Getting Crap at work :(

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 6th, 2011, 05:26 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
I work as a night nurse at a nearby hospital twice a week. One 8 hour shift, and one 12 hours shift. So naturally I have to pump. I've gotten a lot of support from my coworkers, but also a lot of grief.
When i first came back to work I was pumping in the break room. No one seemed to mind except this one woman. "We keep food back here! That's DISGUSTING!!" So she gave me the key to our boss's office, to pump in there. I was fine with that.. i didn't want to have to dodge her all the time. Then... the hospital remodel started and i couldn't go out in the hallway... so i pumped in the closet.... yikes. Then a woman told me we have a pumping room! I felt so dumb. So now i walk down to the pumping room in the maternity ward and use THEIR pump. They have symphony's for employee use. This were going pretty great.

Then I get pulled aside by one of my bosses saying that i can't keep my pumped milk in the fridge. She didn't mind as long as i hid it in a lunch box so no one knew it was there. GRRRRRRR....

Now here's the latest. I pump every 4 hours at work. Twice for an 8 hour shift, and 3 times for a 12. My coworker (who did indeed breastfeed) says "How many times are you going to go DO THAT?" When i explained that my son was still a frequent night nurser, she just said "Well I only pumped twice in a 12 hour shift. I don't understand why you can't do that." WHAT BUSINESS IS IT OF HERS, HOW MANY TIMES I PUMP! I still get all my work done! It apparently upset me enough that i foudn myself trying to figure out how to cut down to 2... which is rediculous.

How many times do you pump at work?

February 6th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I pumped twice in eight hours. I expect that attitude with some careers, but don't get it in a medical career. I'm shocked. One thing I really can't believe is that there is a problem with the milk being in the fridge. WHAT THE HELL? That's all I can say right now.

Loving my newest siggie from Dakota's Mom!

February 6th, 2011, 06:01 PM
JT_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I pumped 3X a day for the first 11 months, then 2x per day for the final month. I stopped pumping when my son turned one. Luckily, no one said anything, we have a great nursing mother's program at work and I worked with mostly men who were too scared to comment on how many times I went down there. And joked about my milk in the fridge - not putting it in their coffee.
February 6th, 2011, 06:08 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I pumped twice a day in my 4.5 hour shift!

February 6th, 2011, 06:23 PM
oh and is there an HR dept you can talk to about this? It sounds like harassment to me.

February 6th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Kathode's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Seriously? Medical staff find pumping and breastmilk disgusting? Shaking my head in disbelief. I think I would pop into the HR dept. and mention it, seems your coworkers need some sensitivity training. Oh, and maybe a brush up of their anatomy classes also....

February 6th, 2011, 06:59 PM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
I pump 3x a day at work (830-5, plus an hour each way commute, sometimes more). I think there is a law that breastmilk IS allowed in a common fridge?

February 6th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
What the heck-the milk has to be hidden in the fridge??? That's nuts!

When I EP for my oldest I was only able to pump 4x a day (well I suppose I could have done it more, but I was too lazy to get up and pump at night since he STTN). But I also pumped for 30-60 minutes at a time. The # of times you are pumping seems reasonable, I'm guessing you are only pumping for 15-20 minutes? As long as your work is getting done, I don't see why it should matter. Plus I'd rather a mom ask for pumping breaks than for people whowant smoking breaks!
February 6th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I pump 2-3 times during an 8-9 hour workday. Sorry you are faced with such insensitivity. If any field should be sympathetic and helpful to a pumping mama you would think it would be the medical field.

February 6th, 2011, 08:24 PM
meddleman's Avatar Loving my girls!!!!
Wow, my blood started boiling when I read your post!!! The lady thought it was disgusting to pump where they keep FOOD?!?! It IS food!!!!!! Does she think it is disgusting to feed to babies???? Ahhh! That makes me soo mad and I so would have said something to her.

Having to hide your milk is ridiculous. Like a PP mentioned, I would look into the laws in your state. I would NOT feel bad for pumping, and would definitely not cut down bc of a few ignorant people.

You know, I could fathom this kind of mentality from men (even though it is still WRONG) but from other women? In the health care profession? I'm shocked and disgusted.
February 6th, 2011, 09:20 PM
artisticmind's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
my employer was awesome about having a place for me to pump. only once did i pump in a bathroom and that was just because i work in a call center and it was holiday season and every desk/office was full and there was no other place to pump. i usually pumped once in the middle of a 4 hour shift and twice in an 8 hour shift. i always keep my expressed milk in my pump bag with cold packs since i typically only worked 4 hour shifts and had to keep it cool for the remaining 2 hours after i pumped.

here's a website based on NY breastfeeding laws and it just has a few
Your Breastfeeding Rights In New York | New York Civil Liberties Union (NYCLU) - American Civil Liberties Union of New York State

my guess is that your coworker saying something to you about it is a big no-no. and you have every right to tell her to MHOB. i don't know about storing it in a common fridge if there are any laws against it but I personally felt weirded out storing my viewable milk containers in the fridge at work just in case someone did something to them. i work with responsible adults as far as i know but that's the thing you never know. and from having a food safety handler's certification i can kind of see it from a safe food storage standpoint, what if it gets knocked over and leaks, it's technically a bodily fluid and it could contaminate other food items if spilled.

Baby Girl expected 2.12.13!

Annie :wife to JJ and mommy to Riley
missing our Feb. 2012
February 6th, 2011, 09:28 PM
ashley5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I pump every 3hrs 3x for a 9hr shift. Sorry your getting so much slack from co-workers, but stay strong and do what you need to for your baby. If I got crap from co-workers about pumping I'd have to ask them if their going to start buying formula for me then, b/c I dont want anything to happen to my supply if I cut back on pumping and then produced less b/c of it.
February 6th, 2011, 11:13 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow. I'm disgusted that people in a hospital have that kind of opinion and rudeness!

I pump once in my 6 hour shift. I always tried to pump as often as she ate, which was every 3 hours. Not that it was always possible, but that's what I aim for. I would certainly tell that woman to mind her own business.... what the heck man. First of all, she has bad info on pumping and doing it too infrequently can seriously impact milk supply. And secondly, every baby has their own rhythm. Some babies are fine going 4 hours between feeds. Mine always went 2-3. I want pumping to mimic her so my supply stays constant. Obviously she's clueless about all of that.

And milk in the fridge.... just.... gah. I do feel weird sometimes putting my freshly pumped milk in there, but yeah, it's my baby's food. It goes in the fridge. People need to get over it, jeez.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
February 7th, 2011, 07:03 AM
nurselochia's Avatar Marathon running mom of 4
Wow. Sometimes people can be so inconsiderate. I remember when I worked a different unit that I would find myself pumping in the bathroom, storeroom closet and even sitting on the floor of an empty patient room b/c I had no idea there was a lactation room up in OB. It made some people look twice when I'd put my bmilk in the fridge, but no one ever suggested "hiding" it. I try to pump 2 times during my 8 hour shift and 3 times during my 12 hour shift. Don't let them discourage you...you know how much you need to pump for your baby.

Thanks Jaidynsmum!!

February 7th, 2011, 08:36 AM
..Penelope..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry, Alice. That is such crap!

Once I go back to work, I will be pumping twice in an 8 hour day. I am planning on storing it in a cute lunch bag along with my pump pieces and putting it in the common fridge. If anyone has a problem with my pumping or the breastmilk in the fridge, they will just have to deal with it.

Missing our angel baby since Feb 7, 2009

Visit
BeaMade for unique, adorable, high quality handmade crochet hats and booties, velcro free soother clips and soft sole baby boots.
February 7th, 2011, 09:05 AM
tela's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i pumped for the entire 1st year (and still BF but stopped pumping when jacob turned 1). i was away 10 hours, 5 days/week. i pumped 3x/day, sometimes 2x. it was a constant struggle to produce enough and fit pumping into my workday. i always stored my bag of parts and my milk in the minifridge outside my boss' office. he made a joke about it once, but i had no problem whatsoever putting my baby's FOOD in there right next to my co-workers' lunches.
February 7th, 2011, 05:58 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
I guess someone called employee health, and infection control and asked questions. That's where it came out that i wasnt supposed to use the employee fridge. Which is why my boss suggested i just hide it, becuase she doesn't care.

I think the person who complained is the same girl who said it was disgusting. And really she is disgusting. She is mean and miseralbe to everyone... its just how she is. I really don't worry about her to much, because if its not one thing, its another.

I'm trying not to let the other woman bother me. She just intimidates me for some reason. She's originally from Italy and doesn't mind letting you know exaclty what she thinks. I really would rather not cause a fuss. She's not preventing me from going... its just annoying. This si the second time she's asked me this.

Everyone else at work thinks its great, and it doesn't bother them at all. In fact, whenever they see my "bag of stuff" they reminise and say, "oh i loved nursing".

It makes me feel better that most of you pump even more often than i do. There really is no reason for me to cut down. At least not until Teddy sleeps longer stretches at night. Right now he eats every 3-4 hours during the night, and thats how often i pump.

February 7th, 2011, 07:11 PM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
I knew I read it somewhere... not sure if this was originally where, or where the "official" policies are but...

Quote:
Expressed milk can be kept in a common refrigerator at the workplace or in a day care center. The US Centers for Disease Control and the US Occupational Safety and Health Administration agree that human milk is not among the body fluids that require special handling or storage in a separate container.
Milk Storage Guidelines

February 7th, 2011, 09:36 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well it sucks that she is so miserable! I'm glad the others seem to be understanding and supportive. Who your coworkers are makes such a big difference in all of this... breastfeeding, pumping, motherhood, working. It's such a kick in the pants when you get stuck with a buttmunch of a coworker.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
February 8th, 2011, 05:23 AM
Wow. that woman sucks. I would just keep reporting her comments to HR.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search