self weaning signals

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 25th, 2010, 09:12 PM
sugary~snails's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I dont post here often, my name is amanda, my DD is Sophia and my DH is Chris. Sophia is 8 and a half months now..and I recently discovered we were pregnant again ()
I noticed that my supply dipped almost immediately..It took a few days of monster cookies and the 3 day nursing sabbatical..but I managed to pick it up a little bit..I can no longer eat or stand thinking of monster cookies.

Anyways, the past week I have noticed that Sophia shows no interest in breastfeeding unless she is tired. She still wakes 2-5 times a night to nurse for 5 minutes ( at this point I am cherishing these moments) and she does come to bed with us around 6 am and nurses straight through to 8:30 9:00. But after that point she REFUSES the breast until nap time around 12-2ish. She is eating solids like a champ. 3 meals a day...no eating issues. she will tend not nurse until bedtime! so between 8-10pm depending on when nap started/ended. She will get a sip here and there when i 'force' her to..a 35 second nursing session 50 times a day..I have been giving her water because of the heat and the solid food..and she would much rather drink water then BM. I am so confused! she usually does this when she is teething..but she usually includes solids in her strike. she is gobbeling up her solids..and demanding more and more each day.

She is very busy..so I suppose she COULD be just to busy to nurse..BUT she used to be a boob hound! I dont understand how she could go from being so attatched at the boob..to no real interest unless she is tired. I am wondering if this could be an indication of weaning? or could it really just be her reaction to my pregnancy..maybe she doesnt like the taste anymore? she is keeping up with 6 -8 pees a day..so I know she is getting enough liquid..I just know breastmilk should still be the major component in her diet..should I supplement with formula? just becuase a bottle can be an on the go thing and a boob can not. I cant get anything out with my pump..so pumped BM doesnt really work for me
May 26th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I've read that the taste of your milk does change when a woman gets pregnant, so that could be why she's cut down. It seems to be very common for younger babies to cut back when mom gets pregnant because her supply is decreasing the milk is changing. My DD was older when I got pregnant with our second (20 months) but she cut back on how much she was nursing and for how long over the first few months.

At her age, I think you should do what you are most comfortable. I personally would probably supplement with a little formula or try to get some donor milk to bridge the gap for the next few months. Even if she is eating solids and drinking enough, most foods don't offer the complete nutrition that breastmilk does. There's a lot of different opinions on what is best if you can't give breastmilk, some moms are fine with formula. I have a friend that decided to wean her son (around 9 months) and start goat's milk instead of formula because she felt that had a better nutritional value for him. You may also be able to get donor milk through a program like MilkShare, just enough to give her even a bottle or two a day until she is closer to a year old.

I hope that helps!

Expecting baby #4!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search