Overeating

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 25th, 2011, 09:48 AM
HeatherW's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm Heather. I just had my son Carter on Feb 9th. Nursing is going fantastic, milk supply is great, etc... etc...

However, I think he's overeating. He uses me as his pacifier and won't take one so a lot of time if he's upset he nurses even if he's not hungry. (I can totally tell the difference). Anyways, he eats and eats and eats and then throws it all back up. He only does it when he's comfort nursing, if he nurses just when hungry he doesn't spit it up.

He's growing and gaining, so he's getting what he needs. I guess its really not that big of a deal, I don't mind nursing him whenever he needs me, its just frustrating to see him spit up that much breast milk.

Has anyone else ever had this problem?? Was there anything you could do about it?

February 25th, 2011, 09:57 AM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
Caleb used me as a paci for about the first 4-5 months, and then he started cutting way back. He rarely spit up, though. Hmm... I don't really know what advice to give! I've always heard that newborns can't overeat. But I totally know about comfort sucking, so I don't know if that's really true or not. LoL

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
February 25th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Well my daughter was FF and she totally overate. They put her on acid reflux medicine and everything but when I cut back her intake by an ounce the spitting up stopped.

I had a cousin give her son 8 oz of formula at 3 weeks old and he drank the whole thing... every 3 hours? That seemed excessive to me. Maybe he does have acid reflux or something? I dunno... my other 2 bf babies didn't spit up like this.

February 25th, 2011, 11:51 AM
BigGrin's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My LO was throwing up her feeds for the first 2 weeks and it ended up being reflux. She also nursed and nursed but later on I wondered if maybe it was to soothe her throat from the reflux. Since she was put on her zantac she is doing much better and rarely throws up her feeds. She may spit up a little but no where near what she was tossing up before. HTH.

I dropped a tear in the ocean, and whenever they find it I’ll stop loving you, only then. ~Unknown
February 25th, 2011, 01:41 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
DD did that a handful of times. Also, when you first have your baby you are more likely to have a little bit of an oversupply, so they are more likely to get too much milk. DD always (and still does....) use me as a pacifier. If your LO is sleeping, you can gently try to unlatch them and get them off the breast.

February 25th, 2011, 01:52 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
My dd2 did it all the time. She had severe reflux and nursed all the time because the milk soothed her throat. She would projectile vomit all the time, not just the comfort nursing sessions. I would give it a little time to get your supply evened out. Even the spitting up doesn't bother him I would just let him comfort nurse.
February 25th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Hazel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My first son spit up whenever he comfort nursed--I have a really overactive letdown and it took very little to make me shoot milk across the room Poor little guy couldn't comfort nurse without getting a ton of milk :\ We eventually did need to introduce a paci to him because the excess milk was also making him gassy and unhappy. He hated that paci, though, and would suck furiously at it until the need to suck passed and then throw it LOL When he outgrew the need to suck on stuff, he crawled around our house, gathered up all the pacis, and then threw them in the trash My MIL kept buying him more and as soon as she'd turn her back, he'd throw them at her (he had excellent aim, too). It still took about a week for her to accept he didn't want them anymore!

My second little guy only really spit up during growth spurts--he felt he HAD to nurse and then would just overflow and spit out the extra. Heh. Growth spurts meant sleeping on towels so he wouldn't spit milk all over our bed at night.......
February 26th, 2011, 07:19 AM
wildchihuahua's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mine would do this sometimes too. I encouraged him to take the paci once we were established. It took a little while before he would take the paci, but now it works well. He only gets it when he's upset but can't keep his hands in his mouth or when I can't hold him him (like in the car). He also took a while to transition to the bottle for my return to work, but after two weeks he's finally doing that at daycare (still won't take it from DH).

February 27th, 2011, 05:56 AM
provosto's Avatar Mommy to Arden!
My little one was born on the 7th and she does the exact same thing. The first time she puked I started to get nervous that I was going to have to change my diet a bit but fortunately it only happened the one time...and then again a few days later...and then just larger amounts of spit up since then. I definitely think it has to do with overeating though because she only does it once I think she's probably done but she wants to continue to suck so I let her...and then it all comes back up again. She usually wants to eat again within 30 minutes to an hour of puking or spitting it back up.
February 28th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the advice ladies!! He's been wanting to nurse a lot lately b/c of his 2 week growth spurt, I think thats over now though so hopefully his spitting up will calm down?

I can get him to take his paci, but never for long and he sucks on it like he's mad. He even makes little "er, er, er" noises as he does it with his little brow furrowed. 99% of the time when he gets sleepy he spits it out before falling asleep and purses his lips and refuses to take it back.

February 28th, 2011, 12:19 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
My son did this, and finally at 5 months, its starting to stop. If i know he's full, but he wants to nurse to go to sleep, i'll cuddle him in a breasfeeding position and give him a paci. He wouldn't take it before, but now he likes it. Less spitting up.

}

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search