Question about a pump

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 11th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Ashl3y
I am planning on breastfeeding our daughter when she comes but I just had a question about a pump. I want to get one that is good enough for my needs, but I do not want to get one that is more than I need, because I don't want to spend more money than I have to.

I will be working from home so I don't need to pump for that. The only reason I will pump is if she's alone with Daddy for an extended time, or if she spends the night at grandparents house, or things like that. So I definitely won't be someone who pumps 4-6 times a day, every single day.

Everyone recommends the Medela, but is that REALLY necessary for what I will be needing? Some brand names would be great to look into, also manual vs. electric. Thanks ladies!
February 11th, 2011, 10:44 PM
meddleman's Avatar Loving my girls!!!!
I would go with a Medela. Don't forget, you can use them with future babies, too. You never know when you may need to pump to increase supply, etc, even if you think you won't be pumping much!

I am a SAHM, and I bought a Medela Swing with DD#1. I highly recommend it! I didn't go with a double bc I wasn't working, and it was perfect for my needs!
February 12th, 2011, 04:12 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I bought a used Medela PIS and it is the best. It was $60. Also look into your health insurance, they may cover all or some of a pump. I had no luck with the Medela manual. I actually have no luck single pumping, my boobs are high maintenance and need double pumping to really get letdowns, LOL.

February 12th, 2011, 06:36 AM
Ducky's mama
I bought an Evenflo Comfort Select single electric pump, but within a couple months of use, I realised it wasn't as effective at emptying my breasts as the medela pump in the hospital was (d'huh ) and so I bought a used Medela PIS andhave had better success. My milk likes to play "hard to get" though. I would seriously recommend a Medela if you can swing the cost, definitely worth it!

Thank you Thank you Thank you to Alethia for my awesome siggy!

February 12th, 2011, 08:33 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I bought the Ameda Purely Yours brand new, and it was $150. It is a double electric, can also be used in single electric mode if you want to feed on one side and pump on the other, and works wonderfully. It was highly recommended by some of the women on this board, and I would recommend it to anyone. For the first 6 1/2 months of Claire's life I pumped only occasionally, and it was great for that. Now I pump 3x/day, and it is great for that, too!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

February 12th, 2011, 09:51 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
I have a double electric Medela Pump In Style Advanced since I work full time and I'm pretty happy with it. If I didn't work I think I'd get a single electric. When I'm at home if I'm pumping to go out I usually only pump one side (my DD also only nurses one side a feeding). I have a manual pump also the hospital gave me for free but I prefer the electric.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search