Breastfeeding 911

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 28th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Tiny Loves
I'm having a really horrible problem. My poor almost 11 month old son is having hard stools. I EBF until about a month or two ago when he started showing interest in LOTS of foods. He still only eats (at best) one meal and one snack a day and the rest all BM. I think my supply is decreasing. I'm taking fenugreek, I eat oatmeal about 3 times a week, drink tons of fluids....My boobs just don't feel "full" anymore. I feel like I'm starving him. I didn't plan on weaning this early...is this just him trying to wean? He has a sippy cup that I put water in, but never drinks more than about 4 to 5 oz of water a day (only because I thought extra water would help the constipation). Why am I drying up? I feel terrible. I never thought I'd get so upset over this, but I feel like I'm failing my kid..........

Someone please help.

February 28th, 2011, 01:50 PM
I doubt you're drying up. I stopped feeling full probably by 3 months (never got engorged in the early days either), it is really not an indicator. I EBF for 6 months and am still breastfeeding and pregnant even though I cant squeeze a drop out (DD says there is milk there).

I think that if your supply really was going down that he'd be eating more of the solids. I would think that the constipation is just his system getting used to the food. I remember that DD had some constipation issues in the early days. What really helped us was to give her prunes. I usually tried to aim for one poo a day and so if she had gone a day and a half without I'd give her as much prunes as she wanted. I think I also experimented a bit with giving her few spoons a day but that was short lived. I think it probably took couple of months before her system got used to the solids.

ETA: I also noticed that as DD got older that I stopped hearing her swallowing and gulping the milk as much. It was only during night feedings that I did. It's bit unnerving since you cant see any evidence except plenty of wet diapers.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
February 28th, 2011, 01:52 PM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
Well.. for the fullness, I haven't felt "full" for months, except for in the mornings if she sleeps well or if I only nurse on one side at night. I think it's pretty common to not feel full once your supply regulates.

For the constipation, prune juice, prunes, and pears seem to help my DD.

I've read it's pretty uncommon for a baby to self wean before 18 months or so at the earliest. Is he rejecting nursing or has he cut back a lot? Why do you think he's starving? If he is still nursing and happy and content and wetting enough diapers each day there is no reason to think you're drying up or that he's weaning.

February 28th, 2011, 03:18 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
i do not think he is self weaning or that you are drying up. I would try some prune juice (i even made prune jello!) or applesauce to get things moving and cut back starchy foods, dairy and bananas until the BMs are less hard. Hang in there!!

February 28th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Tiny Loves
I feel like he's starving because he wants to nurse all the time. Up until about 4 or 5 days ago, I felt full and would start tingling and could still watch my boobs get lumpy and let down. I'm not feeling that at all.

More than anything, I think I'm nervous. I didn't plan on stopping breastfeeding until he was at least 2, and then only if he didn't want it anymore. I definitely feel like he wants it now, but he gets so frustrated after about 5 minutes, switches to the other side and gets frustrated again. And just keeps going like that for about 30 minutes, then gives up for an hour or so and starts again.

I'm definitely going to give the prunes a try, I might have a pear in my refrigerator though that I'll try first if so.

Should I start pumping in between sessions? I've always been nervous to do that because I didn't want to steal his milk if he for some reason was hungry right after that......

February 28th, 2011, 04:19 PM
could you be getting your period?

February 28th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Tiny Loves
I guess I could. It hasn't returned yet. That could cause this dip?

February 28th, 2011, 05:01 PM
yes, getting your period can cause a temporary dip in supply. this is probably the cause, as there seems to be no other reason you would have a dip (illness, unusual stress, decongestants, etc).

March 1st, 2011, 07:53 AM
Tiny Loves
Thank you! I was so nervous! I'll be packing a few of my pads in my diaper bag and an extra wet bag just in case AF shows soon!

March 1st, 2011, 12:08 PM
..Penelope..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I hope that you figure it out and things return to normal soon! KUP!

Missing our angel baby since Feb 7, 2009

Visit
BeaMade for unique, adorable, high quality handmade crochet hats and booties, velcro free soother clips and soft sole baby boots.
March 2nd, 2011, 06:11 AM
Tiny Loves
So. This morning I woke up to ferocious cramps and the long awaited and dreaded return of AF! Thank you so much, I'm sure I sounded ridiculous, but I just knew something wasn't right! I start temping tomorrow!

March 2nd, 2011, 07:55 AM
now you know! you were not crazy at all, this is what we are here for!!!!!

March 2nd, 2011, 06:17 PM
..Penelope..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hope it's not too bad!

Missing our angel baby since Feb 7, 2009

Visit
BeaMade for unique, adorable, high quality handmade crochet hats and booties, velcro free soother clips and soft sole baby boots.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search