I need help

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 12th, 2011, 08:07 PM
greeneyes's Avatar <-- Just do it.
My youngest will be seven weeks on Tuesday and right now we are nursing on demand. Problem is, she never really wants to eat. She was born 9lbs, 15oz and didn't hit her birth again until a month later.

Right now she is sleeping through the night 10+ hours and sleeps the majority of the day. I have to wake her up in the mornings and throughout the day to nurse. Her weight gain has been slow (I don't know what she weighs at the moment, I take her in for a re-check on Tuesday) and I don't know what to do to make this kid eat. My milk is great, I've got a good supply but all she wants to do is sleep. She is very lazy and sleepy at the breast, even when I strip her down.

I don't know what to do to get this baby to eat more and I don't want her pediatrician to start pushing for supplementing when I know that isn't the problem. Should I pump and bottle feed her? When will this sleepy newborn stage end?

February 12th, 2011, 08:37 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
Teddy was super sleepy. I really had to shake him up to make eat. It made me so nervous. Luckily its something he just outgrew, but it took a long time. I don't really have any advice other than, it will end.

February 12th, 2011, 08:45 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
have you tried to dream feed her. Sometimes that would work for Teddy... but then again sometimes not.

February 12th, 2011, 09:26 PM
MOI's Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I remember with my first I sometimes had to lay a damp washcloth of her forehead to keep her up.

February 13th, 2011, 03:06 AM
bittersweet's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOI's Mommy View Post
I remember with my first I sometimes had to lay a damp washcloth of her forehead to keep her up.
I was thinking something along these lines. I guess it is a fine line between keeping her awake, but not making her upset and angry. Mad babies don't feed well either.

Jenna was only like this for a day or two, then she was wide awake most of the day. I don't have any first hand experience. I'd think your other girls would be enough to keep Charlotte awake

Another thought...
Maybe since she was born such a substantial baby, her body doesn't get frequent hungry signals and is using some of her reserves instead of telling her to wake and eat every 2 hrs. I bet since she hasn't gained much and is almost 2 months, her body will start to feel the need to wake and eat very soon. Just a thought.

February 13th, 2011, 03:57 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I would just keep offering the breast as often as you can and try some of the suggestions other women had.

kellymom.com :: Help -- My Baby Won't Nurse!

You can always pump and spoon feed or syringe feed the baby.

February 13th, 2011, 06:44 AM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
She's not jaundiced right? I'm sure you would notice that... but that w as one of my first thoughts, despite her being 7 weeks. I agree with the dream feeding too. Lily was impossible to wake up but that was only the first week and that was probably b/c I was also on some pain pills. I saw elsewhere you said she's nursing like 30 min/side when she does eat. Lily always, even now, is 5-10 minutes on one side and then she was done... and that was every couple hours, then every 4 hours, etc. I think if she's nursing for that long (actively eating and not just comfort nursing) then she's probably good. and like you also said... with plenty of wet diapers, I would try not to be too concerned.

Hopefully you'll go in Tuesday and she'll have gained an amount that makes you comfortable and put your worry to rest. No matter what though, remember that you havea good supply and don't let your doctor talk you into FFing if that's not what you want to do!

February 13th, 2011, 11:51 AM
She's definitely not jaundice though we are getting over a four week bout with thrush. We're just now starting to get over it, it hasn't seem to bother her but good god did it hurt me. I've been using a nipple shield because without it I thought I would pass out from the burning pain.

Hopefully her weight check on Tuesday will go well and I can relax.

February 13th, 2011, 05:45 PM
twingirls52905's Avatar loving my new baby boy
Send a message via Yahoo to twingirls52905
I dont really have any advice but wanted to say that your dd and my ds were born the same day. Eli will be 7 weeks on Tuesday as well. I am totally jealous that she's sleeping thru the night. Eli isnt, he wakes every 3-4 hours. Last night was the longest he went and he went almost 5.5 hours, I was so excited! I'm hoping he'll start to stretch them out now!

February 15th, 2011, 08:44 AM
Just got back from Baby Char's weight check and it went awesome. Her weight gain was above average and I am so relieved!

February 15th, 2011, 09:13 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
that is great news

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search