Night weening a 6 month old?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 1st, 2011, 08:05 PM
*~Jen~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The first thing I thought was ears!

My DD is getting over a double ear infection. She never ran a fever but I took her in to have her ears checked because she had a horrible cough and was very congested. Her nights before she started on AB's sound a lot like what you're describing. She would whimper and cry (fine during the day, other than the cough) but if I held her upright, she would be ok, but then would wake up as soon as I laid her down. Something about being in a horizontal position put more pressure on her ears making them hurt.

Last night I gave her Tylenol every 5-6 hours overnight and you could see her relax and she would fall back asleep easily within 10 minutes of getting it every time.

February 2nd, 2011, 09:47 AM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
After doing a lot of googling on ear infections, it does seem like a good possibility. Hopefully the pedi can shed some light on the problem when I take her in this afternoon. Last night was one of the worst nights ever. :-(

February 2nd, 2011, 05:17 PM
Well, we're back from the pedi and it wasn't great.

Juliana does not have an ear infection, nor does she have reflux. The Dr. shined a light on her tooth and I could see that it is very, very close to coming through. She said some kids are more bothered than others and obviously, we have one that is very bothered. The way to treat it is with ibuprofen, like we have been. In other words, no sleep for us for the next 6 months.

Apparently some kids are more sensitive to things in their diet then others, and she's also one of the extra sensitive ones. The pedi recommended vegetables over oatmeal because oatmeal has too many carbs.

I wish there was more I could do for her (and me).

The pedi then went on and on about how I need to teach her self-soothing techniques and stop co-sleeping, which kind of irritated me. Why would I stop co-sleeping when she needs comfort during the night more than ever?

February 3rd, 2011, 03:52 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
DD teethed on and off for 6+ months before getting her first tooth. I have been taking her to a Craniosacral therapist since she was about 12.5 months old and she has gotten 11 teeth and it has made it much easier. However, it is pricey and hard to find someone who treats babies (and is good). It should get easier. Teething is so cruel We have an amber necklace as well as homeopathic treatments. It does lead to A LOT of nighttime wakings though. Supposedly they are supposed to get 4 teeth every 4 months (according to the dr sear's book i think) so once the first 4 come thru, you should have a break. The second one should come in right behind the first.

also, you can try giving her a washcloth to chew on, and you can even dip the end in the water and freeze it.

February 3rd, 2011, 05:52 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I'm sorry she's so miserable with the teething! I agree with you that she is probably going to want more comfort now and forcing her to self-soothe right now is going to be miserable. I just conveniently not mention to my pedi that we co-sleep
February 3rd, 2011, 06:45 AM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, at least it isn't an ear infection? Poor baby though, teething is hard.

Yeah I haven't mentioned to our ped that we're cosleeping. I really don't care for his opinion on the matter, I pretty much know what he'd say, lol. I definitely love cosleeping when they need the extra love... not sure how I'd ever get sleep otherwise.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
February 3rd, 2011, 07:28 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
It may not be a continuous 6+ months of misery... sometimes teething comes and goes. My DD's first 2 teeth (bottom) came in pretty easily. Now she's working on the next 4 (top) and it hasn't been as easy. The first 3 of those 4 cut all last week and the last one is so close to being through. So some teeth are easier than others, but it's different for each baby. Good luck!

February 3rd, 2011, 12:15 PM
I'm hoping it's so hard because we're going to have 3 or 4 come through really soon, then we get some relief! Last night I was up from 1:50am-3:40 am rocking and cuddling her. She seemed so miserable! She drooled buckets all over me. And so much for night weening - she didn't even want to nurse when I offered. I don't even feel (very) sorry for myself being so tired when my poor baby is miserable.

February 3rd, 2011, 12:46 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Teething is very hard on them. And us. It will pass.

February 5th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jule'sMomInOR View Post

The pedi then went on and on about how I need to teach her self-soothing techniques and stop co-sleeping, which kind of irritated me. Why would I stop co-sleeping when she needs comfort during the night more than ever?
Well you are teaching her self soothing techniques. I dont remember where I read it but it was something to the effect that when you're spending time soothing your child you're teaching her that the world is safe, that she'll still be OK even though she's having a hard time right now.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
February 5th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluga View Post
Well you are teaching her self soothing techniques. I dont remember where I read it but it was something to the effect that when you're spending time soothing your child you're teaching her that the world is safe, that she'll still be OK even though she's having a hard time right now.
This pedi's office is big on self-soothing. Before she even listened to the whole description of what was going on, the pedi insisted she was waking up fussy because I'm nursing or rocking her to sleep and she wakes up wondering where I am. I was like "Um, no, we co-sleep so she wakes up and I'm right there." And then she went on about how DD should go in her own room and I should lay her down awake, and if I'm lucky, she might only cry for 10-15 minutes. It's so frustrating that this advice is being given by doctors. Then she said I'm making my bed now and when she's 3 or 4 I'm going to have to lay in it. So I guess if by making my bed, she means establishing a foundation of trust, then she's right.

February 6th, 2011, 03:09 AM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
This pedi's office is big on self-soothing. Before she even listened to the whole description of what was going on, the pedi insisted she was waking up fussy because I'm nursing or rocking her to sleep and she wakes up wondering where I am. I was like "Um, no, we co-sleep so she wakes up and I'm right there." And then she went on about how DD should go in her own room and I should lay her down awake, and if I'm lucky, she might only cry for 10-15 minutes. It's so frustrating that this advice is being given by doctors. Then she said I'm making my bed now and when she's 3 or 4 I'm going to have to lay in it. So I guess if by making my bed, she means establishing a foundation of trust, then she's right.
I've started just telling people that I don't care if she's still in my bed at 4 that I LIKE it. That usually shuts them up a little bit now. Gah. I hate that "advice" that everyone gives!

When Kate was a newborn (before 4 months) I couldn't put her down at all, she'd wake up *screaming* for me, panicking. At 4 months I started being able to leave her while she napped. And you know what? She would wake up and "call" me - not crying, just letting me know she was awake, and I'd go in to get her and she'd grin at me. Now at 8 months she wakes up from naps usually and doesn't even call me, she just sits up and plays with toys until I notice I hear her moving and go in to find her happy as a clam. The other night before I came to bed I heard her wake up, scoot around on her belly, whimper a few times and put herself back to sleep. So I'm at a loss to explain how she has gotten *progressively better* without me EVER letting her cry or forcing her to sleep alone all night. If I'm creating bad habits and dependencies wouldn't you think it would be getting WORSE?

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
February 7th, 2011, 01:50 AM
Quote:
I love the bolded part

It sucks that the doc's office keeps giving you crap advice. As for getting your LO out of your bed later, I can tell you how it went for us. I have the crib right next to the bed and once DD got bigger and started kicking me more (and hogging more of the bed) I started to transfer her there and she was fine with it. Now that we have #2 on the way I want her in a toddler bed so we got that for her. This child who had slept right next to us from birth was so excited about the toddler bed that she slept in it for a week straight once we got it. Since then (2ish months) she has been sleeping in it some nights and the crib other nights. I think she likes the big girl bed but wants mommy sometimes. I completely leave it up to her.

It is so annoying when someone tries to scare you that if you dont do something that your child will be stuck to you forever. Your daughter is lucky to have you as her mommy, you're doing a great job!

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
February 7th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Thanks. It's nice to hear from like-minded moms sometimes. Every now and then bad advice starts to make me doubt myself and I need to hear stuff like that to trust my parenting style.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search