BFing and working with radioactivity

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 27th, 2010, 10:35 AM
tela's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
this is a very specific question, and i realize that no one may have an answer. i searched online and on kellymom and could only find info about radioactivity for medical tests. i am a scientist. i just started a new job last week. there is an assay that involves radioactive isotopes. i was asked if i would like to be trained on this assay. it is my decision since i am a senior scientist and will not be in the lab often anyway. i have not mentioned that i BF since it hasn't come up! but i'm wondering if it's safe to work with radioactivity (of course safety precautions are strict that prevent/limit any exposure)?
May 27th, 2010, 11:07 AM
mommabirdof4
Howdy Momma! You sound like you have a really cool job by the way!

I don't have any advice but I can recommend trying to get ahold of Dr. Thomas Hale...here is his website index Since you are a fellow sceinist maybe it would be easy for you to get ahold of him.

He is a leader in what drugs are safe in Breastfeeding and I trust his information 100%.
May 27th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hello there!

I don't have much of an answer but I work in Radiation Oncology and have not heard of radiation adversely affecting breastmilk (at least not in the amount of exposure you would probably be receiving). I have very limited exposure (pretty much none right now) to "live" sources but I would be curious to know the answer to this question. Will you actually be handling the materials? You could call one of your local hospitals and ask to speak with the Radiation Safety Officer. They should know the answer. I'll try to ask our physicist tomorrow and see what he says. Post an answer if you get one!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search