Is there a way to know....

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 30th, 2010, 07:24 PM
RuPaul-O-Saurus's Avatar Super Mommy
Basically I'm just wondering if it is possible to foretell problems with BF if your breasts haven't grown and don't seem to be producing milk yet? I do know this is something I should ask my MD about, but I was just curious about personal experiences. I have 4 weeks left in my pregnancy and other than my breasts being sore and a slight color change to my areolas at the beginning of my pregnancy, I've had no changes. This may be TMI (sorry) but today I noticed a light spot on one of my areolas and felt a tiny lump under this spot, which I do plan on asking my MD to look at when I go in this week, but I have read and heard that it could be part of the changes my body is making to get ready for milk production? I just feel like all the women who I've been around while they've been pregnant have had a noticeable difference in their breasts and had no problem breastfeeding and the few who have said they had little change have all had problems with low milk production or being able to breastfeed in general. Do these characteristics sound normal or is it more something that varies from person to person?? I'm sure it's blatantly obvious that this is my first pregnancy so any information about this would be greatly appreciated. I reeeeally really REALLY want to BF!!!

Kelly, you are amazing and I love you! Thank you for the awesomely cute siggy!
May 30th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Gray_baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had very little change in my boobs while pregnant, so I worried just like you are.

I started out an A cup and didn't get much bigger, if at all. I didn't notice colostrum until I was in my last month and only because I was checking to see if anything would come out! My milk came in 2 days after I had my DD and then I did see a big change - suddenly I felt like I had mountains growing off my chest and I wasn't prepared at all! I even have a few tiny stretch marks on each breast from the rapid growth. Once the engorgement went away though I went back down to almost my original size. I did have some supply issues in my first month of BFing but it wasn't due to my size, it was because I wasn't eating enough or feeding my DD often enough (she was a sleeper those first few weeks!).

Try not to stress out about it too much! I've been BFing my DD for 6 months now. Good luck!

VBAC - Get the FACTS <--- Click Here

Last edited by Gray_baby; May 30th, 2010 at 08:09 PM.
May 30th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I never had any breast changes during pregnancy (no soreness, nothing!) and never leaked at all. And everything worked out fine! I wasn't even sure anything was coming out the first couple of feeds and then the nurse showed me how to hand express and I was shocked! There hadn't been anything at all and within a few hours of delivery, there it was! We have now been nursing for 11 months, so all is well!

Expecting Baby #3, due September 9, 2014!

May 30th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
Sounds like me! My boobs never changed in size, with 3 full term pregnancies and with BFing.

During pregnancy I never leaked. NEVER. I could hand express colostrum ab mid way through w my 1st. Had no supply issues. And since then, 5 years ago, whether I am BFing or not I can express at least a few drops.

Bailey is almost 100% BFed, only get 1 bottle/day, as it is what she is used to from when I worked.

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
May 30th, 2010, 11:40 PM
Thank you ladies! That definitely puts my mind at ease. I feel like a lot of things have or will come to me with the whole pregnancy thing, but it's the things that don't come to me that start to freak me out! lol I'm glad to know that there are people who have experienced the same thing and it hasn't caused any problems.

May 31st, 2010, 06:41 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I had basically no changes during pregnancy, and even when my milk came in I only went up one cup size, from an A to a B. I'm still a small B right now, 6 months in. I have NO issues with supply, I make tons of milk it seems.

You're gonna be fine!! Good luck and hope to see you on here more.

Thanks to Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for this beautiful sig!

May 31st, 2010, 10:49 AM
RobinJS's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't have any breast changes either. I'm normally a B and after DS was born and I became engorged I went up to a C. I'm now pretty much the same as I was before. As for leaking while pregnant, with DD I leaked and with DS I didn't.

Eli Gunnar 1.11.10

May 31st, 2010, 12:22 PM
tela's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
add me to the club! i was a small B pre-pregnancy and never got any bigger. i never leaked a single drop either. i couldn't even hand express a drop of colostrum. my milk came in 5 days PP, and i've been BFing for 15+ months!!! i also returned to work FT at 8 weeks and pumped. no supplementing necessary at all. i'm actually down to an A cup now and still making plenty of milk for jacob. oh - and i never leaked a drop while BFing either. most women let down on the other side while feeding. it's ok if your body doesn't do that! convenient b/c i never had to wear nursing pads.
May 31st, 2010, 06:56 PM
smileybrea's Avatar ♥ Proud Doula & CPST ♥
Same here. Sore breasts were the first sign of pregnancy but only lasted a couple of days. I didn't increase in size and didn't leak at all. Braedon was 2 weeks past due and a couple days before I had him, I was able to squeeze colostrum out of one breast. My milk came in 4 days PP and that's when the changes started. I was already larger (D) and I went up 2 sizes and never had any supply issues. With my second, I had no soreness, no leaking, no nothing. My milk came in 3 days PP and still no change in my breasts other than being full and perky from the milk. I actually had over-supply with my second.

Did you know that 95% of children are not properly restrained in a vehicle?
Make sure your child is not one of them!

May 31st, 2010, 07:50 PM
As weird as it might sound, all the posts about peoples 'non' changes has actually got me excited! I was starting to get a little worried that I just wouldn't produce much, if any milk. Yay!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my body decides to work the same way as other peoples!! lol

May 31st, 2010, 08:20 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My breasts didnt' grow at all with my pregnancy. The only thing that changed was my aerolas got darker. My son is 6 weeks now and I'm nursing him. My breasts still haven't gotten any bigger with nursing.
June 1st, 2010, 01:35 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
My breasts didnt' grow at all with my pregnancy. The only thing that changed was my aerolas got darker. My son is 6 weeks now and I'm nursing him. My breasts still haven't gotten any bigger with nursing.
Same here. The first day my milk came in, my breasts were huge but they went back to my normal B cup and I have no problems with milk production.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search