New mama with questions

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 6th, 2011, 02:09 PM
JustLiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi everyone! My name is Liz and I just gave birth to my first about a week and a half ago. He is a beautiful baby boy. We seem to be doing great with bfing in general. He had no problems latching and my milk came in at day 3.

However, I have noticed recently that we seem to be "wrestling" before he latches. This happens particularly if he's really hungry. He opens his mouth wide and gets ready to latch, but at the last moment he pushes my breast away with his hand. I can hold his arm away, but then sometimes he starts sucking on his other hand and I can't hold them both! This usually goes on for several minutes until he finally latches and then he is totally fine. Anyone else experience this? Any advice?

Another question I have for you ladies - when did you start pumping? My dh is anxious for me to pump because he wants to feed the little guy, but I am not so sure we should start yet. I am not going back to work for another 5 months, so there is no rush as far as I'm concerned, and I want to make sure we don't lose ground with the breast feeding. Any thoughts? Thanks!!

Thank you Vicki!

March 6th, 2011, 02:44 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
for the wrestling... its just a stage you have to get through. It gets easier as then are able to latch themselves easier and easier. My son still tries to eat his hands when he's really hungry though. I've learned to tuck his bottom arm under my arm and along my body, so he can't use it. Then i try to put my shirt or something into his other hand. (I know this is more difficult with a little baby)

As for pumping? I would really wait at least 3-4 weeks. New nursing breasts are senstive, and pumps can really damage tissue. Even now that i'm a regular pumper, I can be a little sore if i've had to pump a lot in one day. Haha, your DH will probably be less eager when he finds that baby doesn't welcome the bottle as well as the breast.

March 6th, 2011, 04:30 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
the hand thing is a phase, it will pass!

as far as the pumping/bottle, it is recommended to not introduce artificial nipples/ bottles until 4-6 weeks or until the latch is well established. It is nice DH wants to feed your LO but there are so many other ways for your DH to bond with the baby. Baths, nap time, wearing baby in a wrap, etc.

BONDING WITH YOUR NEWBORN

March 6th, 2011, 10:08 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ahhh, the hand thing, I remember that. Like she'd get so over-excited that she'd totally forget what to do. Oi. I remember Kate opening her mouth wide over my nipple and then shaking her head so that my nipple ricocheted off the sides of her mouth, and she'd be all frantic "EH EH EH!" as she did it. When really it was all up to her, she just had to calm down and latch! It does pass.

The pumping.... well, I pumped a very little bit in the first few weeks just to let off some of the pressure (I was seriously engorged). It's not fun though, especially not when your nipples are still so sensitive and sore. I'd wait until 3-4 weeks to introduce a bottle to your little man. (I know some wait longer, but I know several friends whose baby had problems adjusting to the bottle, or refusing to take one at all, when they waited too much longer than 4 weeks to first try it). It will probably not be an easy introduction, there's a learning curve for most babies.

I know your hubby is probably really really excited (mine was!). It's hard on them, since we with the boobs have the baby most of the time. I really encouraged my hubby to hold Kate as she slept, to bounce her around, to give her tons of cuddles, to dress her and change her diaper. As they get more interactive that burning need to feed her a bottle has gotten less and less, now I don't think he really cares if I nurse her before I go and when I get back or if he gives her a bottle, he has so many other things to do with her. But I know at the beginning it really was so important to him.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
March 7th, 2011, 07:56 AM
JustLiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks everyone. Desmond does the head shaking thing too. I guess none of it really matters as long as he gets it eventually.

Dh and I have been staying up with him at night in shifts, and he feels bad that he can't do longer shifts if Des gets hungry. But he's sleeping longer at night now anyway, so it matters less now.

Thank you Vicki!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search