Distracted!

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 29th, 2010, 11:13 PM
CrystalAnne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My curious almost 4 month old boy has become VERY VERY distracted. He will latch, nurse for 2 minutes, pop off and look around and laugh and stare at things in the room, even if it's a dark uninteresting room! ! ! Then he'll do it all over again. It's Driving. Me. Insane

How can I get him to focus? It doesn't matter how little distractions there are, he will even play with the breast if that's all there is to do.
May 30th, 2010, 02:23 AM
RobinJS's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I bought a mommy necklace and it seems to work alright. Other times I hold his hand or just wait it out and let him take longer to nurse.

Eli Gunnar 1.11.10

May 30th, 2010, 06:45 AM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
Its the age. I went through ( and am still going through) this with my 6 month old. For me, it only got worse. DS is the biggest pain in the butt to nurse lately, and just in the last few days, decides to bite down when he pulls himself off-wonderful! lol

Just try and keep the distractions around him, and i like the suggestion of a necklace, DS loves playing with my necklace while he nurses, but if the tv is on, or his sister is by him, he cant focus at all.
May 30th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ugh, I'm right there with you. My DD started the distracted nursing at about 4 months too and it's still going on (she'll be 6 months on the 3rd). I often have to mute the TV or sit in a quiet room to get her to nurse. She gets distracted by our cats, if my DH walks in the room, my voices around us if we're out in public . . . everything distracts her! She likes to play with my face while she nurses sometimes so I let her because that will keep her attention sometimes and other times I'll hold her hand or she'll play with my hand.

Good luck!

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here
May 30th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
Ive been there! Bailey was horrible. When this started she stopped STTN. It was horrible. She wanted to eat but was too distracted. Still every time my husband walks by or speaks she unlatches but it has gotten easier, she nurses fine at home but in public its all popping on and off.. I cant wait for this to end.

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
May 30th, 2010, 09:26 AM
CrystalAnne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well I'm glad I'm not the only one! Jacob stopped sttn as well and I am soooooooooooo sleeeeeeeeeeeepy. I feel really bad becuase I snapped at my 5 year old this morning for making noise when I was trying to get Jacob to nurse. he finally latched on and she came up and started talkign to him and that was the end of that! lol
May 30th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'd love to say that is does get better, but it really doesn't. The older they get, the more they are interested in the world around them. I find it's best to just go with the flow. I try to gently encourage Anna to keep nursing when she pops off and it doesn't stop her, but it does help. I keep myself distracted, by TV or the computer, so I don't feel like I'm tied down while nursing when she wont' even focus on it. I think you also need to figure out what works best for your child. Some will focus if they have something to play with like a nursing necklace. For us, I've just accepted the fact that she will be distracted and try not to get frustrated by it.

Expecting baby #4!

May 31st, 2010, 04:03 PM
Grey, you are the only other person I've heard mention the playing with the face! My little Hailey does that EVERY time she eats. Sometimes, minutes will go by before I notice because I'm getting so used to it. She grabs onto my bottom lip and sometime so hard that I have to PRY her off. My lip gets SOO chapped.

And yea, someone walks into the room, the volume on the tv changes, if I sneeze, you name it, and she un latches. Sometimes without opening her mouth so that REALLY hurts.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search