Can you nurse too often????

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 31st, 2005, 06:56 PM
JustBecca's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to JustBecca
Okay this sounds so stupid to me but I might be wrong. Gabriel was born on the March 24th. He weighed 5 lbs 12 oz. We left the hospital 24 hours later (I can't stand hospitals and I wanted to be home) he was at 5 lbs 11oz. We went to the doctors on Monday and he was at 6lbs 1 oz. He had gained 6 oz in 4 days. I thought that was great. But than his doctor told me that I was nursing him too often. He said it takes me a good two hours for me to get a full supply of my breastmilk back so if I am nursing him sometimes every 45 minutes that is too often. I looked at him and said whatever. I thought that babies nursed on demand. And he is very demanding. He even questioned if I had even gotten my milk in yet. I am just brushing it off as he is stupid and I am doing the right thing. Sometimes Gabriel will wait 2 hours but most of the time it is much sooner than that. Should I continue with the way I am doing? Or am I really nursing too often? Thanks Rebecca

Thank you ~* Helen *~ for the best all about me siggie! You are absolutely fabulous!
March 31st, 2005, 08:22 PM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to Ana_and_Gage's_Mommy
Find a new Ped ASAP is my advice, sounds like yours is not very PRO breastfeeding, or at least not educated on breastfeeding in the least, many many peds are not.

With that said ignor his advice, if your son wants to nurse, then nurse him, he knows what he is doing. Babies tummies are little as it is and many nurse every 90 minutes, with a small baby like yours his stomache is likely even smaller, hence the needing to eat less milk more often. Trust your baby to be your guide and trust you instincts. YOur body is constantly making milk, if your baby is emptying your breasts every 45 minutes, you body will compensate by making more milk at a quicker rate. The less milk in your breasts the higher in fat content it is and the quicker you make more, the more milk in your breasts the less fat content it has and the slower you make more.

You are right to question the peds advice, you know best mom, keep up the GREAT work!!!

Cyndee

March 31st, 2005, 09:40 PM
LuckyGirlx4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Once again, I agree with Cyndee 100%!!! Get a new Ped!!!

Corbin ate every hour on the hour until he was 4 months old! He got huge and lucsiously fat (he's beautiful) and perfectly healthy! My Ped. is very Pro Breastfeeding (and we go to oneo f the leading Hospitals in our area), and he says to bf on cue also. Good luck and congrats!!!!

</div>
March 31st, 2005, 11:08 PM
mamasboys0204's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to mamasboys0204
yeah early on they eat a lot! my son gained weight really fast also! i have always breastfed on demand... pretty much if you dont your supply will drop! i would get a new ped!! good luck hun and happy nursing!
xoxo, Tiffany

April 1st, 2005, 05:49 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
I agree with the others. Your ped doesn't know what he's talking about. I had this same problem with Jeremy. He nursed a lot. Sometimes every half hour or hour. My good friend who was breastfeeding was the one that helped me. She basically said any time he fusses give him a b**b so I did. LOL. Then the doctor started giving me a hard time about it saying he was grazing and I was nursing too much. If I had not had the support of my friend and my sister I would have probably listened to my doctor. My son was very healthy and we had no problems breastfeeding. You can't nurse too much, imo.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
April 2nd, 2005, 01:59 PM
magilatuzzi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to magilatuzzi
My middle boy was a constant nurser too! The only thing my dr said was to make sure that if he was not nursing for long period of times to alternate each breast each feeding. (one breast now, one next time) to make sure he was getting enough of the fattier milk. He did beautifully!

DS Drew, 04/94, DS Braden, 10/97, DS Nick, 07/99, DD Danika 07/06, DD Gabriella 11/07,
DSD Rayelle 03/97, DSD Seryna, 06/01
</div>
April 4th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Regular
Send a message via AIM to jmomtwo3
I second what everyone else said!!!! Babies nurse for lots of reasons!!! Including:hunger, comfort, security, closeness, etc. Also, your baby could be going through a growth spurt and needs to nurse more often to increase your supply. My son is a very healthy 9 lbs at 2 months from 6lb 1 oz at birth and he consistently nursed every hour for almost a month! Feed him when he wants....follow his cues, not the docs .

Jessica

Jesse(27) ~n~ Josh(29)
Lenae~7
Joshy~5
Nicholas~3
Gabriel~10/3/07

April 4th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Right, baby knows what he needs! And don't forget babies will nurse even more often to build up your supply if they are going to be needing it for a growth spurt. It's shocking to me how little Doctors are taught about Breastfeeding!

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
April 4th, 2005, 02:08 PM
JustBecca's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to JustBecca
I am so thankful to all of you for youe support. I nurse him when he wants. I don't really check to see how long it has been. Other than this breastfeeding thing, my kids ped. is a very great doctor. I am very picking because of the other two having so many health issues that I am not going to give him up. I am just not going to bring up breastfeeding with him. If he trys to say something I will tell him that I really don't care what he says I am going to do what my son wants not what the Dr thinks is "normal". I found a breastfeeding class through my local WIC office and they also are going to give me the numbers for local resources to help me out with breastfeeding if I need it. Thanks again for all of your support. Rebecca

Thank you ~* Helen *~ for the best all about me siggie! You are absolutely fabulous!
April 4th, 2005, 04:13 PM
LuckyGirlx4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally posted by beccaak@Apr 4 2005, 02:08 PM
I am so thankful to all of you for youe support.* I nurse him when he wants.* I don't really check to see how long it has been.* Other than this breastfeeding thing, my kids ped. is a very great doctor.* I am very picking because of the other two having so many health issues that I am not going to give him up.* I am just not going to bring up breastfeeding with him.* If he trys to say something I will tell him that I really don't care what he says I am going to do what my son wants not what the Dr thinks is "normal".* I found a breastfeeding class through my local WIC office and they also are going to give me the numbers for local resources to help me out with breastfeeding if I need it.* Thanks again for all of your support.* Rebecca
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

Good idea! I have the same thing with my Ped.- I'm blessed that he is pro-breastfeeding, but if he wasn't, I wouldn't be able to leave him because he's too good at everything else, lol. I'm glad you're able to find such great advice and support here. Oncea again ((((((((((((boardies)))))))))))

</div>
April 12th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I also agree with the other ladies.. you can never feed to often. Your babies now when they are hungry... I fed my ds every hour for a long time

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search