He's started weaning... BUT...

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 1st, 2011, 05:34 AM
Super Mommy
Vinny started weaning himself; just a couple weeks ago he would go 2 hours between feedings no matter how much actual food he got and he got 3 meals a day and sometimes a couple snacks. Then all of a sudden he started only eating a couple times a day, maybe 4 times at most in a 12 hour period. BUT he isn't weaning AT ALL at night, in fact he isn't going even 3 hours anymore. He is getting up every hour to 2 hours and rarely he'll go 3 hours maybe once during the night. I don't care if he wants to wean and I don't care if he stayed eating every 2 hours; I just want him to get everything he needs but this just seems unfair. We are moving from Japan to the states in 4 weeks so I'm doing everything for the move plus planning a month long vacation, my DS's 5th birthday and I'm taking college classes right now plus the fact that I have to take care of Vinny and my 2 other children (3 if you count my DH lol) so I really need sleep.

Would trying to feed him more during the day possibly get him to go longer at night like maybe he just has his times messed up?

March 1st, 2011, 05:44 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Are you trying to wean him? Babies will not self wean before 18-24 months. He is probably too distracted during the day to nurse and is doing it all at night. I would try to offer the breast more to tank him up during the day instead of the night.

March 1st, 2011, 03:28 PM
Super Mommy
I'm not trying to wean him, I was perfectly fine with feeding him every 2 hours but then he didn't want to eat that often all of a sudden. I'm planning on weaning him at 12 months (and least that's the plan, who knows what will happen in 3 months... 1 year was always my dream goal and never thought I'd make it) so I figured him starting to go longer between feedings was good because it will make it easier when he turns 1. I'll try feeding him more during the day and see if that helps him at night. He is also getting in 4 new teeth... 3 have almost broken through all the way and 1 is close, so I wasn't sure if he was wanting more comfort at night because he has always been in a comfort nurser. I'm so tired at night that I can't try to postpone him and it takes me a bit to realize that he isn't actually eating or that he has fallen asleep.

March 1st, 2011, 03:58 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
If it is his teeth, have you tried some motrin before bed?

March 1st, 2011, 05:17 PM
Hazel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It doesn't sound like weaning to me, just normal behavior for some babies at this age! If he's working on some new milestones during the day, he may just be too busy to nurse that often and if he doesn't get it during the day, he'll make it up at night One thing you can try to encourage him to nurse more during the day instead of at night is take him into a darkened, quiet room during the day to nurse--without distractions, he might stay still long enough for a good feed and cut back on how much he needs to get at night. Both of my boys have been through this (several times) and they eventually go back to a more "normal" nursing routine of more during the day and sleeping at night
March 1st, 2011, 07:40 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Sounds like what my dd2 is doing and they are close in age. She is easily distracted by her sister, the dogs, or whatever is going on in our house at the moment so she ends up nursing 2-4 times at night.
March 2nd, 2011, 08:18 AM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Kate has really stopped nursing much during the day, I try to catch her when she's going down for a nap, she really tanks up well when she's sleepy and it's dark. She's still nursing twice in the middle of the night and I'm not going to stop feeding her at night until/unless she starts nursing more during the day... I want to make sure she gets enough milk! They're just SO distractable now. (Which is funny, because up until a couple months ago she was still nursing every 2 hours and I thought she would be addicted forever. Ha! Now I'm trying to cajole her to take the boob when we're out and it's impossible!

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
March 2nd, 2011, 06:41 PM
Super Mommy
Sorry I haven't been on... it's been crazy! DH went to the ER in pain and ended up having emergency surgery to remove his appendix. He went in for surgery around 3am and I of course couldn't be there because of the boys so I was at home... not sleeping... worried about him.

Vinny has started sleeping a little bit better at night. He went from eating 5-6 times in an 8 hour period to only 3-4 times so I'm happy. He isn't really eating more during the day but I try to feed him and I try to give him plenty of actual food when he doesn't want to breastfeed. I want to make sure he gets plenty of nurishment but I can't force him to breastfeed because he'll bite if he isn't interested. I have tried taking him in another room but it's hard because he still won't eat if he isn't hungry... even if I try BEFORE he eats regular food. I think he just cares more about eating regular food because he sees everyone else doing so, especially his older brothers. He won't even eat baby food anymore, he eats the toddler stuff or whatever we're eating. I think he is also going a bit longer at night because his finally tooth has broken through more so he isn't needing the comfort as much. Thanks ladies... I don't care how much or how long he breastfeeds just as long as he is getting what he needs and that we are both happy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search