New Here - Help Needed Please!

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 25th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm Jennifer, and just gave birth to my daughter, Kennedy last weekend. We had an amazing water birth and she nursed immediately after. She had to be transferred to the NICU and was diagnosed with Down Syndrome and a congenital heart defect. Long story short, I was constantly battling the nurses and the doctors. They wanted me to supplement, they wanted a feeding tube, etc. I finally realized that if I wanted to get out of there, I needed some sort of compromise, so I started pumping and giving her a bottle so they knew exactly how much she was getting.

Now we are home. I'm trying to get her back to nursing, and I'm having a hard time. I was pumping so much in the hospital that now my supply seems like it's out of control. I am trying to cut back on pumping and increase the amount of time she spends at the breast. She's nursing well when she latches, but I'm having a hard time transitioning her back. My Doula and Midwife have been a huge help, but now I've run into this massive supply issue and don't want to bother them at this hour!

I just pumped 2 ounces from each breast in 8 minutes, and I still feel like my breasts are so full. It is so painful. I have no idea what to do to help this. Or if anyone has any suggestions for transitioning her back to the breast - that would be appreciated as well.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
February 26th, 2011, 04:06 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
hi Jen! I am so surprised the hospital gave her a bottle and not a syringe to supplement her with the pumped milk Shame on them. Anyways, never give her a bottle (for now) and if you need to give her pumped milk, then give it to her with a syringe, a spoon or a feeding cup. If your breasts are too full, just try hand expressing them to reduce the pain/uncomfortableness. Pumping will keep signaling your body to make more milk. It is not uncommon for women to have an oversupply early on.

I hope this helps and you can transition her back smoothly. Please do not hesitate to post any other questions you have here

February 26th, 2011, 04:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm78 View Post
hi Jen! I am so surprised the hospital gave her a bottle and not a syringe to supplement her with the pumped milk Shame on them. Anyways, never give her a bottle (for now) and if you need to give her pumped milk, then give it to her with a syringe, a spoon or a feeding cup. If your breasts are too full, just try hand expressing them to reduce the pain/uncomfortableness. Pumping will keep signaling your body to make more milk. It is not uncommon for women to have an oversupply early on.

I hope this helps and you can transition her back smoothly. Please do not hesitate to post any other questions you have here
I can't even tell you how many times I asked for a syringe - they told me it was "against their policies." The whole situation was horrendous.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
February 26th, 2011, 04:34 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
that is horrendous. I would write them a letter of complaint. my hospital system is very pro bfing and will NOT give babies bottles or pacifiers. my friend delivered in a different hospital system and within less than 24 hours they gave her baby a paci, and supplemented with formula in a bottle. and she struggled to bf after that. it is just ridiculous how anti bfing some hospitals and providers can be!!

Anyways, every baby has a need to suck, and if you make your breast the only place to get that need, it will get better. a feeding cup is basically like the size of a shot glass, if you wanted to try that instead of a spoon or syringe.

March 3rd, 2011, 11:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry they did the Jen - that's awful. We had the whole nicu wanting to know how much Anabela was getting before they let us leave - but we weighted her before and after. (annoying - but WAY better than a bottle)
I totally over pumped - and had big time engorgement issues. My boobs were so hard she couldn't latch and then the let down would overwhelm her.
So what my midwives and the LC told me to do was pump first just to soften my breasts and get the initial let down, then nurse her and then pump until I was comfortable. (not empty though). From what I learned - it's the number of times you nurse/pump, more than how long, that affects supply. So you won't make you supply too crazy by doing this. - and really when you are super engorged - you have to pump or it's just SO uncomfortable.
Hope that helps a little.

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
March 4th, 2011, 04:44 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
Wow that is so disappointing to hear that your hospital wouldn't give you a syringe We had to suppl. briefly while in hospital b/c no wet diapers + jaundice, but the nurses were careful to let the LCs lead that process and they actually were the ones to show me how to get her to take it from the syringe.

Anyway, congrats on your daughter! And good luck with the transition back to BF - KUP on how you're both doing!!

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search