Ouch!

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 28th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Six in the City
Has anyone else had problems with pain while nursing?? My dd is 10 almost 11 months old and all of the sudden the last 2 days it's been hurting like no other to nurse her. She only nurses on one side- apparently the milk on the other side isn't good enough for her?? I don't know. Anyway, she has caused my nipple to bleed even a little and it's really painful. It doesn't hurt at night when I nurse her and she's sleeping, it only hurts when it's during the day and she's wide awake. It almost feels like she is pinching it? I don't know and I don't know how to make it stop. Can anyone help?

Make a pregnancy ticker
Always missing our angels.
May 29th, 2010, 05:42 AM
Cheet_oh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Check her mouth for thrush, white spots, it's yeast and it could be part of the pain. As far as the nipple being injured, get some Lansinoh. It comes in a purple tube and it's AMAZING you can apply it to the nipple after each nursing session, etc and it's perfectly safe for baby. Also great for diaper rashes As far as the injured breast. Continue feeding her at night if it doesn't hurt and during the day, pump from that side and feed her the side she likes until you're healed (a day or two).

(Angela - 37) (Doug - 32)

(Steven - 20) (Sebastian - 18) (Mina - 13) (Ava - 4) (Aria - 1)

May 29th, 2010, 06:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree, sudden pain like that could be thrush. It can come on without any symptoms in mom or baby (besides the pain) so you may consider treating it even if she doesn't have the white spots. I'll copy/past some information and links I have saved on thrush and how to treat it.

I've used both gentian violet and grapefruit seed extract to treat thrush, and I've had good luck with both. Gentian violet is messy, but fast and effective (think, it's gone in a few days) and the Grapefruit seed extract was very effective, and it worked just a little slower. I also take a probiotic, like acidophilus, at the same time and continue taking it for a few weeks after I've stopped treatment. Wash everything in vinegar or boil it daily, to kill the yeast on anything that touches your breasts or your baby's mouth. You should treat your baby as if they do have it, because even without symptoms, they can pass it back to you (which is why so many moms have re-occuring thrush).

Gentian violet - you can get at many pharmacies, but they keep it behind the counter, so you'll have to ask for it. It does stain, although I got it out of our clothes with OxyClean or bleach for white items. kellymom.com ::

Grapefruit Seed Extract - I used the capsules, 3x a day for 10 days. I bought them at the local health food store. The other difference I found between these 2 remedies is that gentian violet was $2 and GFE was $15, so a big difference. kellymom.com ::

Probiotics - I get mine at Walmart or Target, and I get acidophilus. You can also get them at a health food store. Be sure to read the label, many of them need refrigerated. kellymom.com :: Q&A: Preventing Thrush

Several sites with really good information on how to treat thrush:
Could We Have Thrush?
Care For Candida - Yeast Infections or Thrush
kellymom.com :: Thrush Resources

Vinegar is supposed to be really effective on thrush, so I usually wash everything in apple cider vinegar until it's gone. You can do the same with liquid grapefruit seed extract. I've also been told that the sun will kill the yeast, so if you hang everything outside to dry, after you are done washing it, you can be sure you are getting rid of it. You'll also want to boil all pacifiers, bottle nipples, teething toys, anything that touches their mouth or your breast, for 20 minutes each day. It's a lot of work, but just think of it this way, after 3-4 days of this, and it should be gone and breastfeeding can get back on track.
May 29th, 2010, 07:56 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
my DD is a year old and for the last few months she has pinched and scratched at my nipples while feeding. I push her hands away, but sometimes I just do not have the energy. So maybe she really is pinching you? If not, I would look into the advice Andi suggested.

May 29th, 2010, 09:14 AM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
Maybe you're pg??
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5" ~ Grayson (10/16/13) 2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

May 29th, 2010, 03:15 PM
smileybrea's Avatar ♥ Proud Doula & CPST ♥
I would've guessed thrush as well or sensitivity from ovulation or upcoming period...or pregnancy

Did you know that 95% of children are not properly restrained in a vehicle?
Make sure your child is not one of them!

May 29th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Cheet_oh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow, totally spaced giving any other info about thrush Sorry it was late and I didn't have my head on right lol. Thanks andi!

(Angela - 37) (Doug - 32)

(Steven - 20) (Sebastian - 18) (Mina - 13) (Ava - 4) (Aria - 1)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search