid them, why give them to a tiny baby when you have all that they need anyway?
May 19th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Devan'sMama's Avatar ♥Devan's Mama♥
I'm a BM snob as well. And while formula might not be "poison," I'm not a huge fan of processed ANYTHING & we don't buy canned food (unless we know it's safe) because of BPA. Why give your baby something that is processed & comes in a container that contains BPA if you are having no issues with BF'ing? I understand that there is a need for formula, so don't think that I'm totally dissing it but I definitely think it's silly to consider it if there is no need (& I realize that you're not - just saying).
May 20th, 2010, 06:22 AM
fromGirltoMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Honestly Im too lazy to make formula! I LOVE bfing, but oh my you would NEVER catch me making a bottle of formula. WHY would you rather do that than just pull out of your boob? Thats what I never understood..even if I had a SO I would NEVER not bf. I totally understand!
(( 01*21*14 ))

Thy will be done through me for the highest good of all and for the true manifestation of my purpose.

in this time and in the place, I try to live with love and grace
May 20th, 2010, 08:44 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
My MIL made the same suggestion to me the other day. Breastfeeding is going so well with DD2 that I can't imagine giving her formula when I can nurse or pump. Besides, she has reflux and breastmilk is so much better for reflux.
May 20th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm a BF snob as well even though I had to give Meg formula when she was having trouble gaining weight during her first month. However, since then I've refused to give her any and with baby #2 (whenever that happens) I know how to deal with slow weight gain without formula - I am better prepared for next time.

This past weekend we were at a family wedding and you would not believe how many times I heard the "giving her cereal before bed would help her sleep better" - ummmmmm, no it doesn't! Megan does get some solids but it's not consistent nor everyday but I can tell you she doesn't sleep any better when she gets cereal before bed. Some nights she sleeps 6-8 hours and others she doesn't - doesn't matter if she had solids or not.

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
May 20th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hey snobby!

My dd did have formula for one week when I was on medication for shingles but I "pumped and dumped" and then went back to bf'ing. So, no, formula is not poison but I have this real stigma with giving it to her now. I am working and am down to about 2 frozen bags in my freezer so have been pumping by brains out....because I don't want to have to give her formula! Glad I'm not the only one who feels that way! I've worked hard at this breast-feeding thing and now that it is going so smoothly I don't want anything to change that!
May 20th, 2010, 07:25 PM
JT_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I felt the same way when Rob mentioned formula that one week when my supply dipped. It amazes me how many people think nothing of it, as though it doesn't matter what you feed your child.
May 21st, 2010, 11:01 AM
cynb's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am a total breast milk snob! And I am proud of it, it is a real commitment to feed your baby and I actually enjoy it. People always say the dumbest things about feeding a baby. But, would anyone walk up to a FF mommy and tell her to give her kid a breast? The stigma surrounding bfing is really tiresome.

I am so glad that my children view it as normal and natural. My older boys actually told a friend who was giving her son a bottle, (and you have to imagine a 4 yr old who sounds smug) "that's not how babies eat, my mom feeds Connor with her boobs."
May 21st, 2010, 01:31 PM
^^too cute!!
May 21st, 2010, 01:33 PM
goingonfive's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Not a snob AT ALL!!! CJ is my first baby (of 5) that I have BF this long, all my other kids have been on formula and my last baby had zero BM and the only other "longest stretch" was my oldest for 3 months and I have refused formula for CJ from almost day one!!! I'm totally not against formula.....all my other kids are healthy and happy and flourished on formula but.........Why would I "FIX" something that isn't broke!?!?! I see no need to give CJ formula just so I could get what an extra hour or two of sleep........sleep just isn't that important to me at this point and time in my life!!! Maybe not everyone can see my reasoning but to me it makes PERFECT sense and I'm sticking too it!!! I'll have plenty of time to sleep......I won't always be able to give CJ bm!!!!!

May 23rd, 2010, 02:05 PM
fromGirltoMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I actually know someone who was out feeding their baby at a restruant (FF!) and a woman came up and told her how ashamed of her she was, and how she should feel guilty for not breastfeeding her son..and this mom actually had problems and was devastated that she couldnt bf! So its out, just going to the WRONG people! Say something to a mom who never even gave bfing a thought let alone tried it and tried it! She was so upset about it too!
(( 01*21*14 ))

Thy will be done through me for the highest good of all and for the true manifestation of my purpose.

in this time and in the place, I try to live with love and grace
May 28th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to countryjewelsc
i guess i'm a BF snob too. my MIL (and even DH) have tried to get me to give DS formua so i could sleep. my DS has not had a drop of formula and i am extremely proud of myself for that.

when i'm extremely tired, or had a few long nights, i will pump and let DH give DS a bottle, but it's always 100% pure breastmilk.

www.facebook.com/babylovecustoms, specializing in custom embroidery for children.

Make a pregnancy ticker
May 28th, 2010, 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromGirltoMommy View Post
I actually know someone who was out feeding their baby at a restruant (FF!) and a woman came up and told her how ashamed of her she was, and how she should feel guilty for not breastfeeding her son..and this mom actually had problems and was devastated that she couldnt bf! So its out, just going to the WRONG people! Say something to a mom who never even gave bfing a thought let alone tried it and tried it! She was so upset about it too!
Yeah you never know why someone is ff instead of bf.

I know too many people who quit bfing after a couple of weeks stating they had 'issues' and 'problems' when really they just didn't want to be the only one responsible for feeding the baby, there wasn't anything stopping them from bfing other than they were lazy. One chick in particular quits EVERYTHING she's ever done so a few of us had bets going on how long she'd last (she was ADAMANT about bfing before she got pg) and she lasted a whopping 2 weeks (and is now complaiing how they can't afford formula ). Those people are being selfish, imo.

But my sister who nursed her daughter for a year, had her son and found out she had thyroid cancer when he was 8 weeks old. She had to wean him and ff him bc of her treatments and medication. It was SO hard for her, and she did get 'looks' from people. She wanted to bf so badly but couldn't bc of her health. She plans to bf her third when they have another. So after that I would never say anythign to anyone, bc you just never know!
May 29th, 2010, 06:32 AM
Cheet_oh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
BF snob here too, well I guess it would be more of a selfish I want to bond with my baby thing. MIL tried to get me not only to give Ava formula but to put cereal in the bottle, not once but TWICE. She went out the second time and bought dollar store bottles and opened the holes in the nipples to accommodate the flow of the cereal and BOUGHT the cereal. DH told her that it was NOT going to happen

(Angela - 37) (Doug - 32)

(Steven - 20) (Sebastian - 18) (Mina - 13) (Ava - 4) (Aria - 1)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search