Pumping and nursing newborn

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 31st, 2010, 10:11 AM
ElizabethS's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ok I breastfed both of my babies on demand and never once pumped with my son. With my daughter I had to start working when she was 12 mos and wanted to make it to 18 mos with breastfeeding, so I pumped while at work, and was able to keep her drinking breastmilk in sippy cups during the day, and off the breast at night for 2 mos, but then had to stop because we both got an infection and the doctor took too long to believe me that I had thrush and treat us both.

My question is, this time I am going back to work when the baby is 6 weeks old. When should I start pumping? When should I introduce the bottle? I don't want to confuse the baby, and want him to nurse off the breast at night and when I'm around, but he's going to be stuck with a bottle 12-14 hours a day while he's home with dad and I'm off at work. My daughter would NOT take a bottle for anything, so I don't want that happening this time.

My other question is, when should I start pumping? How much should I save up? How much will a 6 week old baby need per day and how often will I have to pump during the day at work? This is totally foreign to me because I've never pumped and breastfed such a small baby, only a 1 year old! So..I feel utterly and completely lost. I don't want to mess up my supply by pumping too early but don't want to wait too long and not have a good back up supply in the freezer for him. I want to do this right but feel utterly confused.

It was so much easier when I just popped the baby on the boob everytime he or she was hungry or crying. And my supply adjusted to their need. But now, everything is going to have to be on a schedule and its making my anxiety go through the roof and he's not even here yet!

Please help!

Momma to Alex (2005), Cadence, (2008), Ethan (2010), Brayden (2012), and Adrianna Elise due September 19th 2014

Stepmom to two (2006, and 2009).

May 31st, 2010, 10:52 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
here is some info about how much milk
kellymom.com :: How much expressed milk will my baby need?

i went back to work at 5 weeks, so i feel your pain I started pumping around three weeks. I would pump once in the morning and freeze it. I would pump the side DD did not nurse on. If you pump while she is nursing you will get even more milk and letdowns. As far as the bottle, we introduced the bottle around 3-4 weeks. You do not need to do it often and do not do it yourself and not when you are around

May 31st, 2010, 06:04 PM
smileybrea's Avatar ♥ Proud Doula & CPST ♥
I'd post this over in the pumping mommies board

Pumping Mommies - JustMommies Message Boards

My BFF is the co-host. She has 13 month old twins and has been exclusively pumping for them. They were born at 32wks and had not yet developed the sucking reflex so she had to start pumping. They have not had a single drop of formula!! I, personally, would start pumping right away because I would need to feel at ease for having enough milk in the freezer. I also wouldn't introduce a bottle until 3-4 weeks and it wouldn't have to be all the time..just a few times before going to work so LO knows what it is. I would also have DH give it to LO, not you. For pumping at work, you will need to duplicate the number of bottles LO has during the day to keep your supply up. I know Amy (my BFF) did power pumping at night to help with this and I *think* she pumped 3-4 times per day until they were older.

Did you know that 95% of children are not properly restrained in a vehicle?
Make sure your child is not one of them!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search