Weaning 5 month old due to poor weight gain

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 8th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is NOT for me (my 6 month old is almost 20 lbs and blowing away the charts, LOL) but my nanny mentioned that her sister is about to wean her 5 month-old niece because she's not gaining enough weight. Her sister has also had mastitis several times and mostly just nurses on one side. Should I just stay out of this and let her do what she thinks is right, or are there some really good links I could possibly send that could help her? I suggested she attend a LLL meeting, but it's not for 2 more weeks.

February 8th, 2011, 11:13 AM
tela's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
if she and the pedi are very concerned, she could supplement with formula. i don't see how a complete switch would be a quick fix to the problem, unless she personally can't handle the recurrent mastitis. i don't know if she pumps, but pumping in between feedings could help the masitits and build up a bit more BM to supplement with. in the end, i think it's a very personal decision. my baby was TINY. he was always in the 1% for weight. but he kept gaining, slow and steady, on his little 1% growth curve. my pedi was never concerned. i'm still BFing, and he'll be 2 this month! oh, and he's only 22-23 lbs, yep at 2 y/o!
February 8th, 2011, 12:52 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
There are different weight gain charts for bf babies vs formula fed babies, would that help? As long as the baby is growing and hitting milestones, they should not worry. DD just broke 20lbs at 20 months, she was 15.5 at 1 year old.

February 8th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm78 View Post
There are different weight gain charts for bf babies vs formula fed babies, would that help? As long as the baby is growing and hitting milestones, they should not worry. DD just broke 20lbs at 20 months, she was 15.5 at 1 year old.
Wow, my daughter is really huge! LOL. I can't believe my 6 month-old weighs almost as much as your 20 month-old.

February 8th, 2011, 03:54 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jule'sMomInOR View Post
Wow, my daughter is really huge! LOL. I can't believe my 6 month-old weighs almost as much as your 20 month-old.
My friend's son passed Zoe's weight when he was 3 months old and she was one year. She is a peanut. But some babies are just peanuts.

February 8th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Hazel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would ask if she wants help--if yes, then by all means provide information

My first son was (and still is) very slim and his first ped tried to scare me into weaning him very very young and putting him on formula. But he was small, not ill. He was incredibly healthy and active and hitting his milestones. If he had had some other kind of problem, I would have been concerned but I didn't think making him gain weight just for the sake of gaining weight made sense, especially with all the concern about childhood obesity and such :\ I switched peds and found one that had been working with breastfed babies for many years and she thought my little guy was great An experienced ped may find that lil baby is doing just fine. BTW--my second son is a chunker and is also breastfed. And his ped as a baby was trying to push formula as better So whether you are at the small end or the big end, some peds are just all about the formula! (No, we did not stay with that one I miss the experienced ped but she's in another state now )

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search