my son is SOOO gassy!

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 3rd, 2011, 07:42 PM
horseradishmayo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
hi ladies! i haven't posted here in a LONG time. i nursed my daughter Sarah for 2 weeks shy of 3 years and now i am nursing my 11 day old son, Vincent.
this little guy is very gassy. he is an easy going baby in general but at night he has horrible gas and seems to be in so much pain. it's not EVERY night though. he spits up a little, but not much.
i am thinking it's related to what i am eating...i had a ton of edamame as a snack last night and he was miserable all night long. i don't eat dairy so i know that's not the culprit.
so i am going to start eliminating the typical gassy/sensitivity foods from my diet.
i'm block feeding him and his poops are yellow so i know he's getting plenty of hindmilk.
i'm also trying to hold him more upright during feedings and after.
if i drink ginger tea will that help settle his stomach at all?
do you have any other tips?
TIA!

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
use code JMMOMMY for free shipping in the US
February 3rd, 2011, 08:57 PM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Orion was really gassy at first as well, it has settled down. We finally just started giving him gripe water it helped a huge amount, the gas would come out and he would settle right down.

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook
February 4th, 2011, 04:45 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Yes, i would find a high quality gripe water to give him. Try burping him as much as possibly DURING feedings. I know for us, broccoli was the big offender early on. Their systems are very sensitive in those early weeks and months, but DD grew out of a lot of her sensitivities. Good luck!

February 4th, 2011, 08:31 AM
CA-mommy-to-be's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Try laying your son on his back and moving his legs in a bicycle motion. The curling up motion again the lower belly helped to make my DD's gassy stomach more comfortable for her. We also discovered that keeping her upright on a shoulder after burping helped to ease the situation.

It got a lot better after the first three weeks.

Welcomed daughter Miranda on December 18, 2013

Never doubt someone's passion. I'm a women engineer and proud of it!

February 4th, 2011, 02:19 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Definitely gripe water! The infant gas drops did nothing for Abri. I also had to get rid of broccoli. Those nights were agony if I ate even a little bit.
February 4th, 2011, 06:27 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
Kolbie was super gassy for the first few weeks too. We had to "fart her" by bicycling her legs and I had to really watch my caffeine intake. (Which I should have been doing anyway.....). But we also used Mylicon drops along with pumping her legs and holding her upright.
February 5th, 2011, 06:03 AM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
Watch the soy. That protein intolerance is just as common as dairy.

February 12th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Tobi Bateman's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Jacob is extremely gassy too. Usually he just farts a lot . . . and I mean A LOT. I swear this kid is constantly farting and you can hear and smell it from across the room (smells worse than our dog's farts!).

But then sometimes he gets his "farts stuck" - like he's really struggling to get the gas out. When he gets like that I use Mylicon drops (might have to try that gripe water, though) and I massage his tummy. He doesn't like the massage at first and typically tenses up, but after a couple minutes (especially if I do it while feeding him), he relaxes and can start passing gas.

February 12th, 2011, 09:02 PM
horseradishmayo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
thanks ladies. after much reading on kellymom, i think the main issue is my crazy over active letdown. he chokes on my milk and swallows air and is then really gassy...i am doing block feedings and it seems to be helping a lot.

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
use code JMMOMMY for free shipping in the US
February 13th, 2011, 05:06 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I hope that helps! Waleda (organic/ all natural brand) makes a baby tummy massage oil. I used that on DD as well in those early days

February 13th, 2011, 05:54 PM
twingirls52905's Avatar loving my new baby boy
Send a message via Yahoo to twingirls52905
My ds is extra gassy too. He toots alot and also just screams in pain sometimes. I hate him being in so much pain. We use mylicon drops when he seems to be in pain and the bicycle thing with his legs. I also hold him up on my shoulder/chest after feeding him. He also spits up alot. Neither are consistent, though. I dont eat much gassy foods I dont think so not sure what is causing it.

February 13th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Super Mommy
My DD was awful with all of that. Her ped recommended a probiotic called biogaia...MIRACLE WORKER!!

Thank you *Kiliki* For my Beautiful Siggi

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search