New with lots of questions

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 27th, 2011, 11:10 AM
CountryGirl1982's Avatar Loving my son!
So, I have a few questioins for you gals.
First of all I need to say that BFing is not one of the easiest things ive done. It comes with a lot of work, patience, time, and dedicatioin.
In the hosptial I was ready to give up. I felt like he was not getting enough to eat and it was breaking my heart. I also had to have help each and every latch... i couldnt imagine coming home and having no help to get him on well enough to eat.

They didnt talk much about pumping so thats my first question.
Do I have to do this? I thought my breast were going to fill by demand?
Also, why am I getting hard lump feeling things in my breast, is this something clogged? Too much milk? Something wrong?
Will I always leak as bad as I am now?
Anyone else have a hard time latching just because the baby keeps his or her hands over their mouth so much while your trying to feed / get the latch?
Why is it when I feed off one side the other leaks so bad?
And my important question, that I guess is just preference, is do you wake your baby to eat? This is a huge one for me because Parker would just sleep and sleep. They told me in the hosptial to take his shirt off and make him a lil uncomfy so maybe he would want to. But I hear from lots of people, never wake a sleeping baby.. so, whats best?

I keep feeling like im doing something wrong, and hes not getting what he needs, and I hate when I have a house full of company and its time to eat, im very big busted and its so hard to hide under a blanket to feed because were still learning.

THanks for any help/advice given.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my wonderful siggy

February 27th, 2011, 01:28 PM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
Congrats for breastfeeding. It is difficult for many women. I had a very hard time the first few months but I am so so happy I persevered through the difficulties. I remember thinking at 1 month, well I'm 1/12 of the way to my goal, I couldn't wait to get to a year. Now at 8 1/2 months it is like second nature most of the time and I plan to breastfeed past a year.

Do I have to do this? I thought my breast were going to fill by demand? for the majority of women there is no need to pump (unless you are pumping to give a bottle, which if you plan to introduce a bottle, it's not recommended to do so until at least 4-6 weeks or so) As long as you put the baby to the breast any time he shows signs he's hungry or wants it, that will signal your body to make milk and the demand and supply cycle will start
Also, why am I getting hard lump feeling things in my breast, is this something clogged? Too much milk? Something wrong? could be just that you are engorged which is pretty common in the beginning. Your body is still figuring out how much milk to make and when. Feed your baby often and that should relieve the pressure. If you can't feed him and you are really uncomfortable, you can hand express some or pump a bit. Don't pump too much because that can signal your body to keep overproducing. You can also take a hot shower and let the water run on your breasts and that should help some milk flow out
Will I always leak as bad as I am now? nope. I slept on a few towels in the beginning because of leaking and soaked nursing pads. After a month or two max, no leaking
Anyone else have a hard time latching just because the baby keeps his or her hands over their mouth so much while your trying to feed / get the latch? If you're having a hard time moving his hands to get latched, maybe your partner can help by letting him hold their fingers away from his mouth while you get setup. I know it all feels pretty awkward in the beginning, but really, it does become much easier with time
Why is it when I feed off one side the other leaks so bad? it's your letdown reflex. Thinking back, that did happen to me at the beginning. I kept a burp cloth positioned on/under the breast we weren't using. It didn't last forever though, only the first few weeks or maybe a month or so
And my important question, that I guess is just preference, is do you wake your baby to eat? This is a huge one for me because Parker would just sleep and sleep. They told me in the hosptial to take his shirt off and make him a lil uncomfy so maybe he would want to. But I hear from lots of people, never wake a sleeping baby.. so, whats best? I don't think I ever had to wake my DD, but the longest sleeping stretch she had for a while was 4-5 hours. How old is he now? How is his weight gain going? After he's a week or two old, and if he is gaining weight fine, I wouldn't wake him, unless it's a really long time (maybe 6 hours at that age?). If you're worried about weight gain I probably wouldn't let him go much longer than 2 hours during the day, maybe 4 at night. Just my opinions though, no medical background or research behind those numbers

I keep feeling like im doing something wrong, and hes not getting what he needs, and I hate when I have a house full of company and its time to eat, im very big busted and its so hard to hide under a blanket to feed because were still learning.

First, trust your body. It was made to breastfeed and provide for a baby For the guests... basically, forget them. I breastfed full out in front of my mom and MIL, sisters and SILs. My FIL I didn't care much about either but he'd usually stay out of the room so he didn't make me uncomfortable. One of the first nights we were home some friends came over and DH brought me a cover. I was still having difficulties latching her (honestly, I had troubles for at least 3 months, but it finally did get easier), so I said screw it, they all came to my house knowing I had a new baby, if they're here, they're gonna see boobie. If you aren't comfortable with that, go to a quiet room with just you and your baby. No guest should expect any type of special guest treatment when there is a new baby.

Good luck and keep chugging along! It does get easier, but there will be hard times along the way. There will be many growth spurts, nursing marathons, etc. But you can do it, just stay positive and find a good support system

February 28th, 2011, 07:57 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
^ Excellent advice!

The first few weeks are difficult, especially during growth spurts when your baby will want to cluster feed. As long as he is producing plenty of wet and dirty diapers, you are doing fine. The easiest way for me to make sure that my dd was getting enough was to always feed on demand even if that meant she had just finished nursing 30 minutes before. I leaked for about 3 months and then everything evened out.
February 28th, 2011, 08:34 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Do I have to do this?

pumping is not for everyone, i only did it because i had to go back to work.

I thought my breast were going to fill by demand? yes they will

Also, why am I getting hard lump feeling things in my breast, is this something clogged? Too much milk? Something wrong?
when i get let downs, especially when DD was younger, i got lumpy looking things from the milk filling up the ducts, but would disapate with her eating. If they are not going away with feedings, then it might be clogged.

Will I always leak as bad as I am now? no, your supply is evening out.

Anyone else have a hard time latching just because the baby keeps his or her hands over their mouth so much while your trying to feed / get the latch?
you will get the hang of it, both of you.

Why is it when I feed off one side the other leaks so bad?
oversupply in the beginning, it will stop eventually, try a burp rag in your bra at home.

And my important question, that I guess is just preference, is do you wake your baby to eat? if it has been more than 2-3 hours I would. if he is too sleepy, you will want to strip him to get him to be more alert.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search