how long..?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 4th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Veteran
So what age of the child so people usually stop breastfeeding? Also, how does the baby usually react to going straight from the breast to the bottle?
February 4th, 2011, 04:17 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Everyone breastfeeds for a different amount of time. Babies generally will not self wean before 18-24 months at the earliest. It is recommended by the WHO to breastfeed for two years. Every baby is different in regards to the bottle. Some babies have no issue, while others refuse. There are other feeding options out there such as a syringe and feeding cup. It is generally recommended not to introduce artificial nipples (bottles, pacifiers, etc) until 6 weeks or until the latch is well established.

please let us know if you have any other questions.

February 4th, 2011, 08:08 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yup what she said. Everyone - and every baby - is different.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
February 5th, 2011, 06:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
You usually don't have to transition straight from breast to bottle. Most who wean before a year already have introduced bottles and their baby takes them regularly. Thos who wean after a year usually go right to solid foods and taking liquids from a cup, which is also introduced slowly before that.

There isn't really a typical amoutn of time to breastfeed for. Some women do it for a few days or a few weeks, others continue for several months or years. Everyone does what works best for their situation or what they feel comfortable with.

February 5th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What's typical and what's best for baby are not the same. If you and your baby are comfortable with it, it's great it go 2 years or more even if you feel like you're the only one. I hope to make it to at least 18 months. I will stop pumping after a year though. I hate pumping!

February 5th, 2011, 01:41 PM
I think that instead of considering what others do you should consider what you want. Breastmilk does have benefits that will be good for a child of any age. On the other hand are you enjoying the breastfeeding relationship or not? If your question is because you like breastfeeding but are wondering how long you can keep it up then the answer is that there is no limit. If however your question is because you dont like it so much but feel that you ought you need to weight the pros and cons. Every day you breastfeed is a great gift to your child but your needs matter too.

Personally I havent weaned, I'm still nursing my toddler and planning to let her decide. Our nursing usually happens at home so if I wasnt open about the fact that we're still nursing no one would really know. It's just that when people ask me when I weaned that I like to tell the truth. No one has told me to my face but I wouldnt be surprised if many think I'm a weirdo.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
February 5th, 2011, 06:58 PM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jule'sMomInOR View Post
What's typical and what's best for baby are not the same. If you and your baby are comfortable with it, it's great it go 2 years or more even if you feel like you're the only one. I hope to make it to at least 18 months. I will stop pumping after a year though. I hate pumping!
ditto

February 7th, 2011, 05:27 AM
Veteran
Oh okay, thank you

This has given me a better understanding. I haven't yet, I'm still pregnant with my first. I'm going to wait until I do though, and decide then.
February 7th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithful1 View Post
Oh okay, thank you

This has given me a better understanding. I haven't yet, I'm still pregnant with my first. I'm going to wait until I do though, and decide then.
Sounds great. Just make short goals and see how it feels from there. I like the information in this article Breastfeeding Benefits: How They Add Up it gives you a positive view of what you and your LO gain depending on how long you've breastfed for. You can bookmark it and look at it later.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
February 7th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I stole this from a facebook group I belong to
If you breastfeed for a few days, your baby will have received your colostrum or early milk. Packed with optimal nutrition and antibodies, it helps get your baby's digestive system going and give him his first - and easiest - immunization.

If you breastfeed for four to six weeks, you will have eased him through the most critical part of his infancy. Breastfed newborns are much less likely to get sick or be hospitalized and have fewer digestive problems than artificially fed babies.

If you breastfeed for three or four months her digestive system will have matured a great deal and she will be much better able to tolerate the foreign substances in artificial baby milk.

If you breastfeed for six months, she will be much less likely to suffer an allergic reaction to artificial baby milk or other foods. A new study indicates that nursing for more than six months may greatly reduce the risk of childhood cancers as well.

If you breastfeed your baby for nine months, you will have seen him through the fastest and most important development of his life on the most valuable of all foods - your milk.

If you breastfeed your baby for a year you can avoid the expense of artificial baby milk. Many health benefits during this year of nursing will last her whole life. She will have a stronger immune system, less chance of childhood and adolescent obesity and will be much less likely to need orthodontia or speech therapy.

If you breastfeed your baby for eighteen months, you will have continued to provide the highest quality nutrition and superb protection against illness at a time when illness is common in other babies. The US Surgeon General says "It is the lucky baby that nurses to age two".

If you breastfeed your baby until he is ready to wean, you can feel confident you have met your baby's physical an emotional needs in the most natural, healthiest way possible. In cultures where there is no pressure to wean, children tend to nurse for at least two years. Mothers who have nursed for two or more years have a lower risk of developing breast cancer.

Don't worry that your child will nurse forever. All children wean eventually no matter what you do and there are more nursing toddlers around than you might guess.

Orion will nurse until he weans himself..

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search