New here and need advice.

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 24th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Rammas08's Avatar Samantha =)
Hi everyone! I'm new here I just had my baby boy Carson on May 12th I have been breastfeeding him ever since (tomorrow will be two weeks!). I started pumping after feedings after the first couple of days so I could build up a supply for when I return to work. I noticed that my right boob was producing twice as much milk as my left, so I started having Carson latch on to the left boob first. My right boob almost overnight is no longer producing at most when I pump I get less than a half ounce.... I'm worried that my supply is drying up in right breast. He will feed for over an hour and still be hungry and I have to give him bottled breast milk after he feeds. . I have been suffering from chills too not sure if it's related, could this possibly be a clogged duct? I'm still feeding him and pumping every two hours, but I end up having to give him at least 2 ounces of bottled breastmilk in order for him to not be fussy and to be full. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
May 25th, 2010, 05:12 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
when do you go back to work? I would wait a little longer to introduce the pump if you can and let your body regulate your supply. I would alternate breasts at each feeding as well. It is not uncommon to have a super boob that yields more milk while pumping. Also, if you are having the chills or a temperature, you could have mastitis, i would see if the symptoms continue and then call your OB or DR or MW. Also, as far as "being fussy" most newborns want to be on the breast 24/7, this is normal and not always a sign of not getting enough milk. I would try NOT to give any expressed milk if possible.

May 25th, 2010, 10:26 AM
wclark602002's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i ditto PP...do the 3 day sabatical,it works everytime!!!

Virtapay, alternative to paypal...its FREE!!!
http://www.virtapay.com/r/wclark602002
May 25th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree, it sounds like it could be mastitis, I would see your doctor about it. Mastitis can start with a plugged duct too, which could explain why you are pumping less on that side all of the sudden.

When he gets fussy, I would offer the other breast instead of a bottle of breastmilk. It sounds like it could be a growth spurt and it's best to just nurse through it by continuing to alternate sides. Sometimes you will have to give him each breast several times before he seems content or full. Your breasts are always producing milk, so don't worry if you don't feel "full", you are still making milk for him. You also said you offer one breast first, are you switching sides in the middle of a feeding? Maybe try just giving him one breast and then offer the other one if he unlatches himself and wants more.

Expecting baby #4!

May 25th, 2010, 10:27 PM
Rammas08's Avatar Samantha =)
Thanks for the advice! i went to the Dr. yesterday and I do indeed have mastitis.... I do switch breasts in between feedings. My right boob is just not producing anything right now. The Dr. thinks it may have something to do with the lumpectomy I had and the radiation, he thinks the scar tissue may be affecting the supply as well. I'm still nursing him on both sides and I'm starting on my right side to help with the infection. Dr. said I should continue to pump after feedings too to help possibly unclog the duct. Wont this effect my supply? I've been putting heat compresses on my boob as well to try and help. any other advice to hopefully get things moving in there again?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search