Struggling with BMs

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 4th, 2011, 09:56 AM
BigGrin's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My LO has been nursing like a champ but really struggles to have bowel movements. She strains, wriggles, grunts and even cries out in pain for about an hour before finally passing her BM. She is not constipated because she has the loose, mustard yellow stool of a breastfed baby.

I hate seeing her suffer like this and wonder if it is normal for her to struggle so much? Is there anything I can do to make it easier on her? She is on zantac for reflux and I give Gripe water when she gets real gassy.

I dropped a tear in the ocean, and whenever they find it Ill stop loving you, only then. ~Unknown
February 4th, 2011, 11:18 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
My DD had something called "grunting baby syndrome" where for the first couple months she seemed to really struggle and grunt and push a lot. It is just the baby trying to coordinate the muscles-- you have to relax some and tighten others, and some babies have a harder time than others and they grunt and try a lot. Maybe this is all it is?

February 4th, 2011, 02:16 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Stomach upset is one of the side effects of Zantac, but that's also an effect from the reflux. Is it helping with her pain? If not, you may want to look at a different prescription. We had good luck with prevacid but I also had to give her gripe water throughout the day for a few months.
February 6th, 2011, 04:30 PM
I looked up grunting baby syndrome and I definitely think that is what we are dealing with. Once she has her BM she immediately goes to sleep with relief.

Her zantac helped immensely with her reflux. I can change her without her screaming as if she is dying and she will let me put her down for tummy time and such.

I dropped a tear in the ocean, and whenever they find it Ill stop loving you, only then. ~Unknown
February 6th, 2011, 05:12 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Yeah, DD grunted 24/7 for like the first 6-8 weeks I think! It went on for a while. She even did it in her sleep.

February 6th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My daughter started to have some problems pooping and she was really uncomfy and farting up a storm. She would wake up from naps crying in pain, but as soon as she'd poop she was soooooo much better. If she goes more than 36 hours without pooping, we give her a 3-4 oz bottle of BM to get more substance in her and hopefully get her to poop. Most of the time it works, but a couple of times it hasn't. If she goes 48 hours without pooping then we gave her an oz or 2 of juice with some water and that has done the trick. If she was content without pooping, I wouldn't do it, but I felt so bad when she was uncomfy.
February 12th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Tobi Bateman's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We're going through the same thing and his pediatrician said basically the same thing. He's just still learning how to go. She said some babies will go after every feeding and others will go a week without then have one massive poop (Jacob's last one completely filled 2 diapers in about 15 minutes).

I actually haven't been so worried about the infrequency of it, but more because at times he'll go a day and a half screaming and writhing almost constantly because of the discomfort. I asked his pediatrician about suppositories (we had tried them a couple times and they did work within a few hours) and she said if he gets acting that uncomfortable, wait another day then it's okay to give him one.

February 13th, 2011, 12:11 PM
She goes constantly, almost after every feeding, so I know it's not constipation. She just really struggles to have a BM. Strangely enough she only behaves this way in the early morning hours, she'll squirm, fuss and basically be miserable until she passes stool.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search