Nystatin and grapefruit seed extract

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 10th, 2010, 01:00 PM
ladybugmomma's Avatar Trisha
The DR presribed us Nystatin for thrush. To use twice a day on my nipple and once a day to Layla, who isn't showing signs of thrush. That was Thursday, today (sunday) I have no improvement. I bought GSE and acidioplus (sp?). I used the gse twice so far. Should I be using gse and nystatin? Why am I not seeing any improvement?
October 10th, 2010, 06:57 PM
ladybugmomma's Avatar Trisha
Anyone?
October 10th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've heard that Nystatin can be very slow acting, so it can take several days to see any improvement. With the GSE, you should see some improvement within the first 1-2 days. The acidophilus is just to help restore the balance in your system, so it won't have a dramatic impact on thrush, it just helps you get rid of it along with the other treatments (and can keep it away, so continue to take it once it's gone). If you have a really stubborn thrush, it doesn't hurt to overlap or double up on treatments. I would still give it another 2-3 days before coming to the conclusion that it is/isn't working though. I've only used GSE once, but I remember seeing an improvement in 1-2 days, so it shouldn't take long. Are you using the liquid GSE or capsules?

Expecting baby #4!

October 11th, 2010, 05:25 AM
*~Jen~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You might see if your doctor can get you an Rx for Diflucan. I'm taking that now and can finally for the first time with Leah nurse pain free (even with giant cracks in my nipples...). I never tried GSE though. I did GV and it would feel better while I was using it but it came back after I stopped. Maybe I didn't use it long enough (I did it for 5 days), but I really didn't like having everything in my house dyed purple!! I'm using Nystatin for Leah but she doesn't have any symptoms so it's more just to keep her from getting it.

Another thing my LC told me is pay attention to your diet. Stay away from sugars, dairy, and breads. They all feed the yeast and make it harder to get rid of. Which is probably part of my problem. I've cut back but I haven't stopped eating those things completely.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search