history ? about problems with bfing

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 11th, 2005, 07:42 PM
Veteran
Does anyone know much about the history of breastfeeding, my question is:

1) What would a baby eat if the mother didn't produce any milk?

I was wondering this because I often hear and read that some moms say that they stopped breastfeeding because they didn't produce enough milk.

My second question is:

2) Do you think that this is mainly an issue in industrialized countries (women saying
that they don't produce enough milk)?

I ask this because I would think that most people in third world countries wouldn't be able to afford the high cost of baby formula.

*edited spelling
Expecting #2 in October
April 12th, 2005, 06:51 AM
Natural Blessings's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Rarely is a woman not able to produce enough milk. Women in developed countries who say that are often told that by their dr's becaue their kids are not in the 50th %+ range on formula fed baby charts. In developing countries babies/kids are breastfed until they are 5-7years, mothers do not have the issues women in developed countries have. Even with poor nutrition, diseases and such women in those countries seem to be able to bf'd. In fact studies show that poor nutrition does not make breastmilk that is lacking in nutrients. These women cosleep, wear their babies and feed thier babies whenever they are hungry and not by some formula company's idea of how often a baby should eat.

Wet nurses are also more prevalent in developing countries, that means if moms' breasts aren't available to nurse the closest milk producing breast will.

If the formula companies would get out of the dr's offices, tv, magazines, etc and stop pushing thier formula on everyone more babies would be bf'd because it would seem normal and right to everyone.
April 12th, 2005, 08:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree that it is truely rare, but that you hear it from a lot of women anyway. I think part of the problem is they think they're not producing enough, so they start supplementing with formula and because of that their bodies do actually start producing less. I think there are mothers out there who think they only need to breasfeed 15 min on each side every 3 hours or some other schedule they read about somewhere, but baby always seems hungry anyway so they assume they must not be producing enough. And when they give formula, baby stays satisfied longer confirming to them that their milk is the problem. And doctors being so undereducated on the subject only furthers the problem since they are likely to say something along the lines of the baby doing so much better on formula, gaining weight, sleeping better etc...
It kills me when I hear a mom say her baby was so hungry, she had to give formula and put cereal in the bottle when the baby was only 2 weeks old. If only she realized that it's totally normal for a baby to be at the breast almost constantly in the beginning.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
April 12th, 2005, 04:16 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Quote:
Does anyone know much about the history of breastfeeding, my question is:

1) What would a baby eat if the mother didn't produce any milk?

I was wondering this because I often hear and read that some moms say that they stopped breastfeeding because they didn't produce enough milk.[/b]
I believe women with supply issues in underdeveloped countries end up either getting someone else to nurse their baby if that is available or using some form of homemade formula that does not have the nutrients their child needs.

Quote:
My second question is:

2) Do you think that this is mainly an issue in industrialized countries (women saying
that they don't produce enough milk)?

I ask this because I would think that most people in third world countries wouldn't be able to afford the high cost of baby formula.[/b]
I don't know why but this has struck a nerve with me. I have tried to word this post several times throughout the day and I just probably won't be able to get this out without offending someone. I am sorry but I take some of this very personally. My son had failure to thrive because of supply issues on my end and suck/swallow issues on his end. I believe that women have supply issues more often than people think. I do not believe women just go around saying I wasn't making enough milk for no reason. Perhaps they are given poor advice on how to handle supply issues but I think supply issues are a common problem with breastfeeding and the biggest reason why many women quit. I have had too many friends that have gone through major depression and feeling like a failure of a mom because of struggling to breastfeed.

I know that my supply issues were real and not because I am uneducated or because I was given bad advice. In fact, I seen several lactation consultants and they were the ones who said that I needed to supplement because my son had FTT. After following their advice, I later was given grief by well meaning bfing friends telling me that my supply was low because I was supplementing. They did not take the time to find out the details of my case just made assumptions.

I know that this was not directed at me personally but I have had a lot of friends go through the heartbreaking struggle of having problems breastfeeding. And I don't really think this can be dismissed by "oh we have formula in the US/Canada, so our moms just don't have to make breastfeeding work". Maybe that is not the way the post was intended but that is how it came across to me. I for one, am grateful to live in a country that has formula available to moms. I am a 100 percent committed breastfeeding mom but I know that my son needed to be supplemented. He is still being supplemented. He still does not eat for the most part. At 21 months he is still getting most of his nutrients from artificial milk (in the form of pediasure)

Sorry for the very long post.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
April 15th, 2005, 10:37 PM
Veteran
Thanks all for the replies. These are just two questions that I've been thinking about recently. If I want to know how others feel about something, or if I'm looking for answers about something I will ask. This is what I've done, and didn't intend to strike a nerve.

Sometimes I wonder if I should even bother to ask questions here. It seems like there's always someone who doesn't like to read the opinions of others.
Expecting #2 in October
April 16th, 2005, 03:59 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
I am not offended by you. I think that those were legitimate questions. I was just sharing what I thought. I actually like reading other people's opinions even when they don't agree with mine. I am very openminded, tolerant, and reasonable. (I try to be anyway).

I was just sharing what I felt as well.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
April 17th, 2005, 01:55 PM
lynn_uk's Avatar Super Mommy
I think these are very good questions wih relevant answers, it has made me stop and think anyway.

Am I not producing enough, or am I just worring too much? If I was feeding more regularly in 24 hrs I think I wuold be OK, but using Gina Ford I am feeding less at night and craming most feeds into 7am to 7pm. Hmmm, hadn't thought of that before.

Formlua feeds are very easy, more acceptale in public and pushed through advertisng. however UK Midwifes push a strict bf policy and I think they put some people off for good.

The odds are against bf, no wonder people give up

Lynn
(New Mum, learning fast that we are supposed to not be seen or heard)

April 18th, 2005, 01:49 AM
~Trina~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ~Trina~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~Trina~
Quote:
Originally posted by pattyandthemoos@Apr 12 2005, 07:16 PM
I don't know why but this has struck a nerve with me.* I have tried to word this post several times throughout the day and I just probably won't be able to get this out without offending someone.* I am sorry but I take some of this very personally.* My son had failure to thrive because of supply issues on my end and suck/swallow issues on his end.* I believe that women have supply issues more often than people think.* I do not believe women just go around saying I wasn't making enough milk for no reason.* Perhaps they are given poor advice on how to handle supply issues but I think supply issues are a common problem with breastfeeding and the* biggest reason why many women quit.* I have had too many friends that have gone through major depression and feeling like a failure of a mom because of struggling to breastfeed.*

I know that my supply issues were real and not because I am uneducated or because I was given bad advice.* In fact, I seen several lactation consultants and they were the ones who said that I needed to supplement because my son had FTT.* After following their advice, I later was given grief by well meaning bfing friends telling me that my supply was low because I was supplementing.* They did not take the time to find out the details of my case just made assumptions.

I know that this was not directed at me personally but I have had a lot of friends go through the heartbreaking struggle of having problems breastfeeding.* And I don't really think this can be dismissed by "oh we have formula in the US/Canada, so our moms just don't have to make breastfeeding work".* Maybe that is not the way the post was intended but that is how it came across to me.* I for one, am grateful to live in a country that has formula available to moms. <div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

I couldn't have said this better myself!!

I happened to wander in here out of boredom at almost 5 am... I have only been in here a couple of times and have been very put off my a lot of people...so I don't stop in too often.

"A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water." -- Eleanor Roosevelt

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search