Camping Out

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 9th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Lala78's Avatar Super Mommy
My DD has been on the boob for the last 40 minutes. She's sleeping but using the boob as a pacifier. Do you let your LO do this? I don't mind at all. Usually if she's on there for more than 10 minutes I switch her sides. That way she's getting milk and will usually stop nursing when she realizes there's actually milk there and not just something to suck on. This time I just left her on though. So am I setting her up for bad habits? She doesn't always fall asleep at the breast, but what will happen when she has to take a bottle at daycare? She'll just stop sucking I suppose! We don't have to worry about that for a few months though. Just wondering if you let your LO camp?

[url=http://lilypie.com]
February 9th, 2011, 10:43 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I let DD camp out and when DH was out of work and watching her, she never camped out on the bottle, LOL. Only recently have I cut back on the nighttime camping out on the boob, but let her do it during the day. All babies have a strong need to suck and this is one place they get it. I was assured though, by the LLL, that it dies down around 2yo, LOL.

February 9th, 2011, 10:54 AM
ashley5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yep I let Ava camp out also, and she has never had a problem taking a bottle fast:] She normally passes out on the boob so durin the night time I take her off after awhile and put her to bed.
February 9th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Ana will do this also. i let her. sometimes its 30 mins, sometimes up to an hour. at night she nurses back to sleep quickly, in about 10-15 mins and im able to lay her back down. Most of the camping out happens during times when she's fussy or fighting sleep. it seems to be comforting and i have the time since she's my only child so i hope that is a good decision
February 9th, 2011, 03:30 PM
It was the only way I could get DD to take naps for few months. I've always let her comfort nurse on the boob. I think it did wonders for my supply and I enjoy the excuse to sit around just a bit longer on my butt instead of having to chase her around .

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
February 9th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Unless the kiddo is sick, nope. Most of the time there is something else/someone else that needs tending to. I try not to create habits that will be hard to break later on.
February 9th, 2011, 08:43 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I did because it seemed to be the only time she wasn't screaming for the first few months. She doesn't do it too often now- she wants to go play during the day or roll over and go to sleep at night.
February 9th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If he wants to I let him.. Though sometimes he gets angry that he is still getting milk when he doesn't want any so he will keep popping on and off until I give him a soother.. Strange little baby..

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook
February 10th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Super Mommy
Oh yes, DD camped a lot during her first year. Often it was the only way to get her to nap at all and I got really good at typing and photo editing one-handed. If you have the time, enjoy it! She hardly ever does it now and I never felt like it was a habit I had to consciously break, she just grew out of it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search