MEDICATION QUESTION

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 10th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Super Mommy
I had a c-section on Wednesday. My dr. gave me a prescription for oxycontin to take for the pain. I am breastfeeding.

My doc said that it isn't a problem to take the med while breastfeeding, but my MIL is having a fit saying that I am completely hurting the baby.

Has anyone else taken this drug while breastfeeding?
April 10th, 2005, 10:13 PM
Veteran
Welcome to the board!
I didn't use oxycontin after having a c-section last year. During the first 2 days in the hospital I used Tylenol 3, and after that I used extra strength Tylenol. I don't even know what's in Tylenol 3, I think it might be codeine. The doctor's and nurses said that they were safe to take while breastfeeding.
Sorry, but I don't know how safe oxycontin is to take while bfing.
Expecting #2 in October
April 11th, 2005, 05:02 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Check out this info from www.kellymom.com http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/pain-meds.html

i hope it helps. Congrats on your new arrival and your decision to breastfeed!

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
April 11th, 2005, 07:59 AM
Regular
I don't know about oxycontin, but after my c-section I was on vicadin, then an insane dosage of Motrin for 2 weeks, colace, an antibiotic for mastitis, etc. I had to begin pumping right away (babies in NiCU). All the dr.'s assured me it was fine. My babies are great--very ahead of the traditional development timetable. I would imagine your dr. knows what he's talking about. You could always call another dr. for a second opinion.
April 11th, 2005, 02:35 PM
threeboyznme70's Avatar Veteran
it's safe, just not the best choice! Just watch for drowsiness in the baby, otherwise, you should be good. It's an L3! Same as codeine.

hth
Tracy
April 11th, 2005, 08:31 PM
Veteran
threeboyznme70,
what's an L3? This probably contributed to drowsiness in DD when she was in the hospital. She was also sleepy from jaundice.
Expecting #2 in October
April 12th, 2005, 01:35 PM
threeboyznme70's Avatar Veteran
L1 is safest
L2 is safer
L3 is safe
L4 is not recommended

if you had any drugs during your delivery, that could have had more to do with her drowsiness than the meds you are taking now.

statistically, newborns don't NEED to eat for 36 hours, it's not uncommon for them to be exhausted. Delivery isn't just exhausting for momma!

HTH
Tracy

www.kellymom.com has an explanation of the medication L = lactation.

If you plan to nurse for any length of time, maybe pick up a copy of Mother's Milk & Medications by Dr. Thomas Hale! It will be a tremendous help throughout your nursing relationship. Since docs tend to use the PDR and it's not a reliable source for what meds are safe for a nursing mom.
April 13th, 2005, 04:23 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
I used it after my csection. It is fine. If your MIL is flipping out I would just not tell her your taking it. Its really not any of her business.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
April 14th, 2005, 10:08 AM
mamasboys0204's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to mamasboys0204
they wouldn't give it to you if it would hurt the baby. i had 2 c-sections and was put on pain meds and they babies did fine!
xoxo, Tiffany

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search