Bringing breastmilk on airplane???

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 26th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm going to visit my family in New Orleans in a few days and will be there for 4 days. While we are there, we want to give Skyler one bottle a day since he has just started taking them since I'm newly back at work. Do you know if I can bring the milk in my carry-on with an ice pack (it's a 3 hour flight). I don't think I would need to bring more than 15 ounces with me (he doesn't take more than 3 ounces per bottle) and if he is still hungry, I will be there to give him the breast. I was thinking it would be more cumbersome to bring the pump, but if they will hassle me over bringing the already expressed milk, I may just go ahead and bring the pump and pump at my parent's house, but I wouldn't pump more than I needed to as to not waste any liquid gold.

Does anyone have any experience with this or any recommendations?

Thanks ladies!

May 26th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I haven't traveled with BM but I did travel with my pump and did a lot of research beforehand. You just have to tell them you have the BM and it should be fine. They won't make you prove it's BM or anything. If you take BM I would just take fresh (never frozen) BM because once it's thawed it needs to be used within 24 hours. But with ice packs it should be good for the duration of the flight until you can get it into a fridge.

Expecting Baby #3, due September 9, 2014!

May 26th, 2010, 01:48 PM
bug, boo, n boogers mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was browsing through and saw this. I have traveled with bm before and have had no troubles with it. Here is a link from the TSA. When going through security, just let them know you have it! What they may do is have you open the bottle and they hold a strip above it, it does NOT go in the milk. Good luck!

TSA | Transportation Security Administration | 3-1-1 on Air Travel

Thank's to lovinMyGirls for my awsome name siggy!

May 26th, 2010, 02:45 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
good to know! we are flying in July and will probably bring a bit of milk with me.

May 26th, 2010, 03:34 PM
JT_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I went to Myrtle Beach last week and brought two 8oz bottles on board with me. I just took the little cooler thing out of my backpack, unzipped it and put it in the bin. No problems!
May 26th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You can bring BM with you. Some airports will ask you to open the containers and they will run a thing over it to "test" it. Some will act like they have no idea why you're telling them you have BM and others will need to know.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

May 27th, 2010, 07:51 AM
tela's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i traveled cross-country (6 hour flight but full day of travel) when jacob was 11 months old. i brought ~20 oz of EBM in a little cooler with ice packs. i also brought my pump. i admit it was a PITA, but i was in cali for a conference, so DH watched jacob during the day and needed the EBM. you have to declare everything before you get through security. they will take you aside and test each container of milk. i brought 4 bottles and a 5 oz frozen bag. obviously the frozen thawed during travel. i gave that to him when we checked into the hotel and pumped in place of that feeding. the rest got put immediately into the fridge. BFing while we were together was MUCH easier. but traveling with the milk was not so bad. the biggest hassle was how much we had to lug around (baby, stroller, diaper bag, pump, cooler, luggage!!!
May 27th, 2010, 08:25 AM
KAY MOM's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was about to ask this question myself as I'm planning on traveling in 2 weeks. Thanks for the input ladies.

May 27th, 2010, 02:57 PM
JT_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I guess it must depend on the TSA person you get. I had a total of 4 flights and none of them pulled me aside, or tested the milk, or even made me open the containers. I have on of the fridge to go cooler things and just unzipped it and put it in the bin. One of them, who hadn't seen me, said "oh, there must be a baby" so I peeked around the big post in the way and showed her Jalen. Other than that, not a word was mentioned. I guess it is best to be prepared to be stopped, though.
May 27th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Mystixism's Avatar Mistress of the Universe
You most certainly can bring BM with you. They have a line in most airports for family's or those with more than 4oz of medicinal fluids. As long as you proclaim what it is, you should not have any issues.

May 27th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Rammas08's Avatar Samantha =)
Thanks for asking this question! I'm traveling from Guam to FL (23 hours) the end of June and was wondering about this!
May 28th, 2010, 12:00 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Quote:
Originally Posted by bug n boo's mom View Post
I was browsing through and saw this. I have traveled with bm before and have had no troubles with it. Here is a link from the TSA. When going through security, just let them know you have it! What they may do is have you open the bottle and they hold a strip above it, it does NOT go in the milk. Good luck!

TSA | Transportation Security Administration | 3-1-1 on Air Travel
I even traveled a few times without a baby, but was pumping while I was gone. They did the strip test over the bottles of BM as well as on my pump, since I had just used it before going through security. No problems whatsoever.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search