Weight loss

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 28th, 2011, 01:15 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
I've lost a LOT of weight since Teddy was born. I'm starting to worry about my health, and my milk supply. My milk seems fine... but still i worry.

Teddy is allergic to a lot of things, so my diet is pretty limited. I get busy and then forget to eat altogether sometimes. In 5 months, i've lost over 60 lbs. I'm under my prepregnancy weight, and my prepreggo jeans have to be belted because a lot of the weight i lost seems to be in my non existant butt. I've also lost 2 cup sizes... but i guess its normal to even out. I went from an A to a DD, and now i'm a C. I know there are people who which they were in my position, but i think it can't be healthy for me or my supply, and i'm wondering how long i can keep this going. Thoughts?

February 28th, 2011, 04:19 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
maybe Tela will pop in, she dealt with this. you can PM her if you want.

March 1st, 2011, 06:19 AM
tela's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i lost a ton of weight from BFing alone. by the time jacob was 6 months old, i was down to a sickly 112 lbs (i'm 5'6"). i do recommend going to the doctor to rule out anything more serious. my OB ran a bunch of labwork, and i'm healthy as can be! no thyroid issues as they suspected. so i simply had to eat more. 3000 cal/day just to maintain my weight. i added boost/ensure drinks in between meals. it wasn't until jacob turned 1 and i stopped pumping at work that my body put some weight back on. for me, i had to eat and eat and eat in order to maintain my supply. sure, i'm still BFing at 2 years, but it was a struggle to pump FT at work. my body definitely needed a lot more calories than usual (and a lot more than most women) to stay "healthy" and make enough milk for jacob.

ETA i went from a small 34B pre-pregnancy to a fuller 34B after delivery, down to a 32B now, and i've always had plenty of milk. breast size isn't a good indicator of how much milk you have! i have tiny, tiny boobs and was very successful at BFing!
March 1st, 2011, 07:18 AM
thanks for the input. I've lookined into boost and things like that.. but that all contain milk and soy, both of which give Teddy bloody diarrhea.

I picked up some high calorie fruit and nut bars at the store, so i always have something easy to stuff in my mouth when there no time to prepare something or i'm running out the door.

My meals are by no means low cal, but still the weight is falling off. Guess i just have to try harder.

March 1st, 2011, 01:15 PM
..Penelope..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Alice, the same happened to me. By 6 weeks pp, all 40 lbs of pregnancy weight that I had gained was gone. By about 6 months pp I think, I had lost 25 more lbs. As you know, I'm also on a dairy and soy free diet. My LC told me that I should be eating atleast 2500 calories/day, 700 of that for breastfeeding. I've found that if I go below that, I start losing again.

Healthy snacks on hand to grab and eat when necessary has helped. If you have time, you might try baking lactation cookies...supply boost and a snack! I have a couple of recipes in my notes on FB. I don't know if my weight loss contributed to my low supply that started around 6 months, but there is no way of ever knowing, and I certainly wasn't starving myself at any point, so I don't think there was anything that I could have done to change things either way. I think that if you are doing your best to eat as much as you need, then stressing about your supply might just be counterproductive (as hard as I know it is not to!).

HTH!

Missing our angel baby since Feb 7, 2009

Visit
BeaMade for unique, adorable, high quality handmade crochet hats and booties, velcro free soother clips and soft sole baby boots.
March 3rd, 2011, 01:30 AM
Lala78's Avatar Super Mommy
I gained 22 lbs during pregnancy and I've lost 46 pounds in 4 months but it seems to be leveling off a bit. I eat whatever I want (veey healthy though, and mostly oeganic) but a lot of the time Have to remind myself to eat. I do wake up starving. Its mostly lunch that I'm not that hungry. I think your body just needs to find its equilibrium.

[url=http://lilypie.com]
March 3rd, 2011, 08:47 PM
CA-mommy-to-be's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I gained about 35 pounds in my pregnancy. Six months later, I've lost all of that plus an additional 12 pounds.

(Boob wise, I started out as a 38C and am now a 34E.)

I agree with the suggestions to have snacks and meals ready on hand.

My doctor recommended some of the diet shake drinks - it's liquid protein and easy to supplement your diet. I don't use them to lose weight, I use them to increase my protein intake and keep my fluids up at the same time.

Welcomed daughter Miranda on December 18, 2013

Never doubt someone's passion. I'm a women engineer and proud of it!

March 3rd, 2011, 09:43 PM
Thanks ladies. Unfortunately I can't drink any sort of protein shake due to his allergies.

And now teddys been pooping frank blood since finding these health bars ive been eating. So I think he's allergic to nuts on top of the milk soy and egg.

I just want to cry.

March 5th, 2011, 07:11 PM
..Penelope..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh my gosh Alice, I'm so sorry

Missing our angel baby since Feb 7, 2009

Visit
BeaMade for unique, adorable, high quality handmade crochet hats and booties, velcro free soother clips and soft sole baby boots.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search